Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-07-2017, 08:33 PM   #1
New Camper

Electrical problem

Hello guys new to the site so thanks for having me. I have a sunset trail reserve and last night my power quit. One of the 15 amp breakers popped and also popped the one in my house. I had it hooked to an extension cord. Today I had an electrician looked at it the wire coming from the breaker goes to my power converter and branches of two two 14 2 wires one goes to the front plugins belonging to the tv fireplace and one in the master bedroom. The other wire goes through the floor so I'm not sure where it goes but I'm assuming it goes to one of five junction boxes that is connected to the slides haven't checked the plugins in the outdoor kitchen yet, the electrician turned on all breakers except the one popping and the microwave worked with a lot of other plugins but no lights . When we turned on the other 15 amp breaker you could here a sound then popped the breaker again he's thinking there's a ground problem in one of the two wires coming from it but also the power converter is hooked to it he unhooked the power converter and hooked up the white wires to the breaker and still popped
Monkeyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 10:54 PM   #2
Gone Traveling

Usually all the lighting is 12 volt so not through breakers but fuses.
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 04:04 AM   #3
Seasonal Camper

Please add your unit to your signature.

Maybe we can be more helpful if we knew which unit you have.

2020 Ram 2500 Bighorn 6.7 Diesel
2014 Zinger 27RL (Traded)
2022 Grand Design Reflection 315RLTS
markandkim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 04:56 AM   #4
New Camper

The trailer is a 33 by sunset trail reserve it has a wfco model wf 8955pec converter. The light work when I hook her up to my truck the problem is with the two wires that come from the breaker that says front on it. We tested the breaker and he's good the breaker also connects to the converter however we disconnected the converter to see if the breaker would still pop and it did
Monkeyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 08:13 AM   #5
Full Time Camper

You need to do a through check and find every 120v outlet and appliance that has NO power with that breaker off. Maybe that the wires going to a slideout have been pinched and caused a short. Those are the most suspect because of the slide movement. Otherwise could be a short in one of the outlet boxes. Should be something the electrician can figure out.
Dayle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 02:40 PM   #6
Weekend Camper

We had a chronic elec. short in the living area of our rv...... tripped on and off for yrs.... worked sometimes and tripped constantly at times. Last summer, thought I'd play elect. Long story short...... junction box under slide was half full of water...... Had a gasket and made no sense how water was in box.... light bulb went off... they had used self tapping screws to mount box. Guess what is on the other side of frame rail.... yep, fresh water holding tank. So I drained and cleaned box.... sprayed a bunch of waterproofing to stop leak from holding tank.... When I had enough water in holding tank, leaked and filled elec box, causing short..... usually keep tank 1/4 full, then I would have no shorts. Can't make it up
2011 27' RLX
gregtx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 07:32 PM   #7
Weekend Camper

Short

I had a past camper that the junction box under slide got fire ants in it and caused a short, so check that out also
Old 05-10-2017, 07:51 AM   #8
Seasonal Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by walters View Post
I had a past camper that the junction box under slide got fire ants in it and caused a short, so check that out also
Mine had water in it from driving down the road. That's why I asked which unit he had.

2020 Ram 2500 Bighorn 6.7 Diesel
2014 Zinger 27RL (Traded)
2022 Grand Design Reflection 315RLTS
markandkim is offline   Reply With Quote