Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-27-2018, 03:00 PM   #1
Family Vacation Member

Electrical Question from a novice

Ok, Got an electrical question I hope someone can answer. When you are plugged into shore power, are the things that run on battery power now running off shore power or are they still running off the battery?

For example, the awning runs off battery power. When I am plugged in, could the awning slow retraction be because of a battery not very charged?
Old 06-27-2018, 03:22 PM   #2
Weekend Camper

IMPRES:
Others here know more than I do, so if anyone contradicts me I say go with their answer...

However, I believe that all the items powered by your batteries are always powered by your batteries. The only difference is your batteries are being charged when you are plugged into shore power, assuming you are using less than you are drawing in...
"Life is what happens while you're busy making plans"
smw57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 06:10 PM   #3
Full Time Camper

Steve
You are correct...
2022 Alliance Avenue 32RLS

In God We Trust
A proud member of the one percent...Semper Fi
sleepyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 06:31 PM   #4
Site Team

Yes and no. The converter charges the battery but all the 12 volt lights water pump spark for the water heater and refrigerator Front jacks and slide motors will all work with out a battery connected if plugged in to electric . At least mine does. I remove the battery in the winter and if plugged in to the 30 amp plug everything works. So if I understand correctly the converter provides 12 volt to charge the battery and also 12 volt to all the 12 volt stuff. Once the battery is charged that part goes to float mode but the converter still has full power to everything else. Disclaimer: Your model may vary!!
dagst1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 04:47 AM   #5
Family Vacation Member

reason I ask...

Couldn't that explain why some of our awnings seem to be working on low power?

My awning at times seems to barely move, sometimes having to be helped by me. I don't pay very much attention to my batteries. Especially at the beginning of the year when I first open up my rig.
Old 07-01-2018, 03:17 PM   #6
Weekend Camper

You have a 12 volt DC circuit......when only batteries it is the voltage of your batteries, when plugged into shore power your converter changes the AC120 volts to DC “12” volts. But really 13.5 volts or so. Voltage is like water pressure.....your converter has to increase the voltage (pressure) so electricity flows into your battery.....it monitors your battery and when your battery voltage climbs up close to 12 or 12.2 volts it drops the voltage down to about 13 volts....then when fully charged the converter drops to about 12.7 and maintains full battery voltage which is about 12.7 I believe.

Think of two tanks of water connected by a pipe. Pressurize one and the water (electricity) will flow to the lower pressure tank. At some point they reach equilibrium. 13.7 volts is too high for a 12 volt system and will fry your battery, but if it didn’t charge at 13.7 volts it would take forever to charge the battery.

So the answer is your DC circuit is at the highest voltage of whatever is connected to it....a 13.7 volt charging voltage, a 12.7 maintaining voltage, a full battery at 12.7 volts or at a near dead battery at 11.3 volts. Your motors will operate at different speeds depending on the system voltage. When plugged into your car they should operate quicker than on only battery, especially if the battery is weak.
n9740b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 05:07 PM   #7
Weekend Camper

Don't forget to check the water in the battery at least once a month. No joy if they run dry.
Winterpegger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 10:45 PM   #8
Weekend Camper

So it sounds lime you hsve an issue. As said above low water in your battery or bad battery. Could also be your converter is weak or bad.
Evereddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 06:53 PM   #9
Weekend Camper

Send a message via AIM to Woody Send a message via MSN to Woody Send a message via Yahoo to Woody
I have been advised from people in the RV business as well
as in the book that came with my new rv that to never use
slides without being plugged into shore power or it should be
plugged into running vehicle to supply full amps of electricity
to the motors, I assume they need full amps to work right
and to last longer.

2006 Cruiser CF29RE (sold)

1996 F350 PSD Dully (sold)

Honda 2000i (2)
Woody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 05:56 AM   #10
Seasonal Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woody View Post
I have been advised from people in the RV business as well
as in the book that came with my new rv that to never use
slides without being plugged into shore power or it should be
plugged into running vehicle to supply full amps of electricity
to the motors, I assume they need full amps to work right
and to last longer.

I have never heard that but always wait until I'm hooked to power because the motor struggles less and I figured it saved wear on both batteries and motors. Running truck tip is a good idea too if you are boondocking.