Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-30-2010, 04:20 AM   #1
JPG
Weekend Camper

I want to seal around the roof vents and was wondering what size tape I should get. Also, where is the best place to purchase it?

2003 Chevy 2500HD-Duramax/Allison

2005 Cruiser CF28RL

https://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b3...IMG_2043-1.jpg
JPG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 04:34 AM   #2
Full Time Camper

I used 4" at the seams where the front and back caps join the roof and around the vents. I purchased mine at the site below.

http://www.bestmaterials.com/detail.aspx?ID=11341

Hunter11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 04:41 AM   #3
JPG
Weekend Camper

Thanks Keith. Did you remove the old caulk, or go right over it?

2003 Chevy 2500HD-Duramax/Allison

2005 Cruiser CF28RL

https://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b3...IMG_2043-1.jpg
JPG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 04:45 AM   #4
Full Time Camper

I cleaned all of mine really good because it was in good shape and wait for a warm day and put it right over the old caulk. Just take your time because once it sticks it is not coming up easy.
Hunter11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 05:57 AM   #5
Family Vacation Member

I usually use 2 inch as it is easier to maneuver around things but nothing wrong with 4 inch. I also strongly recommend getting the primer for it as it makes the bond real good. As was stated clean real good and if realitively smooth and clean do it to it. I too have found Bestmaterials to be the good price & service company to deal with. When we get our new unit that is the first thing to be done in the spring to go over all critical areas with Ebond. I also am going to go over all decals with 303 protectant as that keeps them like new when used a couple of times a year.. IMHO Jb
Old 11-30-2010, 08:20 AM   #6
Family Vacation Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by John B
I usually use 2 inch as it is easier to maneuver around things but nothing wrong with 4 inch. I also strongly recommend getting the primer for it as it makes the bond real good. As was stated clean real good and if realitively smooth and clean do it to it. I too have found Bestmaterials to be the good price & service company to deal with. When we get our new unit that is the first thing to be done in the spring to go over all critical areas with Ebond. I also am going to go over all decals with 303 protectant as that keeps them like new when used a couple of times a year.. IMHO Jb

John, I have been using 303 for at least 14 years. I use it mostly on my tires, sealsand the awnings, but I've never tried using it on my decals. Have you done that in the past for a number of years with good results? I am always looking for a good way to preserve the decals as that has always been a problem on all the RV's I have owned. A couple of good waxings a year seems to extend the years that they look good. But after 5 or 6 years, no matter how well maintained they start to fade and or peel. On average I keep my RV's 7-10 years so I get to watch them fade.

If 303 is the fix, I am ready to start doing it. On the other hand I don't want to find out 4 or 5 years down the road that it was a big mistake. So I'm looking for some long term experience with it on decals.

2007 CF30SK Cruiser

2006 Dodge 5.9 CTD,48e,4x4,QC

https://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t...CRUISER1-1.jpg
Ridgeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 01:42 AM   #7
Family Vacation Member

I too have known of 303 for a long time and there was a time when the epdm roofing folks recommended it onlyfor their roof nothing else..

I personally have not used it on decals but do know that waxes do nothing to protect them & in some cases make the problem worse & aren't recommended to be used.

I am taking the word of a log time member of another forum who offers very valid info on many subjects.I have already purchased the product & as soon as I get south & the weather allows I will be doing it to mine.

I lost the decals on one side of our PP by the UV attacks and it was waxed/polished 2 times yearly or more to no avail so I am going to take the test & really believe it will do the job..JMHO jb
Old 12-01-2010, 12:06 PM   #8
Family Vacation Member

Thanks John, Please let us know how it works.

2007 CF30SK Cruiser

2006 Dodge 5.9 CTD,48e,4x4,QC

https://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t...CRUISER1-1.jpg
Ridgeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 07:14 AM   #9
Weekend Camper

A question on the use of 303. I purchased a large bottle to do the whole rig and found it very difficult to apply and as soon as it rained the unit had streaks all over it. I thought maybe I put it on to heavy? Any ideas and how do you apply it to fiberglass. Thanks

bawjw is offline   Reply With Quote