Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-06-2012, 10:45 AM   #1
New Camper

Send a message via AIM to schexnailder
Hey guys! We are selling our old cruiser and buying a new cruiser. Is the extended warranty worth it? Just would love to hear your opinion on them and if they are worth a darn! Thanks.
schexnailder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 10:55 AM   #2
Full Time Camper

To me if you buy a 5 to 7 year extended warranty you are paying for two years you don't need to pay for because your new unit will have a 2 year warranty on it. I waited for our two year warranty to expire then bought an ESP through Good Sam. I think it is costing us about $400 per year for full coverage.
Hunter11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 02:35 PM   #3

I don't know. If you do buy it I hope it works out for you. I have never bought the extended warranty on a camper, but I have on other things. Seems to me when you need it, " Oh, I'm sorry that isn't covered under the extended warranty". But like I said I have never purchased it on a camper; just my 2 cents. Which you probably couldn't get but a penny for it anyway.LOL
Old 02-06-2012, 10:21 PM   #4
New Camper

Send a message via AIM to schexnailder
Thanks for all the input. I know I don't usually ever buy extended warranties and just thought it would be nice to feel secure about if anything goes wrong, after the manufacturer's warranty expires, I would have it covered. I'm really leaning towards just not getting it. It's $1800.00 for 3 years after manufacturer's warranty.
schexnailder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 10:54 PM   #5
Full Time Camper

I bought an XtraRide Platinum Towable extended warranty last July from wholesalewarranties.net for $1,297. The warranty has a $50 deductible and is just about bumper to hitch. The warranty is for 84 months, WAY past the end of my CR now expired factory warranty, six years past. I am confident I will more than get my initial investment back.
These extended warranties are very similar to buying a car or RV in that there is so much profit in the dealer's initial offering price. In the end RV Wholesalers and ExploreUSA both came close but WholesaleWarranties gave the best price from the get-go. I did check this company out before I gave them my hard earned cash.

Art and Karen
2013 Itasca Sunstar 35F, 2013 Ford C Max toad.
170 nights in 2013
132 in 2014
artgpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 03:58 AM   #6
Family Vacation Member

I got mine at the time of purchase, paid about what Art did, 60 months starting after the two year warrenty. That gives me 7 years of protection. One major appliance goes bad I pretty much have my money back, if a 2nd one would happen to go bad I'm way ahead. It's a gamble, if nothing were to happen I'd be out $1,200. My thinking was I can afford it more now while still working, than to replacesomething majorwhen retired. If it wasn't for that I believe I would have passed.

Flyone
Old 02-07-2012, 07:57 AM   #7
Family Vacation Member

I have noticed over the years that if somethings fails, it fails right a way or within a reasonable time - under normal warranty. I feel that extended warranties are not worth it. JMHO

Northern California

2004 CF25RS

2004 F250 SD PSD

https://i632.photobucket.com/albums/u.../Truck5th2.jpg

Korbe & Diana is offline   Reply With Quote