Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-25-2020, 02:28 PM   #21
Seasonal Camper

Very nice!! Great idea's!! Looks like it was a lot of work. Makes a guy feel good when a plan comes together. To bad the assembly workers don't seem to have much pride in their work.
Old 11-25-2020, 02:57 PM   #22
Site Team

That was quite an undertaking, but from the looks of it and your write up, I would think you will be able to notice a difference.
Good job!
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2020, 06:25 PM   #23
Seasonal Camper

Now THAT is an extreme weather package! Not at all like the 'Barely Minimal Weather Package' from the factory.. they spent more effort putting the label on than the actual insulation.
However, I do think the coroplast and bubble wrap help a lot more than just a open frame. I sealed the coroplast where there were any openings with aluminum sheet material and gorilla tape. Mostly, to slow down the mice, but it has helped with heat.
Nice job, that was a lot of laying on your back. I can appreciate it, as I added 9 angle stock supports, and that was a long day on my back.
Wingerdinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2020, 06:41 AM   #24
Weekend Camper

update on performance after modifications

So it was a lot more than just a day on my back. I think more like 3-4 days. Fortunately I used my nice creeper from my auto shop. I was buzzing around rolling and using the undercarriage as hand holds to maneuver. It made moving around so much easier- almost fun except for reaching up and straining my neck and upper back. But it is all worth it. Yesterday it got close to 70 and I checked inside camper this morning. It was 39 F outside and 44 inside. The heat was not on last night and I can still see daylight around the slider seals which are still to be fixed. It just seems more quiet and warmer inside. I don't think that is just my imagination. If it were, I would be hearing things that go bump and seeing things flit at the edges of my vision.
So overall the time spent was worth it. Eventually I will look more into the ceiling and see if it is possible to add some there since that will be most effective at stopping heat escape. I replaced the wimpy bathroom fan with one that can go 3 speeds forward and 2 reverse (I forget the brand). When I had the trim pulled I remember seeing open space. And of course running down the middle was a single roll in fiberglass insulation- of course all open around it. I think I might be able to blow insulation in the open areas. I have access via trim panels at about equal spacing along roof with vents, skylites, and AC unit. Then working on a design to put another layer over the windows. I can make in inner storm to fit over the single pane windows if we are out in the colder weather. It may not be worth the effort but we will see. It is worth exploring. I suspect the frames are aluminum and not magnetic. I am a woodworker so making frames with magnets in the frame would have worked nicely. Hmmmm .... we shall see. One thing at a time. But successful true Extreme Weather modifications. I may try to add booster fans in the floor heat registers to pull the heat for better distribution. I can still easily get under the floor and have some 12 VDC computer fans left over from 41+ years in IT. It might not be worth that amount of work. It is easy to get carried away.
Danimal713 is offline   Reply With Quote