Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-12-2016, 07:04 PM   #1
Family Vacation Member

Fall/Cold weather traveling question

DW and I are planning a trip in the last week of Oct. when traveling in colder weather do we need to winterize before traveling. This will be our first fall trip in this RV. Obviously no one knows what the weather will be at that time. Shouldn't be frigid but how much can the system handle going down the road?

No trees were killed in the sending of this message. However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced
Pro BSer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 10:47 PM   #2
Full Time Camper

Well I personally wouldn't worry unless you are traveling in below freezing temperatures. Then I would winterize the unit. Better safe then sorry.

*I have tried to live my life so that my family would love me and my friends would respect me. The others can do whatever the Hell they please!” —John Wayne
Papa-T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 08:17 AM   #3
Full Time Camper

it's a matter of how long and how cold....
it has to be below freezing for many hours before you have to worry...
when we towed a 5'er we typically blew out the lines and left the heater @ the lowest temp setting just to fight off the cold...

Winter camping is FUN !
Old 10-13-2016, 09:03 AM   #4
Gone Traveling

If we have to wear long pants & anything heavier than a windbreaker we're not far enough south yet, 102 yesterday between Phoenix & Tucson, not winterizing here!
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 03:38 PM   #5
Family Vacation Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnboytoo View Post
it's a matter of how long and how cold....
it has to be below freezing for many hours before you have to worry...
when we towed a 5'er we typically blew out the lines and left the heater @ the lowest temp setting just to fight off the cold...

Winter camping is FUN !

Did I get that right? Leave the heater on going down the road?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No trees were killed in the sending of this message. However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced
Old 10-13-2016, 03:51 PM   #6
Gone Traveling

I do that also, the furnace is ducted to the basement & underbelly, works great if you remember to fill the propane bottles.
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 04:45 PM   #7
Seasonal Camper

"How cold and how long" is your answer.

We camp in the desert during the winter months and it's not uncommon to get temps in the 20s overnight. We keep the trailer warm enough for humans (set the thermostat to 55 at bedtime) and we've never had anything but the dog's water bowl freeze.
dedmiston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 05:08 PM   #8
Full Time Camper

I've done my share of cold weather camping in a 5er. With the heat on and as long as the underbelly is enclosed your ok. Except the hose to the campground water faucet. Of course I always turn off the water and drain the hose at night unless you have a heated hose. Like I said if traveling I would winterize or at least blow the lines out. But like was stated it would have to be really cold for an extended period of time.

*I have tried to live my life so that my family would love me and my friends would respect me. The others can do whatever the Hell they please!” —John Wayne
Papa-T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2016, 06:21 AM   #9
Family Vacation Member

Thanks for all the info. I learn something new all the time here. I did not know you could leave the heater on at all while traveling.

Old 10-14-2016, 08:48 AM   #10
Full Time Camper

Some of the communist states in the northeast say no propane on for certain areas, but others allow you to use your stuff as it's designed
Old 10-14-2016, 09:06 AM   #11
Full Time Camper

I traveled back to KS last year in November. Days were 40's to 50's, nights got down into the 20's. During travel overnight stops, I didn't hook up city water, I used water from the fresh tank. I also opened up the access panel to the water pump, which allowed heat from the cabin to not only heat the pump area, but also some could flow below, to the underbelly, because of some large pipe openings. I also made sure there was no water in the outside shower hose. The valves to it actually extend inside to the under-sink cabinet in the bathroom, which I also left open. No problems! I had to hit the roads fast when an ice storm came in from the West. I headed straight south to Texas!
Dalzell SC
MartyinSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2016, 09:15 PM   #12
Weekend Camper

We own a 2017 ST320BH and are planning a trip to Flagstaff, AZ and Gallup, NM next weekend. The forecasted highs are in the low 30s with the overnight lows in the teens. This was a helpful post to read.

Just so I understand (we're still pretty new), you are talking about leaving the furnace on while driving, not the water heater, right?

Any other cold weather considerations we should think about?

Thanks!
Spasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2016, 08:18 AM   #13
Full Time Camper

I've never left the water heater on, but suppose you could if it has auto ignition, but if you leave the furnace set to about 45, that should do it for the drive...