Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-05-2012, 10:28 PM   #1
Seasonal Camper

My Fantastic Fan is dead. I'm not sure what is wrong. I had used it a few days ago and last night while loading the camper I went to turn it on and... nothing. I checked the fuse and even swapped it for a new one even though it looked fine but that is not the problem. I checked the switch that shuts it off when you close the "hatch" and that seems to be functioning fine. When I turn the temperature knob I can hear the "click" when I reach thepoint that would cause the fan to come on (or off). The blades spin freely when I move them. There are no blown fuses at the breaker/fuse box. All the lights work in the camper so there should be power to the fan.The only thing I did differently was to turn the fan on then open the hatch. I have always opened the hatch first, then turned it on. I don;t really think this played into the problem however. I have not put a meter on it because I am not really sure where to check and we are leaving in a few hours for some extended camping. I thought I would post this them check it when we get somewhere with wifi. We are going to be staying in some Forest Service CGs so I definitely want the 12v ventilation that the Fantastic Fan provides. The model I have does not have the rain sensor. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Lonnie

04 2500 Hemi Ram Quad Cab
Chuck N. Wined is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 11:34 PM   #2
Site Team

Does the cover open? If not maybe it's stuck shut and you will have manually open it so the fan can start. I have experienced this situation in the past.

Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 11:37 PM   #3
Full Time Camper

I had the same type of problem with mine. Both fixes are done from the top of the camper. Clean the rain sensor and in the corner is a plunger switch that may be stuck in the closed (pushed down) position. I put a little oil and work the switch up and down until it is free. This worked for me hope it helps.

Old 06-06-2012, 10:45 PM   #4
Family Vacation Member

The plunger is the actual switch to provide power to the unit so it not only needs to operate but also make contact. It may need a little cleaning if any corrosion or dirt is there on the contacts. You can jumper it to check that if you have no tester. The rain sensor only closes the cover and has no effect on the fan motor except thru the plunger switch. Clean the sensor with denatured alcohol if needed. If you have a wall themostat or one on the unit, be sure power is going thru it.

I keep my cover gasket treated with silicone to help prevent it sticking closed.
carl is offline   Reply With Quote