Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
 


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 06-16-2009, 12:12 PM   #1
Weekend Camper
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 85
I hope someone can help with this issue,the fireplace smells and the other day it turned the fireplce off automaticly and did not go on again.so we worked with it and found out the plugin under the drawer is not working, so we went to the dealer and he has looked all over and can't find anything wrong, the wires are all ok in that plug, so he tells me he will have to take time looking for it and at 108.00 per hour it could cost a lot of money.All the plugins on the trailer is working fine and no circuit breaker showing as off, I turned them all off and then on again and all looks fine. Does anyone have a idea where this smell of burning wires would be coming from. And would this sort of thing be under warranty and of crossroad or dimplex. Hope someone can help thanks a lot

Norval
cgaucho1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 02:50 PM   #2
Full Time Camper
 
Stan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: 1
Posts: 2,036
You said the electrical outlet was not working but then the dealer could not find anything wrong. Was the outlet working again when he checked it? You might have a shorting/overheating wire somewhere in a wall that is not tripping the breaker. Do you smell the odor without the fireplace on (could it be the fireplace itself)? I'd be carefull leaving the RV plugged into power without someone directly watching over it until you find the problem. I would think this would be covered by warrantee if you can get it to "smell" while at the dealer.
Stan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 03:06 PM   #3
Family Vacation Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location:
Posts: 245
I would check both ends of the cord that the heater is pluged in with for tight connections.I think I would replace the outlet also.Can you smell the odor at the fireplace or the outlet?If its something burnt,the odor should hang around a while.I'm no expert,but if it smelled hot at one time,there has to be a reason.just my 2 cents,good luck.
__________________
2005 F-250

2009 Cruiser 29RK
FB1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 03:52 PM   #4
Weekend Camper
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 85
The outlet was not working as when I took the black box out which is the remote control. I then plugged a small light into the socket and it did not work, then I plugged the black box into a bar and turned the fire on with the remote conrol and it all worked. The fire was on for a while before I could smell it and then it turned off by itself like a safety switch had clicked in. The smell lingers for a long time and very strong had to open the door and windows. The dealer said he could not find anything wrong with that socket so I suppose that meant it was working, and that is whyhe is going to go looking somewhere else. The smell is in the area of the fireplace, I could smell it in the bedroom I did not think to smell the outlet. I would think the outlet cover would have been disscolored a bit, there is no browning there at all. And I checked right away and there was no beaker off, There is no smell when the fireplace is off, and it is on for quite a while before it starts smelling.. Thanks for your input
cgaucho1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 02:36 AM   #5
Full Time Camper
 
Stan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: 1
Posts: 2,036
It sounds like an over-temp switch in the fireplace tripped which is why it initially turned off. Some types reset themselves when cooled. If you have a wire resting on or close to the heater in the fireplace, that would give you the burning smell. What's confusing is why the electrical outlet went off and then back on.



Is this the first time you used the fireplace? When heaters are first used, they can give off a burning smell with some light smoke as the oils during manufacture are burned off.
Stan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 07:21 AM   #6
Weekend Camper
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 85
Went to the dealer today and the socket is not working, but nothing is burnt there all looks wel the fireplace itself is looking good too inside. I seems to the tech that the socket is all by itself, not connected to anything else, something like a open grounded wire, he said that is not good ( can't remember exactly what he said) but he said personally he would not stop looking, he would not trust it either. And they feel if it is a wire in the wall of the coach it may be covered under warranty, so he is going to ask. No it has been used lots of times and only 2 times it has started to smell. Call Dimplex and that unit has been discontinued
cgaucho1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 04:19 AM   #7
Weekend Camper
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 38
My bet is that the RF modulator that the fireplace plugs into is the root of the problem. This modulator is an open circuit board with a recep that plugs into the GFCI at the entertainment center. We've replaced 2 this year.

Brad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 06:12 AM   #8
Weekend Camper
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 85
Thank you Brad for that input, I will pass it along to the tech and see if that helps.
cgaucho1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2009, 02:13 PM   #9
Weekend Camper
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 85
Just found out today the problem was a juction box behind the fireplace, all the inside was burnt, thanks for all the input

Norval
cgaucho1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2009, 03:17 PM   #10
Full Time Camper
 
Stan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: 1
Posts: 2,036
Glad you found the problem. That had to really worry you.
Stan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2009, 06:54 PM   #11
Weekend Camper
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 85
Yes it did worry us a lot especially at night. Now wejust haveto wait and see who will cover it under the warranty, not sure if it is a Dimplex or crossroads as it may not have been wired correctly. But glad anyhow to have it fixed
cgaucho1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3
Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Crossroads RV or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:02 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2024, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
×