Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-26-2009, 06:08 AM   #1
Weekend Camper

Just got back from a fun weekend near the beach. A National Park with no water hook ups. This is the first time we had not had direct water hook up. Got out the manual, seemed straight forward to fill the Fresh Water Tank( 2008 30SK). Filled the tank, and had plenty of pressure in the sinks, until we used the shower Sat morning. We did not open the shower when we filled the fresh water tank on Friday evening. So we opened all the faucets and the shower, and refilled the fresh water tank. Same thing. Good pressure until we used the shower Sat night. The pump would continue to run. Gurgling sounds in the hot water heater. Even had hot water coming out of the cold water faucet. All faucets had very little water and alot of air. After letting the pump run for about 20 min (several times)with all the faucets closed, I finally shut off the pump.

Any suggestions for this? Did I miss a step in the filling of the fresh water tank? Are there valves to open/close when switching from city water to the freshwater tank?

2008 CF30SK

2005 Dodge Ram 2500

5.9 Cummins.

2010 Candy red Mustang convert

https://i886.photobucket.com/albums/a...IMG_0969-1.jpg
NCFUN2GO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 09:36 AM   #2
Full Time Camper

No valves but I think your checkvalve is stuck. or check your valve for winterizing your camper, should be next to your pump. This valve could be open and sucking air.
cwit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 09:55 AM   #3
Full Time Camper

I would agree with cwit, it sounds like your winterizing valve is turned the wrong way. We had the same issue with our trailer when we got it and the blue valve was on the winterize setting. Once I turned that it has worked fine.
Hunter11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 09:52 PM   #4
Weekend Camper

Thanx to those who replied. I will check it out this afternoon when I get off work. Bob

2008 CF30SK

2005 Dodge Ram 2500

5.9 Cummins.

Old 07-27-2009, 11:21 AM   #5
Weekend Camper

I filled the tank, opened the faucets, turned on the pump, and then turned the valve at the pump as suggested by cwit and Hunter11, and let it run for a minute or two, and the air was pushing out of every faucet. ( Obviously, the tube was now sucking air), so I retuned to the original setting. The pump never seemed to recover, so I shut it off, and topped off the fresh water tank again. Went through the start up proceedures, and things are working as they should. I guess there is a gremlin in there somewhere?

Some questions about the fresh water tank:

1. Does the tank have to be 100 percent filled to start the proceedure?

2. The pump is quiet sometime, and at other times sounds like it is vibrating alot- is this normal?

3. If air gets into the line, should the pump be able to overcome that, or is there a way to bleed air from the system.

Any advice is welcome, however small.

2008 CF30SK

2005 Dodge Ram 2500

5.9 Cummins.

Old 07-27-2009, 11:43 AM   #6
Full Time Camper

Gremlins can be fun, glad you got it going.
cwit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 01:47 PM   #7
Full Time Camper

The vibration is normal when the pump is running. Some people mount a piece of rubber under it to quiet it down a bit.

I had the same problem with hot water coming out the cold side, I have no idea why but I think it had to with air pressure in the hot water tank. Once all the air was out the system flowed normal. When use our water holding tank I fill the tank then go inside and flush the air from the system and then top off. I'm assuming your hot water tank is 10 gals and that a lot of space to fill with water.Sometime I'll lift the pressure valve on the on the HW tank just to aid the filling , when the pump is running

Happy Camping

_popupControl();Edited by: salda01

'07 F250 Diesel Crew Cab 4x4

'08 CF30QB

Reese Signature Slider 18k Hitch
salda01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 11:44 PM   #8
Seasonal Camper

When you fill your water tank, try hooking the hoseup to thecity water connection first and running water thru all the lines until the air is gone. This not only gets rid of the air with city water pressure but also fills the hot water heater. Otherwise you are filling the water heater using your pump. This is not a big deal but it takes away from your water supply (10gal.) and could take close to 5 minutes at 2.5 gallons per minute. Also if my camper has been setting outside during the week, the summer time sun can heat the water in the water lines to the point it almost feels like it's coming from the water heater. Just a thought.
https://i95.photobucket.com/albums/l1...04/TheRig3.jpg
scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 11:54 PM   #9
Full Time Camper

It sounds like the valve was not completely closed the first time allowing the pump to suck air. The pump will pump air over water everytime. Air in the lines will be forced out by the pump but it does take time.

Chrisnan23 is offline   Reply With Quote