Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-24-2012, 05:44 AM   #1
Full Time Camper

Today when I went out I found that I had a flat tire, found the TPS sensor on that tire missing. Went to take it off, Got out my new never out of the box bottle jack. (I purchased this 7 years ago for the Zinger)
It did not work the seals rotted out. Pulled the little floor jack out and tried to jack up the trailer with that struggle for fourty five minutes used lots of interesting words. I was getting ready to hook up the truck wand tear everything down and use the trqailer aidwhen a fellow camper said why do you not use the bottle jack out of your truck, that is what I do. Worked like a charm. New valve stem in place back on the unit. Before some one ask yes the stems were metal, and no I did not run into any thing
Traveling with Rainbow the wonder dog and now with Sunshine the rescue Schnauzer.
fhenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 06:20 AM   #2
Site Team

That isn't by any chance the wheel that Hoover marks all the time is it?????????

Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 07:10 AM   #3
Full Time Camper

No Lloyd Hoover is well Trained he does op tires only, but a good thought
Traveling with Rainbow the wonder dog and now with Sunshine the rescue Schnauzer.
Old 11-24-2012, 10:41 PM   #4
Site Team

Frank, I have been thinking--------if you have one valve stem that dry rotted, how are the other ones, and, what kind of shape are your tires in???????

Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 11:16 PM   #5
Full Time Camper

Metal Valve stem Lloyd. I had those inatalled when I did the tires and put on the TPS. The strange thing it is the wheel I had the blow out on two years ago with the new tires
Old 11-25-2012, 12:18 AM   #6
Seasonal Camper

Hydraulic bottle jacks are generally a PIA due to most of them are manufactured "over seas" these days. I have one from the early 70's that still works fine however I also have a newer, larger one bought about 5 years ago that is like yours, worthless.

I have found that most things from Asia that have rubber components won't last too long. Although most of the raw rubber in the world comes from SE Asia, they don't seem to have figured out what additives they need to add to make it last more than a few months.

I have used the mechanical bottle jack from the truck for years for emergency trailer work until I purchased one of the aluminum trailer aid products.

Any chance someone nabbed your TPS sensor?

Viet Nam Vet 70-71 Da Nang

Real airplanes have two wings and big, round, engines
BipeFlier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 04:58 AM   #7
Full Time Camper

I think what may have happened, is that I still check all of the tires before we leave. I may have not tightened the lock screw in place. The vibration may have let it screw loose. The lovely Janet and I did not notice unplugged the monitor and charged her phone on that out let

Old 12-04-2012, 01:27 PM   #8
Weekend Camper

Just a FYI I have AAA plus RV and I work on all my own trucks, but on the road or a campground (away from home) I have them change it!