Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-20-2009, 05:01 AM   #1
Seasonal Camper

I was camping last weekend, was coming home and I heard a nose from the engine, sounded like a pop off valve opening, the truck was running about 2300 rpm's and I noticed it was kida sluggish, if I kept my foot out of it it did ok, if you gave it fuel that's when it was noticeable, no engine lights ever came on, it shifted fine so I thought it was my imagination, after I took the 5th whell off the truck drove perfect, not a single problem, I decided to have the dealer look at the truck, the oil cooler is bad, oil temp 34 degrees to hot, the turbo has bad valves nd a few other things, the truck has 53K miles, and is 2weeks out of the 5yr warranty, the truck is garaged all the time, never sits outside and has never had as much as a bag of dirt in the bed, I keep this truck in really pristine shape, it's going to run me 2300.00 for the repairs, it's at the dealership right now, oil cooler is backordered, so if any of you guys are close on you warranty better to have it checked and be ahead of the curve....so far Ford has not stepped up to the plate I am sure I am going to have to eat the repair. ...and no I am not going to buy a GM or a Dodge.........

2004 Ford F-350 CC dually 4X4
mbinohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2009, 05:43 AM   #2
Seasonal Camper

I would push this a little, Go up the chain if you have to. I have seem repairs done out of warranty.

I had mine in the shop last month, It was making a knocking noise under light throttle like it was a dry fire. It quit doing it but I took it in any way. They could find nothing wrong.

If the dealer will not cover this I would take it somewhere else as it would probably be much cheaper. An aftermarket cooler would probably be better any way.

GM, Ford , Dodge, They all have issues from time to time.
gtoguy1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2009, 07:25 AM   #3
Seasonal Camper

The 5 year warranty is up on my Powerstroke in a month and a half. I have planned to take it in because it is"acting sluggish" to have one last warranty look at it even though it has been running good of late. I have had 3 major repairs done under warranty including the turbo replaced two years ago.A friend of mine who has an '04 6.0 has been out of warrantee for 6 monthsand hasn't had any issues for the last 3 years. So I am hoping what could go wrong has already happened on mine. Edited by: shoetravel

2005 CF29RE 04 Ford F250 crew 6.0 P/stroke FX-4.

(pic coming soon!)
shoetravel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2009, 09:34 AM   #4
Full Time Camper

I have an 06 and two months ago before going out on a trip the check engine light came on. I took it to the dealer and to find out power stroke engine components are covered for 100K but you have to pay 100 bucks. It turned out to be the trubo and replaced it for free under warranty. I will keep an eye on the oil temps a little closer.
thanks for the heads up

Old 06-20-2009, 10:12 AM   #5
Family Vacation Member

I had 2004 Ford F-350 6.0l also which had two turbo replacements in 63,000 miles. Also fought and small oil leak forever and finally they pulled the engine to repair. After second turbo went out in New Brunswick while on a trip, I said that was enough. All work was under warranty but it was not convenient to be in shop so much. Problems started at 12,500 miles. I now have 2008 with 6.4l and 12,500 miles so am crossing my fingers on this one. Mileage is less than the 6.0l but like the truck better.
carl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2009, 10:29 AM   #6
Seasonal Camper

on the 100,000 mile warranty is good for only 5yrs..........I was over by 3800 miles and a few weeks, the legacy costs on this motor has been a headache for Ford and they are really starting to clamp down on the after warranty expense, I had to submit all my service records and they are considering my claim, I was told not to expect anything, this is also the 2nd turbo I have had to replace.....so if you guys are even close to the end of your warranty have ti checked, mine ran great with no camper on the back, the problem was only noticeable under load in tow/haul mode and on an incline, it also did not make the check engine lite come on.....just to forworn you guys, it's an expensive repair

Old 06-20-2009, 02:24 PM   #7
Full Time Camper

I was thinking of getting some extra guages and was considering a EGT and turbo boost pressure. Do they make an oil temp guage? Sounds like that might be worth it. What guages would you diesel experts get? I already have the factory trans temp guage.
Stan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2009, 10:44 PM   #8
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stan
I was thinking of getting some extra guages and was considering a EGT and turbo boost pressure. Do they make an oil temp guage? Sounds like that might be worth it. What guages would you diesel experts get? I already have the factory trans temp guage.

I have a set to gauges for the boost and EGT, but if I had my way, I'd like to see more instrumentation and better instrumentation. The EGT guage is especially handy when towing a trailer. On a hard pull, it takes longer than 5 minutes to cool things down. I've let the engine idle longer to cool things down to 350 - 400 degs.
2006 Cruiser CF30SK
Hamops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 11:54 PM   #9
Family Vacation Member

I had what may be the same problem the oil cooler was clogged causing the egr cooler. I also had the turbine sticking on acceleration. I was 3 months out of warranty, however I reported a noise that could not be identified while it was under warranty. I personally know of one other person that has had the problem, when you search the web you find this is more common than you would think. I decided to fight it and called Ford this morning. I too do not drive my truck much, I have 63K on mine now. I had 59K when it was repaired. Edited by: dja29RK

2004 Ford F350 Diesel

https://i627.photobucket.com/albums/t...30slbucket.jpg
dja29RK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 04:43 AM   #10
Seasonal Camper

I have been on the phone all morning with Ford, they offered me 500.00, I was told that after the warranty expires the dealer writes the estimate to repair and it goes to Ford, they have 4 days to decide your fate, I was basically told to take it or leave it, there thought is that if you didn"t buy the extended warranty then you assume the liability, I declined the warranty when I bough the truck and if you didn'y buy it you signed off that you refused...the dealer has been really good, but he also said he does the paperwork on line and submits it,he gets a return mail to tell them what Ford will do, there is no human person to talk to, I have goven the dealer the go ahead and repair my truck, and I am going to try writing a few letters after I get the truck back, I have already talked to an attorney and I was told that they only need to live up to there written warranty, your either in or out there is no legal recourse you can take....if you guys are having any problem at all you best see the dealer while still under warranty, and as far as " I had it checked before the warranty expired" and now I have a problem, won't work, when you sign at the dealer when picking up your truck you sign off that you are repaired, I will kepp you all posted as to what happens, I think I am basically stuck...........

Old 06-22-2009, 05:05 AM   #11
Family Vacation Member

I was told to talk to the dealer, they said they could do nothing. The service manager said the best approach is to put it in writing. Don't know if you ever looked at http://www.thedieselstop.com/forums/...earchid=904019as you can see it happens a lot. I am starting my documentation.

2004 Ford F350 Diesel

Old 06-22-2009, 05:22 AM   #12
Seasonal Camper

I have all the service records from the day I bought the truck, they have covered there ass really good, likw I said I have talked with 2 attorneys and there is nothing you can legally do, they don't deny that there is a problem, they simply said you were offered an extended warranty and declined to buy it so you assume the liability...if your still under warranty you would be wise to get it into them, I am getting my 2nd turbo put on, this one lasted 20k miles.....

Old 06-22-2009, 05:24 AM   #13
Seasonal Camper

I would assume with a better business climate and they were selling some cars and had some money thet would be inclined to do more...I know there has been alot of friction between Ford and Navistar......

Old 06-23-2009, 12:38 PM   #14
Full Time Camper

I just got back from a trip to the Smokey's the other dayand my truck isnow at the dealer getting the following: New Head Bolts, New Head Gasket, New EGR cooler and a Turbo rebuild.The oil cooler may also be replaced.I have 63k and this will be 2nd EGR cooler in 30,000 miles. The last one failed last year in South Dakota and I just replaced the cooling fan 6,000 miles ago. Everything has been under warranty, but still none the less it's getting expensive paying the deductable for reoccuring problems. I limped it down to Tenn and limped it back to Wi. The dealer in Newport Tn. was great and thinks all the problems are because of the turbo pumping out > 27 psi. Factory spec is 21 psi. The overpressure caused heat generation and to much pressure. I'm just glad we made it back and weren't stuck on the roadside.

Fyi, Ford does offer a extended warranty you can purchase later for about $2100 that will cover the major engine components for 7 years / 200k. I forgot the name of the plan, but I do have the details in my truck, which again is at the dealer. I'll post the details once I get it back.

_popupControl();

'07 F250 Diesel Crew Cab 4x4

'08 CF30QB

Reese Signature Slider 18k Hitch
salda01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 02:02 PM   #15
Full Time Camper

Yep, been down that road. The extended warrantys can be viewed at
http://www.fordwarrantys.com/dieselEnginePlans.cfm
I had purchased one for my 04, and glad I did. Last camping trip of the year, 2-days left on the original 5-year warranty, my truck went in for puking and after an egr cooler and new head gaskets. After all said and done, they applied any deductible to my extended warranty and I was good to go. These 6.0's are known for the head gaskets towing heavier loads. Some dealerships will even install ARP head-studs if the owner provides. I am not sure I buy the 21-psi boost bit, but the head-gasket issue starts when the EGR cooler clogs, which in then builds pressures inside, and from there it pukes out the cap, and blows by the gaskets.
For me, I was able to trade up to an 09 for not much more than I was currently paying. So far the 09 has been doing great...except for the mileage, but I knew that when I purchased. We have a big 1500 mile trip to Minnesota in another week and we will really put the 09 to the test.

2015 Rushmore Springfield
Disc Brake upgrade, Goodyear G614 tire upgrade
RV FLEX-ARMOR roof, Mor-Ryde IS suspension

2017 F350 Dually 4x4 6.7 Bronze Fire
gossamar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 09:57 PM   #16
Family Vacation Member

Does anyone have any idea why the cooler clogs? I have not been given an answer of any sort when I asked how to avoid this in the future.

2004 Ford F350 Diesel

Old 06-24-2009, 01:19 AM   #17
Full Time Camper

I would love to trade up.. But the mileage on the new trucks is sad. I'm able to get between 17 mpg- 21mpg on the highway. I'm hearing on the '09 is about 5-7 mpg. less. Being this truck is my daily driver the impact is huge.

The Diesel Engine Care package covers 13 major components and is available for any truck that is still under the 5/100,000 coverage, the Diesel Engine Care Plus package covers 21 components and must be purchased before the 3/36,000 base warranty expires.

'08 CF30QB

Old 06-24-2009, 02:20 AM   #18
Seasonal Camper

mine is still at the dealers, I was told this morning it's all done, they want to test drive the truck before I get it, so I am going to pick it up in the morning, My truck is used strictly for towing, otherwisw it just sits in the garage, never even had a bag of mulch in the bed, I was told that there is nothing we can do to prevent the problem from coming back, the dealer basically said this will get you thru till the next time, Ford knows of all the problems, and so dos the rest of the world, I may buy the extended warranty I wm going to check into it when I get to the dealer tomorrow, I am not a fan of extended warranties but with this crap motor it might be a good investment

Old 06-24-2009, 03:03 AM   #19
Seasonal Camper

Boy, I'm not going to say any thing, Carma is a bad thing. Wish you guys all the luck as there is nothing worse than having yet another thing to worry about. Do you guys let your truck idle for a while stopping ? If towing I will let my truck run for up to 10 minutes so that it has a chance to cool off.
gtoguy1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2009, 12:40 AM   #20
Full Time Camper

From all the reading I have been doing and all the talking the Ford Head bolts are crap and Ford knows it. According to my dealer Fordwill only authorize thereplacement of the bolts withthe Ford bolts and not a quality boltfromsomeone like ARP. I really don't get Ford thinking.

GTOguy, My truckusuallycools off(I hope) from the time I check in to the time I unhook. It's on the long tripwhen we stop to eat that I don't let it cool.

_popupControl();

'08 CF30QB