Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-06-2011, 04:15 AM   #21
Full Time Camper

This is at the start of my 400 foot driveway. This is why I drive a 4 wheel drive truck!

Breckenridge, CO
'08 Crossroads Sunset Trail ST30BH Traded
'21 Grand Design Reflection 31MB 5er
'22 Cougar 29RLI 5er
'23 RAM 2500 4X4 CTD
coastn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 05:57 AM   #22
Weekend Camper

4X4 I was going to get a 2X4 and the wife would not let me and on many acations we needed it to back the rv up a hill even on wet grass. also it makes it nice when you want low gearing you have 4X4 low.
diesel dave 99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 08:23 AM   #23
Weekend Camper

I've always had GM 4wd vehicles to tow my travel trailer, and have parked in some pretty muddy/wet campsites with no problems. Moved up to a 5th wheel, and got such a good deal on2wd diesel, I bought it. The first campsite I backed into was a dry, grassy site, but with a very slight incline, and I couldn't get the 5th wheel allthe way back to where I wanted it because of traction. Needless to say, I wish I had 4wd. Now I just make sure the sites I park in are gravel or paved.

2008 GMC 2500HD Duramax

2009 Cruiser 30SK Patriot

jererp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 10:28 AM   #24
Full Time Camper

Just a tip most of all the new sure grip Posi traction ect rear gears are activated buy the anti- lock breaking system. when you rear tire start to spin just pus down on the parking break pedal a notch this 90 percent of the time will enable bot rear wheel to pull together

Traveling with Rainbow the wonder dog and now with Sunshine the rescue Schnauzer.
fhenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 01:40 AM   #25
Weekend Camper

I would say go with 4x4. Duallies are a different breed.

With no weight on the back, they are USELESS in snow. I have great tires (http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....ngler+DuraTrac) and we get less snow than you would and I generally try to drive in 2 wheel drive but I tell ya, when you hit a couple of inches of snow, that back end does nothing but spin.

The folks who have been telling you to go with 4x2 are single rear wheel owners or live in places where snow is rare.

Fiddich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 03:49 AM   #26
Weekend Camper

I just ordered a 2011 F250 4x2 to replace my 06 4x4 which i didn't use in 4 wheel more than a dozen times. Although it is nice to have, but not good on gas. I think we canget along without it unless we get campsites that are wet or grass. It really is your choice, also a heavy 5th I believe is more stable dual-wheels. when carrying extra weight.