Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-22-2009, 06:44 AM   #1
Weekend Camper

Well, we made our maiden voyage with our Cruiser.Only one problem we had was we ran out of fresh water @1/3 not sure if it is the pickup or the sending unit in the tank thats causing the problem.Anyone else run into this?

2008 Cruiser 29CK

2008 Dodge Mega Cab 2500HD 6.7L and the Boss, Bailey the Yellow Laprador Retiever
Ronkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 06:59 AM   #2
Site Team

We have experienced the same thing. I was told --- fault in the sensor. I don't think so. I always have water left that will drain out the tank drain. I caught it in a bucket the last time and it was over 15 gal. That is one of the things that will be looked at when I take it in Wed. I am a little suspect just where that pickup line is coming out of the tank.
Will let you know what I find out when I get back.

Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009, 01:52 AM   #3
Full Time Camper

I wish I had Smokemans (Greg's) website address since he had a great fix or mod he made to his camper. The basic is the lights are not that close and where the pump takes the water from (outlet pipe) is on the side of the tank not at the bottom like the drain. So he was able to bend a copper pipe so it sat near the bottom of the tank. A very nice job and he had alot of detail on his page. It was on the old forum pages. Maybe Hunter (Keith) can point you in the right location to the site as he is still in contact with Greg.

Sorry I am hooking most of the time I hardly fill the Fresh water tank.

george

Old 05-24-2009, 02:08 AM   #4
Full Time Camper

Go to Crossroads Cruiser and mod number #041. This brings back old memories as I remember Greg and I coming up with these mods and I had about 80% of them done on our old Cruiser before we sold it. Greg is still out there just has some other interest right now.

http://www.gregpaine.com/
Hunter11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 08:37 AM   #5
Site Team

Ronkat:
I just got back from having work done on the 5er. We had the water tank right out on the floor. The fitting for the drain, the fitting for the pick up line going to the pump, and the sensor for the 1/3 reading on the monitor panel---------all of them are in line with one another. So you can see why we are running out of water when it says we still have 1/3.
If you want to fix it, the link Hunter posted will do it. I now have that installed in my water tank.
Hope this helps.

Old 05-28-2009, 12:31 AM   #6
Weekend Camper

Thanks Hunter for the link, Greg has a lot of great ideas and mods.And thanks Old Farmer for letting me know how you made out, this forum sure make life alittle easier with all the info. and help you can find.Ron.

2008 Cruiser 29CK

2008 Dodge Mega Cab 2500HD 6.7L and the Boss, Bailey the Yellow Laprador Retiever
Ronkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 02:44 PM   #7
Seasonal Camper

I am doing Greg's mod #041 real soon. We were dry camped this weekend and ran out of water the last morning. At least what the water pump could draw. I put a bucket under the water tank drain and ended up getting at least 5 more gallons out of it. Used that to wash the last of the dishes, wash up after changing the tire,etc.

2005 CF29RE 04 Ford F250 crew 6.0 P/stroke FX-4.

(pic coming soon!)
shoetravel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 10:19 PM   #8
Weekend Camper

Help? Where is mod 041??? I don't see any ##. I can't find in under cruiser section in product lines.
ST29RL

https://i575.photobucket.com/albums/s...unsettrail.jpg
icefalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 10:34 PM   #9
Weekend Camper

Ok, I found it at greg's site. thanks.

Not sure I can use in on my trailer since I can't access the water tank.
ST29RL

https://i575.photobucket.com/albums/s...unsettrail.jpg
icefalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 12:04 AM   #10
Site Team

You have to drop the membrane in the back portion to get at the tank. Then you should be able to reach it. We had my tank out on the floor so it was easier. I did take one pic when I get a chance I will post it.

Old 05-29-2009, 01:29 AM   #11
Site Team

Tank is sitting on the floor on end. You can see the fitting for the pump pick up, then the drain, screw is next for 1/3 level on water monitor.
All are in line with one another. Doesn't make sense. Copper line and fitting is what we placed in the p.u. hole.
I wish I would have had more time and knew what to do to glue a chunk of same plastic type material on the bottom then drilled and tapped it for a new drain.
There was a lot water in the tank when we let it down.It never gets out. That's a very bad design. Can you imagine what kind of stuff can grow in there over time.

Was in a hurry this morning. Here is a bigger pic.
Edited by: Old Farmer
Old 06-10-2009, 08:48 AM   #12
Weekend Camper

Did you have this work done at the factory? I talked to the factory today (Randy) and he said they have been using these tanks for seven years andsaid theynever had heard of such a problem with the water tanks. We are planning a month long camping trip and will be dry camping, we are very concerned about drinking bad water. This is very poor design. Their only solution was to buy bottled water.
mosledder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 08:59 AM   #13
Full Time Camper

Larry Day (Dayle1) came up with this mod. It allows you to access all the fresh water in your tank as opposed to 1/4 to 1/3 still in it that the pump cannot pickup. The factory should have someone that reads some of the post in the mod section to see what owners come up with that improves the trailer. I would suspect CR buys the tanks with the fittings pre-installed so it would just be a matter of working with the tank manufacture to move the water pickup.
Hunter11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 10:36 AM   #14
Full Time Camper

Actually the factory installs the fittings. They spin drill them on.

Chrisnan23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 12:18 PM   #15
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisnan23
Actually the factory installs the fittings. They spin drill them on.
I think Chris is right that they spin drill them in. When I was down at the dealer that's what their service tech told me. He has been with them for 28 yrs. Pretty good man.
Like Keith said----- It would be nice if somebody from CR would read some of this stuff and do some MODS at the factory. There is no excuse for that drain not being on the bottom of the tank!!!!!