Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-29-2016, 06:34 PM   #1
Weekend Camper

Fresh Water Tank

I am winterizing our 2016 CAF27RL and need some help with making sure the fresh water tank is completely drained.

I removed the black cap from the tank drain and drained. I also ran the pump until no water was being discharged. Gauge light showed empty.

After putting in one gallon of RV anti-freeze gauge showed two green lights. Have I missed another drain plug or is the gauge not correct? I didn't get any anti-freeze flow from the drain and suspect this may have something to do with the plumbing for this particular model's tank and location and would require more anti-freeze to get flow. This model's drain and o'flow tubes are toward the rear of the RV and not sure about tank location.

Any help with this particular model would be appreciated.
Ftoothman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 06:54 PM   #2
Site Team

There is no way you will ever get the fresh water tank completely empty. The drain line is not on the bottom of the tank. It's up about 2-3 in. on the wall.
Don't worry about it. There is enough room for expansion if it freezes to not cause any problems or damage.

Am I understanding you correctly that you are pouring anti freeze into the fresh water tank?
Your trailer should have valves near the water heater that you switch/turn for winterizing. When turned in the correct position, the anti freeze only runs into the water lines. Nothing goes in the water heater or fresh water tank.

Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 07:11 PM   #3
Gone Traveling

Also NEVER count on any of the gauges to ever be any where near accurate.
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 08:31 PM   #4
Weekend Camper

I have put one gallon of RV anti-freeze in the fresh water tank assuming the tank was empty and with minimal amount of water remaining in tank. The owners manual Method 1 was the procedure I was using for winterizing.
Ftoothman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 08:38 PM   #5
Full Time Camper

Simply drain fresh tank and leave it . There will be a valve with about 2-3 ft of hose connected to it near the intake of the water pump. Just put that hose in the gallon of anti freeze. And pump away ...do each faucet.
If in doubt , find a neighbour that has a trailer to help.

It was a rainy few days at Algonquin Prov park...tarps kept us dry.
Wayne --Belle River (Windsor), Ontario
2013 Sunset Trail Reserve 25RB..(just sold it)
2015 White Chev Silverado 2500HD 4x4 (6.0 l gasser)
2003 Mountain Star 890SBRX Truck Camper
harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2016, 04:09 AM   #6
Seasonal Camper

Remember to keep the drain valve open (if you have one) and the cap off during the winter.

2020 Ram 2500 Bighorn 6.7 Diesel
2014 Zinger 27RL (Traded)
2022 Grand Design Reflection 315RLTS
markandkim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2016, 09:14 AM   #7
Full Time Camper

It will take a LOT of flushing to get that pink stuff out of your fresh water tank. There is only one outlet, and as you found, there is still some low-lying area that doesn't drain. The gauge/lights probably turned opaque when the pink stuff ran down the wall and obscured the sensors. Hopefully they will clean out also in the flush process. (Fill to overflow, drain, repeat, repeat, repeat)
Dalzell SC
MartyinSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2016, 09:16 AM   #8
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ftoothman View Post
I have put one gallon of RV anti-freeze in the fresh water tank assuming the tank was empty and with minimal amount of water remaining in tank. The owners manual Method 1 was the procedure I was using for winterizing.

You are going to have to flush that fresh water tank many, many, many times before you ever get rid of that anti freeze.
Old 11-30-2016, 09:52 AM   #9
Seasonal Camper

Never put antifreeze in your fresh water tank or your hot water heater. NEVER!

2020 Ram 2500 Bighorn 6.7 Diesel
2014 Zinger 27RL (Traded)
2022 Grand Design Reflection 315RLTS
markandkim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2016, 01:35 PM   #10
Site Team

Sorry if this seems like we are all being pretty harsh on you. If it weren't for a few mistakes made along the way we would never get much done. We've all been new at this some where along the line and we all had to learn the system. Thankfully you didn't do anything to break something and the mistake you made will something you will be able to correct in the spring when you "de winterize".
Don't stop asking questions. Everybody here will be more then willing to help.
Old 11-30-2016, 10:09 PM   #11
Full Time Camper

Look at it this way: Pour 1/4 inch of pink RV antifreeze into a coffee cup, and fill to the top with water. Then pour out all but the bottom 1/4 inch. Fill again with water. Still some pink, eh? Do it again, and again, and again, keeping the bottom 1/4 inch not poured out. When do you achieve 100% pure water? Mathematically, never. When do you achieve drinkability? That's up to you.
Dalzell SC
MartyinSC is offline   Reply With Quote