Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-26-2017, 05:10 PM   #1
Family Vacation Member

Fresh water tank filling

I discovered this past weekend that my fresh water tank is now filling while using city water connection. I need some suggestions before I take it to the shop.

2016 Crossroads 291 RL Z-1
2015 Dodge Ram 1500 5.7L Hemi Outdoorsman
www.wildlifeupclose.com
moore_rvers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 05:44 PM   #2
Full Time Camper

Probably the check valve at the water pump is leaking allowing the tank to fill. Try pumping water with the pump and maybe it will clear any dirt stuck in the valve.
2009 F-150XLT
Russb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 05:49 PM   #3
Family Vacation Member

Make sur your "tank / city water hook uo valve is switching fully into either mode.
Jeffur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 05:54 PM   #4
Family Vacation Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffur View Post
Make sur your "tank / city water hook uo valve is switching fully into either mode.
I ran the pump all weekend. I disconnected the city water and used the tank instead. I tried it again and same thing.
I'm assuming that because there are two different connections for water for city and the tank that I don't have a switch or something of that sort.

www.wildlifeupclose.com
Old 03-26-2017, 06:11 PM   #5
Full Time Camper

The check valve is internal to the pump and rebuild kits are available.
2009 F-150XLT
Russb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 06:28 PM   #6
Family Vacation Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russb View Post
The check valve is internal to the pump and rebuild kits are available.
I figured something in the pump was wrong. Was hoping for something simple. But I do have an extended warranty and it covers the pump and all related parts and labor.

www.wildlifeupclose.com
Old 03-29-2017, 03:02 PM   #7
Family Vacation Member

Problem solved. I had decided not to get the dealer involved with this because I felt that a simple check valve did not warrant almost an entire day or even two hauling the TT back and forth to the dealer.

I investigated this and found that there was NO check valve anywhere in the system. neither the pump or water lines had one. the system had been replaced and all the lines were brand new with the stickers still on them.

I went to Lowes and bought a check valve and installed it.

Video here!

www.wildlifeupclose.com
Old 04-01-2017, 12:48 PM   #8
Full Time Camper

Your city water fill valve does have a check valve in it. If it didn't, the water pump would push water back out of it when using it with the fresh water tanks.
One also at the water pump so that city filler can't fill do what was happening before.
I have a 3/4" male hose plug I keep in my city filler connection so if the one way valve breaks while on tank water, it won't drain one of my tanks.
Which did happened to me several years back.

Bob and Better Half

2007 F-250 PSD, SW, CC, LB, 2WD
2006 TF32SS Cross Terrain Toy Hauler (sold)
Reese 16k slider
r2millers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2017, 02:09 PM   #9
Family Vacation Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by r2millers View Post
Your city water fill valve does have a check valve in it. If it didn't, the water pump would push water back out of it when using it with the fresh water tanks.
One also at the water pump so that city filler can't fill do what was happening before.
I have a 3/4" male hose plug I keep in my city filler connection so if the one way valve breaks while on tank water, it won't drain one of my tanks.
There is NO valve on the fill for fresh water. I checked that and when the tank is full it overflows. So no check valve there. Also, there was NO valve anywhere in the lines ir even in the pump. Yes I open the pump. I wanted to see if there was a check valve to fix or replace. There wasn't. As I said, someone removed everything at one point prior to us owning it and failed to add a check valve anywhere. there were other issues with the water system that are not mentioned here because I repaired them and resolved those as well.
The previous owners botched the system. they even took down the tank and failed to reinstall it properly and it fell off the TT while on the interstate. Thus I can assure you there were no check valves in this system.

https://www.crossroadsowners.com/for...cture1258.jpeg

www.wildlifeupclose.com
Old 04-01-2017, 02:30 PM   #10
Site Team

They do sell in line check valves. In-Line Check Valve

EAGLE HT FIFTH WHEEL | 30.5CKTS - '13 Ford F150 SCREW - PullRite Superslide - Roadmaster Active Suspension
Member - "Northeast Adventures RV Rally Group" & "Mason-Dixon Bunch"
mark5w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2017, 02:31 PM   #11
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by r2millers View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by moore_rvers View Post
There is NO valve on the fill for fresh water. I checked that and when the tank is full it overflows. So no check valve there. Also, there was NO valve anywhere in the lines ir even in the pump. Yes I open the pump. I wanted to see if there was a check valve to fix or replace. There wasn't. As I said, someone removed everything at one point prior to us owning it and failed to add a check valve anywhere. there were other issues with the water system that are not mentioned here because I repaired them and resolved those as well.
The previous owners botched the system. they even took down the tank and failed to reinstall it properly and it fell off the TT while on the interstate. Thus I can assure you there were no check valves in this system.

https://www.crossroadsowners.com/for...cture1258.jpeg

You might not have a check valve in the city water hookup, but like Bob stated, there is suppose to be one there.
I had forgotten about that, but after reading Bob's post I remembered when I did the mod to the water hook up area on our camper. I had to purchase a city water hookup to do it, and I had to knock the valve out to make it work for my connection..
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2017, 02:34 PM   #12
Family Vacation Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark5w View Post
They do sell in line check valves. In-Line Check Valve
I did research that Mark. I had thought about ordering a few actually. But our plans were to go back on the road and I just bought the one I installed from Lowe's. Worked fine. but ordering spare lines and such is on the list. Thanks!

www.wildlifeupclose.com
Old 04-01-2017, 02:38 PM   #13
Family Vacation Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lloyd View Post
You might not have a check valve in the city water hookup, but like Bob stated, there is suppose to be one there.
I had forgotten about that, but after reading Bob's post I remembered when I did the mod to the water hook up area on our camper. I had to purchase a city water hookup to do it, and I had to knock the valve out to make it work for my connection..
That was my point about it Lloyd. After all the screwy stuff the previous owners had done, they made a mess of it. That's where most of our problems were coming from.

After reading my reply I realized I came across negatively and it wasn't meant that way. Apologies to Bob.

www.wildlifeupclose.com
Old 04-04-2017, 10:30 AM   #14
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by moore_rvers View Post
That was my point about it Lloyd. After all the screwy stuff the previous owners had done, they made a mess of it. That's where most of our problems were coming from.

After reading my reply I realized I came across negatively and it wasn't meant that way. Apologies to Bob.
No apologizes needed here. Just trying to add value to the conversation.
I agreed that you couldn't have a check valve on the pump side, just never saw where you had turned on the water pump and didn't have a flow pumping out of the city water valve. If you didn't have the check valve as stated, you would find a stream flowing out of that city hookup connection.
I don't know of that connector sold without a check valve, hence the question.

Bob and Better Half

2007 F-250 PSD, SW, CC, LB, 2WD
2006 TF32SS Cross Terrain Toy Hauler (sold)
Reese 16k slider
r2millers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 05:18 PM   #15
Family Vacation Member

Yes, the city water connection DOES have a check valve on it. that was not the issue. The issue was the fresh water pump not have one on it and it flowing back into the system when I used city water.

www.wildlifeupclose.com