Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-25-2021, 09:39 AM   #21
Seasonal Camper

This is been an interesting thread, which has sparked my curiosity to try and spin a fitting to that type of poly/plastic. There's a smashed water tank over in the field and provides the perfect opportunity and material to practice. I'm curious to see if a drill spins fast enough to create the heat necessary to bond the 2 materials together. Of course the trick is to rotate the fitting, but I think a barrel sanding drum will solve that issue as there available in quite a few different sizes which I already have. I'll let you know...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg drum.jpg (240.7 KB, 1 views)
Old 04-25-2021, 10:24 AM   #22
Seasonal Camper

Toolman; Thank you for all the information!! It is very helpful and appreciated!!
Old 04-25-2021, 11:56 AM   #23
Family Vacation Member

30,000 rpm!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aceallenk View Post
This is been an interesting thread, which has sparked my curiosity to try and spin a fitting to that type of poly/plastic. There's a smashed water tank over in the field and provides the perfect opportunity and material to practice. I'm curious to see if a drill spins fast enough to create the heat necessary to bond the 2 materials together. Of course the trick is to rotate the fitting, but I think a barrel sanding drum will solve that issue as there available in quite a few different sizes which I already have. I'll let you know...
I wondered the same thing (using a drill) but according to the articles I've read they use a router with an attachment specific to the item being spin welded. 30,000 rpm is the recommended speed to generate the friction/heat. From the way the weld looks, the plastic apparently gets hot enough to flow out away from the points of contact (much like metal flows when welding). Let us know what you find out.

I've watched several YouTube videos where they spin weld metal. If you haven't seen one do a search. It's fascinating.

Dustin and Doris

2018 Crossroads, Sunset Trail 33CK,
38', 7600 lbs empty, 8300 lbs loaded.
2016 Tundra: 5.7L with towing package with added "Roadmaster Active Suspension"
toolman.dustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2021, 12:03 PM   #24
Family Vacation Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danimal713 View Post
Yep great write up. Nice find on spinning hole saw backwards to get a clean hole without cracking the plastic. A trick I use if I need to drill a larger hole and one is in place already is drill the size hole I need in a piece of wood and use it to center/locate the desired hole size over existing hole. The wood acts like a wall. It is best ti clamp the wood onto the part being drilled because as the drill spins and teeth bite, it tries to walk. Spinning it backwards might and minimized it until it started and established a track to follow. I recently had to drill a larger hole in Fiberglas hot tub shell for a temp sensor where old one was. There was no way to clamp/fasten my pattern to the tub. It did walk a little but the flange covered the area the teeth boogered and a rubber grommet made a good seal. If I had spun backwards first, it would have been less aggressive and made a cleaner hole. As it was, I was able to put enough pressure to contain the movement. I agree on using adhesive on the new sensors. My fear would be as trailer travels, there will be enough vibration to loosen the sensors and if below water level, they will leak. But great you got it figured out and always good to save some cash- and irritation of dealing with delays and exorbitant costs of service departments. And have the satifaction of fixing it yourself.
Thanks, I've made plywood hole guides in the past as well. In this situation there was no place to attach it safely. I considered hot glue but then practiced the reverse spin on an old plastic bucket and it worked so well I went this other direction. I'll check my sensors after the next trip or two to see if they are backing out. If so, I'll post an update.

Dustin and Doris

2018 Crossroads, Sunset Trail 33CK,
38', 7600 lbs empty, 8300 lbs loaded.
2016 Tundra: 5.7L with towing package with added "Roadmaster Active Suspension"
toolman.dustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2021, 07:54 AM   #25
Full Time Camper

Toolman, Thank for the informative write up. I sure hope that the repair is successful and all of your work pays off.
2021 Ford F-250 XLT Premium
6.2L, 6 3/4 ft bed, FX4. Tow pkg.
sjk1998 is offline   Reply With Quote