Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-26-2016, 10:17 PM   #1
Weekend Camper

Fresh water tank volume

Hi,
I thought I would test the usable volume.
It is stamped on the tank bottom that its a 55 US gal tank..and I understand the fill tube placement negates a few inches of volume from the top and the suction and drain ports do the same from the bottom but advertised numbers should mean something??
I calibrated the flow from the garden hose to 5 gal/min and started filling tank. 7 minutes later it was overflowing full.
Sooo..Advertised tank size in brochure for our unit is 58 gals but usable is about 35..
Has anyone else check this out?
We bought the Cruiser for a few reasons which 58 gal fresh water tank was high on the list due to us boondocking 90% of the time. Pretty disappointed in the real world numbers vs the advertised. Misleading numbers is same as false advertising in my books.
July 1st weekend is our maiden voyage so guess we will see how quick we run out of water.. might be a real clean 2012 Cruiser for sale real quick.
Cheers
Old 06-27-2016, 08:30 AM   #2
Full Time Camper

Are you sure it was full. If you fill too fast it will create an air pocket in the tank as the vent pressure can't escape fast enough. As the tank fills towards full, slow down the water flow or wait till the vent air has stopped escaping.
Stan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 09:15 AM   #3
Full Time Camper

Look under the unit,may have to drop the coroplast black lining first,to see if the pump draws from the side. If it does then you will start sucking air when there is 2" left in the tank. If you can get the hose off the fitting on the tank,simply take fitting off and glue in about 2 feet of plastic hose to the inside of the fitting ,add a brass bolt to the end of the hose for weight and punch in some holes to the end of the hose and reinsert fitting. Hook hose back up and now you will be sucking from the bottom of the tank....you will get all the water now.

It was a rainy few days at Algonquin Prov park...tarps kept us dry.
Wayne --Belle River (Windsor), Ontario
2013 Sunset Trail Reserve 25RB..(just sold it)
2015 White Chev Silverado 2500HD 4x4 (6.0 l gasser)
2003 Mountain Star 890SBRX Truck Camper
harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 11:01 AM   #4
Weekend Camper

Hi Stan, I do agree that filling too fast will cause airlock but it didn't in this case. I let it sit and drain for a bit and then tried adding more with no luck.
Cheers
Old 06-27-2016, 11:09 AM   #5
Weekend Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
Look under the unit,may have to drop the coroplast black lining first,to see if the pump draws from the side. If it does then you will start sucking air when there is 2" left in the tank. If you can get the hose off the fitting on the tank,simply take fitting off and glue in about 2 feet of plastic hose to the inside of the fitting ,add a brass bolt to the end of the hose for weight and punch in some holes to the end of the hose and reinsert fitting. Hook hose back up and now you will be sucking from the bottom of the tank....you will get all the water now.
Hey Harley,
I just had the lining down for other work and the tank is indeed plumbed from the side. I believe I made a mistake by cutting excess off the fill tube to make it a straighter run into the tank. By doing this I took out the high upwards curve that was in it and now looking back likely allowed filling above the inlet in the tank..I will change it back and see how much I can squeeze in it and will follow your advice for getting the last drops also..
Cheers