Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-16-2011, 04:54 AM   #121
New Camper

<div id="post_message_4058">I asked a question about washer and dryers

on another thread but it looks like no one saw it because I didn't get

any responses that helped me. I figured my question about fridges fits into this thread nicely, so I'm going to ask this here. Like I said, we have a

10 by 36 and we think we have room for a bigger fridge but we aren't

positive about size or weight capacity. Does anyone here have a large 2

door fridge in their mobile home? If so, would you recommend we try it? I

think we have the appropriate hookups and room, so what size fridge

should we look into? I saw some large </span></span>lg refrigerators but I don't know if they are the kind that would work in there. Let me know if you can help!

Edited by: laura1
laura1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 06:49 AM   #122
Full Time Camper

Not sure if you are directing your question towards a permanent mobile home or RV. Mobile homes (ie permanent locations) have 120v/freon systems and any home style fridge will work provided you have the space. RV fridges are 120v/12v/ammonia absorption systems that are designed for RV trailers.
Stan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 12:20 PM   #123
Weekend Camper

Been reading all the posts on the Dometic Fridge problems. Mine has the Slide type adjustment also. At one point I read where someone suggested trying
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dometic-Ther...24&amp;vxp=mtr
I have not been able to find where this particular mod was tried or reported on. It sounds like a reasonable solution. If I have missed the followup can someone point me in the right direction.

dcutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 11:03 AM   #124
Family Vacation Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcutter
Been reading all the posts on the Dometic Fridge problems. Mine has the Slide type adjustment also. At one point I read where someone suggested trying
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dometic-Ther...24&amp;vxp=mtr
I have not been able to find where this particular mod was tried or reported on. It sounds like a reasonable solution. If I have missed the followup can someone point me in the right direction.

I have that installed it helps when the temps are below 90 outside. Above 90, these fridges don't work, the only way around it is unplug the thermistor.

rollingrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 11:21 PM   #125
Weekend Camper

Thanks for the reply. I have had boats for many years before our ST. They all used Norcold and they did not run any better in the hot summer weather. We are leaving Ohio in a few weeks and heading south. So may be when we return I will give this a try.

Old 01-18-2012, 10:38 PM   #126
Full Time Camper

Hope it's not too little, too late, I only scanned the replys, didn't read them all. Had problems with ours and even had it replaced because it wouldn't keep cold and there is no adjustment to be made. Second one was not any better. Found out the little flap on the left door was not sealing the opening between the two doors. Replaced the flap and voila, no more problems, keeps a constant 34 F.
Jus' sayn'
Travel Safe

'12 F350(NotShown) / '11 Rushmore 35RL
https://i53.tinypic.com/2qs5cw3.jpg
Ruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 11:47 PM   #127
Family Vacation Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruck

Hope it's not too little, too late, I only scanned the replys, didn't read them all. Had problems with ours and even had it replaced because it wouldn't keep cold and there is no adjustment to be made. Second one was not any better. Found out the little flap on the left door was not sealing the opening between the two doors. Replaced the flap and voila, no more problems, keeps a constant 34 F.
Jus' sayn'
Travel Safe
Never too late for this...its a problem that won't seem to go away.

Ok, where is this seal you fixed?
Old 01-19-2012, 11:25 AM   #128
Full Time Camper

Its a flap that is attatched to the left door of two doors, on the top and bottom of the flap is a protrusion that is in grooves that allows it to close in order to close a gap between the two doors when shut, that flap was not following the grooves and thus allowing a gap between the doors causing it to lose it's cool...

Travel Safe

'12 F350(NotShown) / '11 Rushmore 35RL
https://i53.tinypic.com/2qs5cw3.jpg
Ruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 01:16 PM   #129
Weekend Camper

These are not house refers. The rule of thum I have always used is that the refer temp will only work to 1/2 of the outside air. If the temp is in the 100's you will not be able to get it real cold inside. I have talked to several people and they said that if the refer is in a slide the refer is going to have to work even harder. I don't know if that is true or not. If anyone has any hard facts on refer in a slide let me know.

pointer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 01:53 PM   #130
Family Vacation Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pointer1
These are not house refers. The rule of thum I have always used is that the refer temp will only work to 1/2 of the outside air. If the temp is in the 100's you will not be able to get it real cold inside. I have talked to several people and they said that if the refer is in a slide the refer is going to have to work even harder. I don't know if that is true or not. If anyone has any hard facts on refer in a slide let me know.

I disagree. My other camper had a fridge that worked 100 times better...110 outside, still 32 inside.

Old 01-24-2012, 03:40 PM   #131
Full Time Camper

Yep, the RV I traded in on this one had a Dometic with the Temp Control (slide 1-5) between the fridge and the freezer. 34 deg no matter the outside temp at #3-4. Admitted it was a 6cf and this new one with the mickey-mouse slide thermistor is an 8cf but still it flat don't work. Sorry Ruck no side by side. Freezer top and fridge bottom.
2009 Ford Lariat F350 SRW CC Diesel
2013 Cruiser CF305SK Patriot Edition
avvidclif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 10:47 PM   #132
Family Vacation Member

Send a message via Yahoo to timscruiser
Ok guys I know this has been talked &amp; talked and I guess I got lost somewear along the way BUT ?? I just went and got the parts from Radio Shack to do THAT mod . When I just foundTHIS one ?? http://www.snip-the -tip.com/cgi-bin/articca.cgi for $ 22.95 and much easyer to do SOooooooooo Has anyone done this one yet and how does IT work ??

It cost more but IF it works as good then the time saveings is worth it to me . 5 min. install ! that beats the heck out of going down the back I would think but before I but this set up and return the to the Shack I would like to know for sure .

THE CONROYS MINI MOTEL ]]

&lt;br /
timscruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 11:50 PM   #133
Weekend Camper

Hello "timscruiser" if you go back about 8 posts - this is the same part I was referring to. I agree it looked like a really simple straight forward fix. But will it work???????? I still have not seen where anyone has posted a report on how well it actually did.</span>

Old 02-06-2012, 11:55 PM   #134
Family Vacation Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by timscruiser
Ok guys I know this has been talked &amp; talked and I guess I got lost somewear along the way BUT ?? I just went and got the parts from Radio Shack to do THAT mod . When I just foundTHIS one ?? http://www.snip-the -tip.com/cgi-bin/articca.cgi for $ 22.95 and much easyer to do SOooooooooo Has anyone done this one yet and how does IT work ??

It cost more but IF it works as good then the time saveings is worth it to me . 5 min. install ! that beats the heck out of going down the back I would think but before I but this set up and return the to the Shack I would like to know for sure .
Well I have this part installed....does it work? Maybe just a hair better than the pot. Our fridges do work when the ambient temp is below 90 degrees...the "snip the temp" works great in this range. I have my buried at the max setting. Any time it's above 90 degrees, I unplug the thermistor from the board.

From this thread, I don't think there is a mod to fix this issue...it's a limitation of what we have.
Old 02-07-2012, 01:37 AM   #135
Family Vacation Member

Send a message via Yahoo to timscruiser
Thanks Guys I guess I'll just tuff it out no more then we use the fridg part anyhow the freezer we do want to work though LOL{{ TV DINNERS !! }} I wonder about putting a inline switch on the inside to do the same as unpluging the thermistor at the board ?

THE CONROYS MINI MOTEL ]]

&lt;br /
timscruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 08:48 AM   #136
Family Vacation Member

Anyone have any updates on this topic?

Old 06-30-2012, 02:02 PM   #137
Family Vacation Member

I went in to United RV today, I almost bought a new fridge...to me, its almost worth the 1200 bucks to get a Norcold and make some trim to fit the openings.

ToCruiser, please stop putting these cheap fridges in campers for the "South" Above 90 is NORMAL for us while camping. My Jayco with a Norcold never had this issue in 110 degrees andhavingthe camper in direct sun no shade but the awning. My camper is in a fully enclosed storage spot, 101 outside 95 inside and fridge temp is 42 degrees.