Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-06-2012, 02:12 PM   #1
Weekend Camper

Hello fellow rv'ers,

My neighbor has a new Salem tt from Forest River. His refrig seems to work intermittently when operating on propane. It works well on electric, but when it switches over to gas it works for a brief time and then shuts off.

The light on front blinks as if it doesn't light or has no fuel. However, his LP tanks are full and provide gas to his stove. It can be lit with no issue while the frig right next to it fails.

My thought is a clogged burning from spiders, etc. for the frig. I have not had the chance to look, but wondered other folks opinions as to a cause?

Thanks for any thoughts.

Todd
Schabtod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 03:23 PM   #2
Full Time Camper

I think there is a shutoff valve for the gas in the outside compartment for the refrig. Check to see it is open. Check wires for loose connections.
2010 CF30SK Patriot
2007 CF30SK
dalemac377 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 11:49 PM   #3
Site Team

We had a Lance truck camper that acted like that. It turned out to be the board. You wouldn't think the board would be bad on a new rig, but I guess anything is possible now days.

Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 03:39 AM   #4
Full Time Camper

The spark ignitor may not be properly positioned relative to the propane jet. Sometimes it lights and next time it attempts to cycle on, it fails to light. Yrs ago my frig worked fine at home and at the dealership, but was intermittent when camped at higher altitudes, the thinner air allowed the propane to disperse too much for the spark to ignite it. I had to adjust the ignitor just right to solve the problem. This was on a new camper also. Worked fine after that at any altitude.

Texas Baptist Men-Retiree Builders member since '01
13 Silverado 3500HD D/A, 2wd CCSB srw, custom RKI bed
11 Cruiser CF32MK
https://www.picturetrail.com/dayle1
Dayle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 11:35 AM   #5
Weekend Camper

Here's a stretch and it's unlikely it's your problem. A previous 5er had a kitchen slide out (stove, refrigerator). Whenever I'd leave on a trip, I would light the refrigerator and everything seemed to be okay. After driving a couple hundred miles or so, at the stop I would find the refrigerator not working. As with yours, the stove worked fine.

When we get to a campground and set up, the refrigerator worked fine (on gas or electric).After replacing everything but the rear tail lights <g>, I finally discovered that the flex hose for the refrigerator was kinking when the slide came in. There was enough gas in the line to light the flame but, after some time, the gas in the hose ran out. After some readjusting of the hose the problem was solved. Who woulda' thunk?
joemusic321 is offline   Reply With Quote