Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-27-2016, 07:59 AM   #1
New Camper

Front Hung Wall - Used RV

Good morning all, new here and found this forum while doing some research in to the issue below.

I am looking for some advice with something that is unfamiliar to me.

I am looking for a used travel trailer and have found a 2012 Zinger ZT25SB for sale at a local dealer.

On inspection and visible in the photos on the website, there appears to be what can only look like as some sort of either delamination or damage underneath the front cap by the clearance lights.

I can't really see any signs of water ingress inside (except for some possibly minor stains that have been cleaned up - but this is conjecture).

The dealer has said that this model uses a hung wall for the front and rear like this and cant delaminate and is just stretched over the frame and secured by screws at the weather stripping and the service department believe it was like this from the factory.

I have a gut feeling to walk away, but for my own knowledge for the future, what appears to be going on? Anything terrible?

Pictures attached.

Thanks in advance for your help and experience!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2012-CROSSROADS-ZINGER-ZT250SB-1.jpg (27.6 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg 2012-CROSSROADS-ZINGER-ZT250SB-2.jpg (26.0 KB, 18 views)
rrdiggy76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 08:01 AM   #2
Seasonal Camper

Can you reach it and push gently on the bump?
2015 ST270BH
https://burgpath.us/photos/index.php?cat=13
Burgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 08:38 AM   #3
Site Team

Can you get the dealer to pull those upper clearance lights out of their hole so you can look in there and inspect it?
From what I can see in your pics, both dents are right next to the lights, and that has been a prime spot for leaking.
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 08:50 AM   #4
New Camper

Thanks for the replies - no, i haven't had a chance to go back and get up there to push on it to see what it does or ask them to pull the lights.

I'm on the fence about digging deeper into it or just walking away now, i'm just unfamiliar with construction techniques and don't have it in me to take the dealers word for it and looking for some unbiased feedback!

Thanks for the help so far!
Old 07-27-2016, 08:52 AM   #5
Seasonal Camper

We used to have a Keystone Sprinter that just had the hung front walls front and back. On our front wall between the marker lights we had like a big dent in it right in the middle. come to find out it was doing that because of the lack of support. So when we would drive down the road it would cause the front wall to flex and buckle in spots. I'm wondering if this might not be the issue here.

As for it being delamination, that to is possible even on a hung wall. That front wall is just made up of luan and a piece of fiberglass that is bonded to the luan. So if there was/is a leak it could be causing the two to separate.

Like what Burgy posted, check to see if the spots are soft. And like Lloyd suggested see if the dealer would remove the lights to inspect it. Personally if the dealer doesn't want to work with you on it then I would move on.

Phil & Janine
2010 Dodge Ram Crew Cab Short Bed 2500HD Cummins
2014 Cruiser 333RL
campingcpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 09:49 AM   #6
Full Time Camper

I always say trust your gut !! Whatever is causing that is NOT right and it will not get any better over time, it may get worse? There are a ton of new and used rv's out there for sale. Look around and choose one that you are comfortable and confident in purchasing. Just my two cents worth. Good luck.
2021 Ford F-250 XLT Premium
6.2L, 6 3/4 ft bed, FX4. Tow pkg.
sjk1998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 09:58 AM   #7
Full Time Camper

I also agree, stay away. I just finished resealing all the caulking around my 5th wheel. Its 3 years old. A lot of work. But now very happy that its done correctly. Used Eternabond caulking.
The old crap. Leaking under the rain gutter. Not good

The newly installed caulking.
Ruby & Jade. English Springer Spaniels
Ramn4ver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 11:24 AM   #8
New Camper

Thanks for all the feedback - i think i'm going to go with my gut on this one using the advice you have all shared - very much appreciated!

I have seen many mentions of this Eternabond on here so will definitely remember this product!
Old 07-27-2016, 11:33 AM   #9
Full Time Camper

It is hung wall construction, horizontal 'studs' with the fiberglas curved over them and attached at the sides. Very possible there is no plywood behind the fiberglas skin, just the braces. Also, unlike the side walls, there is no adhesive used to bond the skin to the supports. If there is any gap between the supports and the skin, then it will buckle and the extra holes in the skin for the clearance lights along with the sharper curvature at that point makes it the most likely location for the skin to buckle. It could have left the factory looking just fine, but then buckled during the first tow to the dealer or sometime afterwards.

If there is no plywood behind the skin (as I suspect), then there is nothing to delaminate. But if it is really water damage, then there should also be interior stains lower down the front wall. In my opinion, the likelihood of identical water intrusion at both clearance lights is a relatively low probability.

Finally, on another forum, different brand, recently there was a similar thread. The owner gained access from the inside (I think the overhead cabinet) and found the horizontal braces were set back too far to even make contact with the skin. The tension from the curve was the only thing keeping the front cap in place. He was able to pop the cap back out and add bracing to keep tension on the skin.

Fortunately you don't own this unit and can make your best decision.

Texas Baptist Men-Retiree Builders member since '01
13 Silverado 3500HD D/A, 2wd CCSB srw, custom RKI bed
11 Cruiser CF32MK
https://www.picturetrail.com/dayle1
Dayle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 11:39 AM   #10
New Camper

Interesting perspective. Thanks, definitely food for thought. As others have mentioned, it's only possible to figure out with a more in depth investigation, which i am at the mercy of the dealership over, so weighing my options on how to pursue, but thanks for the construction method feedback!
Old 07-27-2016, 11:40 AM   #11
Site Team

That is a common problem in the rv industry with those type of front walls. Very little support underneath them. In fact, the one you are looking at is one of the better ones I've seen. This is one of the main reasons the the manufacturers switched to fiberglass caps. It just takes a little leak, just a cheap way to put on the front panel.
This is what I found on another site:

Quote:
Every RV has got, what we like to call, a front profile point. The top of the front wall wraps to the roof. In terms of the front wall, we can laminate Lamilux 1000 and 4000 to Unicore, a cardboard-ish product that can be scored to make it bend to the contours of the your trailer’s profile and top wrap.
Unfortunately, Unicore is an inferior product when wet. The front skin becomes bubbled. The problem with Unicore is that it is a sponge, sucking in water. Any small water leak – a screw, rail or seal leaking – will wreck the cardboard-ish Unicore, turning it into mush. This is the delamination process.
Luan, on the other hand, does not act like a sponge. The wood holds its integrity.

EAGLE HT FIFTH WHEEL | 30.5CKTS - '13 Ford F150 SCREW - PullRite Superslide - Roadmaster Active Suspension
Member - "Northeast Adventures RV Rally Group" & "Mason-Dixon Bunch"
mark5w is offline   Reply With Quote