Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-28-2016, 08:41 PM   #1
Weekend Camper

Exclamation Front of camper is delaminating....best fix??

I have a 2011 Crossroads Zinger 19RDS that I picked up earlier this spring/summer. When I got it, I noticed a little bit of waviness on the front of the camper, but after talking to some people....figured that it was just from the heat/cold and really wasn't anything to worry about...it was barely noticeable.

After I got the trailer home, I got up on the roof and noticed a few cracks in the sealant up in the front where water was probably getting it....but I repaired it all, so it's nice and water tight now.

Fast forward a few moths, and now over the last week or two the front of the camper went from just a little wavy, to "what the heck is going on!". It looks horrible now.....not sure if it's from the high humidity and heat we have had here in Missouri the last month or what, but it just looks horrible now. The thin fiberglass (or whatever it is) sheet in the front feels like the glue has let go and it's coming off of the solid board underneath it. Everything feels nice and solid (no soft spots), but the thin fiberglass covering it's just free to flex and move around on it's own.

I don't think it's a structural issue...just more of a cosmetic issue. Everything else on the front it solid, not signs of water damage inside, or under the front storage areas. Did a water leak do this, or was it just crappy glue that was used at the factory?

What's the best way to fix this? Or should I just leave it? I'm not afraid to tackle this project on my own.......

Is this normal for a trailer that's only 5 years old?? There is no delamination anywhere else on the trailer...it looks perfect.

Thoughts?

IQRaceworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 09:02 PM   #2
Site Team

Here is a thread that address the issue

http://www.crossroadsowners.com/foru...-rv-11983.html

http://www.crossroadsowners.com/foru...2-a-12064.html

EAGLE HT FIFTH WHEEL | 30.5CKTS - '13 Ford F150 SCREW - PullRite Superslide - Roadmaster Active Suspension
Member - "Northeast Adventures RV Rally Group" & "Mason-Dixon Bunch"
mark5w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 08:25 AM   #3
Weekend Camper

Yeah, that looks like a very good way to redo it....should last forever if done right.

https://youtu.be/pnH-z0Pp3eI
Old 08-29-2016, 03:44 PM   #4
Seasonal Camper

Water can also enter around those yellow marker lights. You could pull one and see if there is moisture behind it.

It s shame that such a nice looking product can be seriously damaged so quickly.
2015 ST270BH
https://burgpath.us/photos/index.php?cat=13
Burgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 04:10 PM   #5
Weekend Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burgy View Post
Water can also enter around those yellow marker lights. You could pull one and see if there is moisture behind it.

It s shame that such a nice looking product can be seriously damaged so quickly.
Yeah, for only being 5 years old I'm surprised it already has this issue. Oh well, repairing it will be a good learning experience.
Old 08-29-2016, 04:20 PM   #6
Site Team

Here is a source if you want to do it yourself. RV Filon Fiberglass Siding in California | Hemet Valley RV

EAGLE HT FIFTH WHEEL | 30.5CKTS - '13 Ford F150 SCREW - PullRite Superslide - Roadmaster Active Suspension
Old 08-29-2016, 04:36 PM   #7
Weekend Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark5w View Post
Here is a source if you want to do it yourself. RV Filon Fiberglass Siding in California | Hemet Valley RV
I think I'm going to try to replace it with painted aluminum sheeting.....looks better, smoother, and from the way it sounds, even if you take care of it..that filon/cardboard sheeting can delaminate again in a few years. Not sure I want to do this repair twice.
Old 08-29-2016, 04:38 PM   #8
Site Team

I agree. Aluminum would be a permanent fix. Good luck and when you do it, take and post pics.