Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-11-2014, 01:13 AM   #1
Seasonal Camper

Froze my lines

I went and loaded my TT for a trip next weekend and found my water lines obviously had froze. I thought I had everything drained but apparently not, I found my kitchen sink head popped of on the counter along with water. After pulling the caps on the low point drains I was amazed how much water came out again after being done once before the freeze along with the water heater. The sink head popped right back on and the cover screwed back down, I was wondering if it's designed to pop off to prevent the water lines from cracking? I found no other water anywhere inside my TT so I hope everything else is ok. 14 degrees in South Texas doesn't happen often. lol
Old 01-11-2014, 07:39 AM   #2
Full Time Camper

I always leave the low point drain caps off after winterizing. Some say bugs get in , but they will flush out when water hooked up in spring. And leave every tap open. And water heater drain plug out.

It was a rainy few days at Algonquin Prov park...tarps kept us dry.
Wayne --Belle River (Windsor), Ontario
2013 Sunset Trail Reserve 25RB..(just sold it)
2015 White Chev Silverado 2500HD 4x4 (6.0 l gasser)
2003 Mountain Star 890SBRX Truck Camper
harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 11:32 AM   #3
Full Time Camper

That's why I always drain, and then run pink stuff through. But that's all woulda shoulda coulda. I know sometimes when I have drained using the low point drains I think I have everything out and then I tilt the trailer and get more out. I also make sure the fresh tank is reading on empty and I too leave the drain plug out of the hot water heater. I do however keep my low point drain caps on but then again I have the pink stuff sitting in there. When draining and running antifreeze you can't forget about the outside shower and toilet lines as well. We run til pink comes out everywhere. We also run some into both grey and black tanks just to make sure there good. If you don't want yo run pink stuff then blowing out the lines with an air compressor set around 40 psi will help. But you will need to get a Blow out plug for that. Wal-Mart carries them too. I would be worried something you can't see is already cracked. Good luck.

2014 Chevy Silverado 3500 SRW Duramax
2011 Zinger ZT26BL-sold
2014 Sabre 34REQS

***Member of the Mason-Dixon Group***
anaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 12:11 PM   #4
Seasonal Camper

Hooked up to water today and all is good. No leaks after 3 hours of pressure.
Old 01-11-2014, 01:22 PM   #5
Seasonal Camper

Shane:
Glad it is all OK. Gotta watch those temperatures.I remember Keith giving me the Yeti eye when I pointed out he said never needed to winterize.Get one of those blowout adapter and hit it with compressed air when you shut her down for an extended period. I have not used Pink stuff in the lines only in the P-traps for a few years now just blow it out and had no problems even up here with the cold and snow.
I spotted some Sasquatch hair up elk hunting this year.Got my elk but no Yeti Really gonna miss seeing that pelt you brought home.Happy Camping.

2019 Volante 240RL
mapachoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 02:24 PM   #6
Full Time Camper

Shane, glad to see that everything worked out for you. Where are you camping right now? In Tejas?

Aileen, where are your low point drains on your Zinger? We did not find anything to drain other than our fresh water tank. We blew everything and pinked it all. Just concerned that we missed a hidden something or other. Personally, I think they should be clearly marked on a diagram or something. IMHO.

We were in the 60s today in VA. Having all seasons this week. Just plain crazy.

Jean
2013 Zinger 30KB - Sold
CrossroadsRV Rally 2013 & 2014 - Northeast Crossroads Rally 2014 - Mason-Dixon Rally 2014
BODERRVING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 08:47 PM   #7
Full Time Camper

Sounds like you dodged the bullet. Glad to hear all was okay.
Valley 16K slider
Ride-Rite air bags
mike06081969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 09:26 PM   #8
Site Team

It's always better safe than sorry to winterize your Rv. Either way, blow or pink, will save you possible damage. Only takes a few below freezing nites to suffer damage. Glad it turned out OK for you.

EAGLE HT FIFTH WHEEL | 30.5CKTS - '13 Ford F150 SCREW - PullRite Superslide - Roadmaster Active Suspension
Member - "Northeast Adventures RV Rally Group" & "Mason-Dixon Bunch"
mark5w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 01:24 PM   #9
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by BODERRVING View Post
Shane, glad to see that everything worked out for you. Where are you camping right now? In Tejas?

Aileen, where are your low point drains on your Zinger? We did not find anything to drain other than our fresh water tank. We blew everything and pinked it all. Just concerned that we missed a hidden something or other. Personally, I think they should be clearly marked on a diagram or something. IMHO.

We were in the 60s today in VA. Having all seasons this week. Just plain crazy.

Jean
The low point drains are under the trailer on the passenger side kind of between the fresh water input and the hot water heater.

Look under your trailer for two little white plastic caps. Twist the cap off to drain. If you ran pink stuff through you should be ok for now.

2014 Chevy Silverado 3500 SRW Duramax
2011 Zinger ZT26BL-sold
2014 Sabre 34REQS

***Member of the Mason-Dixon Group***
anaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 05:24 PM   #10
Seasonal Camper

my low point drains are at the back of mine.
Old 01-21-2014, 07:37 PM   #11
New Camper

Pink stuff is very inexpensive and safe
haycutter is offline   Reply With Quote