Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-15-2009, 10:45 AM   #1
Weekend Camper

On our maiden voyage(4 weeks worth), we had one night drop down to 24 degrees. I had put heat tape on my hose from rv park supply to my "city water" connection on the CT32GR with no problem. I had a problem inside the trailer "somewhere". I had no water at any of the faucets or toilet. I didn't try the pump and fresh water supply...... it didn't have my full attention at 3AM. It cleared the next morning with the rise in temp outside but has me confused. We got the upgrade on the insulation and the entire underbelly is enclosed. Any ideas where I need to look when it warms up?

Thanks in advance.
baro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 12:03 PM   #2
Full Time Camper

Since no faucets or toilet worked, I would guess the water line near the main hose connection from the city. If everything is working now, turn off the city water and pressurize the system with the pump then turn it off. Wait an hour without using any water. If you turn on the pump and it doesn't run, your probably OK. If the pump runs to pressurize the system again, you may have a leak. I can leave my system pressurized for several hours and the pump won't run when turned back on.

The upgraded insulation is not an absolute. It depends on outside temp and winds, how often the furnace runs, etc.
Stan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 12:18 PM   #3
Family Vacation Member

Were you using your gas heater or electric heaters?If you used electric only that could be part of the problem.Its always best to unhook your water line from the camper and drain it so as not to have problems.

2009 Cruiser 29RK
FB1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 01:13 PM   #4
Full Time Camper

When we have camped with occasional temps in the mid-twenties, I leave the galley grey tank drain valve open and trickle the cold water in the kitchen sink. I don't have my hose heat taped and have never frozen up. Maybe I have just been lucky, but I do run the furnace along with two electric heaters set on low setting to insure the furnace comes on occasionally
2010 CF30SK Patriot
2007 CF30SK
dalemac377 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 12:07 PM   #5
Weekend Camper

Letting the water trickle is always a good solution. If you remember too!

<font color=BROWN>2006 33RL Paradise Point</font>

[img]smileys/smiley1.gif[/img]

https://i208.photobucket.com/albums/b...amper/33rl.jpg
CamperNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 02:31 PM   #6
Seasonal Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamperNJ
Letting the water trickle is always a good solution. If you remember too!
Depends on what the temperature is. If you have much below zero then you are in danger of the sewer drain line freezing closed. This can result in a big mess. Been there.
rcflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 10:17 PM   #7
Weekend Camper

Thanks for the info. I ran a small electric heater(set on low).but used the gas furnace most of the night I pressurized the system and didn't have any leaks. I think I will disconnect the city water line next time they expect temps in the twenties to be safe

Thanks for the replies!
baro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 07:12 AM   #8
Full Time Camper

Send a message via Yahoo to mwebber78
You could fill your fresh water tank partially and run off the pump/tank - many people do this when traveling through cold weather states or when stopping at a park when it's going to be cold. We do this when we camp in late October as it can be snowing in these parts this time of year.
mwebber78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 08:24 PM   #9
Full Time Camper

Even though you put heat tape on your hose the park may not have the spigot hooked up, this happened to us once this year. I agree that it may also have been at the city connection it is hard to keep that point warm.

Chrisnan23 is offline   Reply With Quote