Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-07-2010, 11:26 AM   #1
Weekend Camper

I now have a problem that has occurred in two separate trailers in the same type of situation, with no apparent cause or remedy.
The problem is this. After several days camping in cold temperatures with the furnace cycling on and off as needed, the furnace would simply refuse to relight. Of course this happens in the middle of the night each time.
I have tried to "reset" the system by turning off the furnace at the thermostat, disconnecting and reconnecting the power (both at the batteries and to shore power) and disconnecting and reconnecting the propane. When the furnace was turned back on, the blower would run for 15 seconds or so, but there was no indication that the DSI would fire to light the burner. The blower would then turn off.
Each time this would happen (twice with the old trailer and once with the CR), the furnace would eventually restart. This last time it started after I removed the front of the furnace and checked for any loose wiring connections. No issues were found but the furnace miraculously started again.
When this happened with the old trailer, I brought it in to the service department, but they could not recreate the problem. They did end up replacing the thermostat as this was all that they could think of. Of course we sold this trailer before being in a position where the problem could present itself again.
I am concerned now that the same issue has happened with the new CR.
Has anyone else experienced something similar. And if so, have you determined a remedy?
Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Canucklehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 12:26 PM   #2
Family Vacation Member

Could it be the regulator freezing up? I guess the control board could be causing it. I would think its Freezup from moisture in the propane going thru the regulator.I haven't had this happen, but have heard of it from others.

2009 Cruiser 29RK
FB1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 01:32 PM   #3
Weekend Camper

I thought of that but all of the other propane appliances work fine when the furnace will not light. The fridge will light and run on propane. The burners on the stove work normally. Even the hot water tank will light. Only the furnace seems to have a problem.
What could be the problem with the control board? Would this be something you would expect on a new trailer?

Old 01-07-2010, 08:40 PM   #4
Full Time Camper

I don't know if any of the information in the post below would help but you might give it a look.

http://www.crossroadsrv.com/forum/fo...eater&PN=1
Hunter11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 07:20 AM   #5
Family Vacation Member

I would suggest checking the sail switch in blower assembly as it has to close its contact before the unit will fire. Sometimes it needs a little bending to better sense the airflow. I had this problem myself and also have had to troubleshoot some other peoples furnaces. They can close one time and not the next.
carl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 09:18 AM   #6
Family Vacation Member

On a new trailer even the new board could be a problem ,the flow switch (sail sw) could be the problem,but I would think if the heater runs and cycles off and then won't start back I don't know if for sure.I think my heater is a Surburban and their made in TN and I think they have a help line on their web site.But on a new trailer I would let a dealer fix it.

2009 Cruiser 29RK
FB1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 01:54 PM   #7
Weekend Camper

I work on home units and when this happens it is the limit switch that is starting the blower. It may run around 10 minutes and then reset. Most home units with try and restart 3 times because of some problem and then shut down for 1 to 2 hours. By turning off the power for 5 minutes it resets the computer board. No experience on rv yet but plan on doing some reading.
Robbie Ribbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 10:46 PM   #8
Weekend Camper

Gas pressures drop with low temps the furnace is more btus than the other applianced possibly not enough press. to run furnace?
Greg Morin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 08:30 AM   #9
Weekend Camper

Thanks for the responses everyone. We will keep an eye on it and see if it repeats. If it does I will drop it off at the dealer to look at the board.

Old 01-28-2010, 04:23 AM   #10
New Camper

We had tons of trouble with the furnace in our ST 31QB when we first bought it.

Home in our driveway.... ignited just fine. Off camping in freezin weather and of course would fail to ignite every time when we needed it the most. We would do every trick people told us to with shutting off the heat and trying again...liting the stove, you name it, it would just fail to fire.

Finally had a mobile repair guy check it out and it turned out to be a "short" because a wire was touching another metal piece. Haven't had any trouble since.
ctquadbunkmom is offline   Reply With Quote