Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-13-2012, 05:14 AM   #1
Weekend Camper

I have a brand new Sahara 5th wheel. First week of camping without power and the weather was chilly mid 40s. My furnace would not heat up the trailer, except for the bedroom and bath. The furnace constantly ran, could never get above 62and used up 20 lb s of propane in two nightsof running and drained my batteries./ I have the polar package as well. Please tell me there is a fix for this. The two registers attached to the stairs have no heat coming out of them. I looked inside and can see a plate covering the duct hole. Should this be removed? Any other things to look at before I take it back to the dealer.
redwing43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 07:25 AM   #2
Full Time Camper

That is the first thing to check, is make certain that the holes going to the ducts are open, They some times do not knock those plugs out

Traveling with Rainbow the wonder dog and now with Sunshine the rescue Schnauzer.
fhenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 08:00 AM   #3
Family Vacation Member

redwing,
Using up your battery and that much propane is probably normal if not hooked to shore power or a generator. Running constant and not heating up the rv is not normal at those temps.
Like Frank said, check for a blockage in the ducting.
good luck
Dennis

cruzr4-2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 08:05 AM   #4
Full Time Camper

If you are not getting warm air out of all the ducts/vents then they are plugged and the thing that is plugging them needs to be removed. If they did not remove the "plugs" at the furnace then they need to be removed.
Propane use - last fall when we purchased our2012 Cruiser Patriot CF335SSfifth wheel we went for a trip to Hershey, PA. Got below freezing ever night - was cool and breezy every day. </span>To see how the furnace worked and how much propane we would use we</span>only valved in one bottle. During the evening of day 3 we had gone through one bottle of propane. When we were in bed or away for the day the thermostat was set for 64 degrees. Other times the thermostat was set for 70 degrees. When we were in the trailer we had the fireplace set for medium heat except we turned it off during night.</span>

2012 Cruiser Patriot CF335SS.

2011 Silverado 3500HD LTZ CCLB Duramax SRW 4X4

https://i1193.photobucket.com/albums/...ailerKeuka.jpg
NorskeNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 09:09 AM   #5
Full Time Camper

I had to make sure the ducts were not kinked between the furnace and register. As others have said, ensure each vent run duct plate has been removed and that there are no open duct plates with out a duct attached.

Stan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 02:06 AM   #6
Weekend Camper

I do have warm air coming out of my floor vents, just not a very strong flow towards the back of the camper. I have two grill vents on my stairs. I pulled those off and the furnace is right there. On the side of the furnace are two holes for additional ducts,with plates covering them. There is no duct work attached to these holes. My question is does any one have the same set up and are the plates removed allowing the air to come through those vents?
redwing43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 02:50 AM   #7
Full Time Camper

The plates should not be removed unless there is going to be a duct attached. Some ducts will flow more air than others. If you don't have adjustable registers then that will help. I replaced all my registers (as have others) with adjustable ones from H.D. and can now adjust the flow in the living room so the weaker flowing ducts will get more heat.

Stan is offline   Reply With Quote