Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-05-2010, 03:47 PM   #1
Weekend Camper

We have a Crossroads Cruiser 5th wheel trailer with an Atwood Wedgewood Vision 3 burner stove.
We can smell gas comming from the stove, I think the smell is comming from the oven knob. I can't smell gas from the oven, but you can smell it on top by the knob, under the stove in the storage compartment and behind the drawers. My husband has "soaped all the connections in the trailer and no bubbles. The gas lp protecter went off. We had to disable it, yes I know you are not suppose to do this but we were out of state for 3 weeks. Any ideas? Could it be our propane tank valve or regulator that's inside an outside cabinet? And yes we will fix the lp protecter, so no remarks about how dumb that was.

Porterville, Ca.

2006 Cruiser CF29CK owner pulled with a 2006 GMC crewcab LBZ Duramax

Contributing forum member since 2006
gbsell@sbcglobal.net is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 04:04 PM   #2
Full Time Camper

Bad situation. To start, I would try and isolate the leak by disconnecting the stove and plugging the gas line. Ace or H.D. will have a plug. Have checked the lines to the fridge? I assume it is nearby as well.

Stan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 12:59 AM   #3
Seasonal Camper

Gas companies and fireplace sales companies have sniffers. Maybe you could talk someone into loaning you one, let the trailer air out with the propane off and then turn it on and use the sniffer.

https://www.runnerduck.com/images/dev...andtrailer.jpg

KennyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 11:54 AM   #4
Weekend Camper

We found the leak! It wasn't the stove at all, it was the copper tubing from the refrigerator to a T fitting behind the drawers between the stove and the refrigerator. The copper tubing was split underneath the refrigerator and was totally. The split was in a sharp bend from the factory and lasted all these years. Don't ask me how I found it, I'll never tell. We replaced it with a high pressure rubber gas line made for propane. Easy to do.We taped a straightened wire hanger to the rubber gas line and fished it through the hole we had opened when we removed the hardden putty around the copper line outside in the lower refrigerator vent. Then connected it to the fitting behind the drawers.We hooked up the gas detector and everything works fine.</span> Now I just have to fix the bracing that holds the drawers in place. Come to find out they are only stapled in place. The boards that are stapled does not go completely to the floor, so you have the weight of 4 drawers held up by about 20 staples. On bumpy roads we would break the plastic brackets screwed into these boards. We are going to us PL premium polyurethane construction adhesive from Home Depot to glue the boards in place and replace with boards that go down to the floor.
P.S. Getting the copper gas line was hard to get out...we had to cut it in two. Thanks to Stan and Kenny B. for your ideas. Dumb luck found this.

Porterville, Ca.

2006 Cruiser CF29CK owner pulled with a 2006 GMC crewcab LBZ Duramax

Contributing forum member since 2006
gbsell@sbcglobal.net is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 12:15 PM   #5
Full Time Camper

Great news. Also nice to know those propane detectors actually work!

Stan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 12:38 AM   #6
Seasonal Camper

I'm surprised that no one mentioned using a match, that would find it

Glad it worked out for you, that could have ruined your whole day!

https://www.runnerduck.com/images/dev...andtrailer.jpg

KennyB is offline   Reply With Quote