Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-09-2021, 01:50 AM   #1
Weekend Camper

Gas propane line clogged?

I have a 2014 Sunset Trail 32RL that has two quick connect propane ports and both have very low flow or pressure. The stove, water heater, and furnace work fine so I’m thinking I have a clog in the line since the two ports are down stream from the appliances that do work. I’ve tried multiple hoses with the same results. Is there a way to maybe blow the lines out with compressed air?

Thanks!
stuckin4low is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2021, 08:30 AM   #2
Site Team

How low is the pressure? You should not have high pressure as the regulator is working fine for the other gas appliances. What are you trying to run on the quick connect and does it have its own regulator?
dagst1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2021, 08:53 AM   #3
Seasonal Camper

it's pretty unlikely that you'd have a clog like that, something else is going on. What are you trying to use on those ports? If it another gas grill or griddle, it probably has it's own regulator, and you cannot have two regulators. You should have nothing but hose between the quick-connect and the appliance.
Also, are you aware that some/most quick connects have a little shut-off, safety lever that needs to be in the parallel position in order for gas to flow.
Wingerdinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2021, 09:28 PM   #4
Weekend Camper

Gas propane line clogged?

I’m running my grill (no regulator) and also outdoor stove. Both items are factory to the rig and worked fine up until this season. I’ve had this RV since new 2014.
stuckin4low is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2021, 06:42 AM   #5
Seasonal Camper

If you have ruled out the hose and the appliances I would venture to guess it’s the quick connect valve on your camper that has failed. I have had hoses fail and it baffles you why! However, unrelated but there’s a brand of propane heaters called Mr. Buddy. They require an inline filter if you’re using it with a bulk tank. This filter is not required for the little green tanks people use. The filter is used as hoses breakdown inside. With this in mind, there’s a possibility that your pipe had crud in it and it finally got to the valve.
660catman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2021, 02:16 PM   #6
Weekend Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuckin4low View Post
I have a 2014 Sunset Trail 32RL that has two quick connect propane ports and both have very low flow or pressure. The stove, water heater, and furnace work fine so I’m thinking I have a clog in the line since the two ports are down stream from the appliances that do work. I’ve tried multiple hoses with the same results. Is there a way to maybe blow the lines out with compressed air?
I've noticed my outside stove with a quick connect appears to also have lower pressure than previous years (burners are lower, longer to cook). Same stove, hose, connects, etc. Nothing new or different. Furnace and fridge are fine. I would be interested to know the result. I will check my hose and connector also.

Jim
Old 07-15-2021, 02:40 PM   #7
Site Team

When you turn on the LP for your stoves/grills, try turning it on slower. There is a chance you are overloading the regulator and that is causing the problem.

I had that issue with my gas grill here at home, and that was the cause for me.
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2021, 05:44 PM   #8
Weekend Camper

Could be a number of things,some outside appliances have an efv(excess flow vale) built in which if it senses a rise in flow it shuts off and then takes a few minutes to reset,this is in case a line ruptures.In this case as was mentioned,turn the appliances on slowly.The hose could also be your problem,most of your appliances after the regulator run on inches of water column which is less than a pound so there won’t be a lot of pressure!Insects are bad to get in where the orface of the appliance is and restrict the flow of gas,spiders especially,I have had that happen a number of times,they are attracted to the smell of propane,good luck!
Old 07-15-2021, 05:48 PM   #9
Seasonal Camper

To embellish a little on what Lloyd said:
There is a safety valve in the LP tank that prevents you from turning on the tank without being connected. Sometimes you can open the tank too quickly, and trigger that valve, then you get low flow.
As I understand it, the process to fix this is:
turn off all tanks, and disconnect the hoses fully. Then reconnect the hoses, and make sure the threads are clean with no corrosion, and are tight and well seated. Once things are tight, SLOWLY open each tank until fully open.
It's possible it's your issue.
Wingerdinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2021, 06:39 PM   #10
Weekend Camper

Had the same problem with the quick connection port for my bbq, it was clogged by mud wasps nesting crud. Took the valve off and cleaned it and works fine. I now put a plastic plug in the quick connector to keep them out.
Old 07-16-2021, 07:02 PM   #11
Family Vacation Member

If you are connecting to a stove/ device that has its own pressure regulator, you need a hose connection that bypasses (does not need the device regulator.) You are ending up w/ TWO regulators in series otherwise/ I.e. 11"-wc input to device regulator trying to get 11" wc OUT of same. It will look more like this: https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/rVIAA...6Vf/s-l640.jpg
TerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2021, 05:26 AM   #12
Weekend Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuckin4low View Post

Thanks!
I found the problem with my propane flow. Turns out the regulator was bad. I bought a digital Manometer on Amazon for $30 and measured the propane pressure. I tested every component one by one starting with the quick connect. I would test it then remove it from the line and test the next part. From what I've read the pressure should measure between 10.5 and 11 inches water column. Mine measured 7.5 at each test point. The stove, fridge, water heater and the furnace still worked fine (meaning food stayed cold, heat came out of furnace etc.). That doesn't mean they were working properly. I checked 2 old regulators I had, one measured 9.5 and one measured 12. The new replacement regulator measured 11.5. I haven't tried the grill yet (next trip starts this weekend), but the burners on the stove are a little higher. Another plus is the fridge gets colder than it ever has in years. Previously, the thermometer in the fridge measured about 40-42, the coldest it would go. I always figured it was just the nature of the fridge. Now it gets down to almost freezing (with the same settings) and I have to turn it up slightly to get closer to 38F. Also the hot water heater sounds quieter. Not sure how all these appliances use propane pressure vs. volume, but I'm happy with the results. I'll report back on how the outside stove works when I return!