Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-20-2011, 04:52 AM   #1
Weekend Camper

I have a Cruiser30 5th 2006. The bed platform is too heavy for my wife to lift. The original pressure springs have 60 pds extended and 80 pds compressed . They are 60 pounds. My question is ; what's best to replace with 80, 100, 120 , 150 pounds What would be too much and what problems would this bring . Is there a way to know whichis best by measuring anything. The price is the same.
denism28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 05:21 AM   #2
Family Vacation Member

Glad you asked the question. Waiting to hear answers. Our Zinger mattress was fine with the stock gas struts. But, we replaced the mattress and now it's heavier than the struts can handle so we have to prop it up. Wife can't lift it by herself. So, I will keep tabs on this thread to see what advice you get.
NH Horseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 05:22 AM   #3
Full Time Camper

Had the same problem with our original 60 X 80 inch queen bed platform. Just replaced struts before our trip last month with 95 pounders. We have the original spring mattress with a foam topper that adds a little weight. Original struts would not hold the platform upright andthe platform was too heavy for Joyce to lift. Nowworks fine and Joyce can lift the platform all the way up with the struts holding it fully upright. To me, it feels like the struts are right on the edge of their effectiveness, so will go with 120's if I have to replace if they lose their gas someday. They were surprisingly easy to replace with a broomstick holding the platform up. Took 5 minutes. Most important thing is to replace with same physicalmeasurements as the originals. Looked up the manufacturer and part numberon the originals themselvesand went online to their website for specs. Took those in to NAPA here in town and they matched the size exactly. Easy, cost effective and made a significant improvement.

Breckenridge, CO
'08 Crossroads Sunset Trail ST30BH Traded
'21 Grand Design Reflection 31MB 5er
'22 Cougar 29RLI 5er
'23 RAM 2500 4X4 CTD
coastn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 06:28 AM   #4
Full Time Camper

Hmmm replaced the mattress two weeks ago did not even think of the gas struts. But our is factory fresh under there

Traveling with Rainbow the wonder dog and now with Sunshine the rescue Schnauzer.
fhenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 08:45 AM   #5
Full Time Camper

Be careful and don't go overboard with replacement struts. If they are too strong, the bed will pop up while traveling and the extra flex and stress will cause other problems for the bed platform. But you could also add a simple latch as a safety measure if the struts are too strong.

Texas Baptist Men-Retiree Builders member since '01
13 Silverado 3500HD D/A, 2wd CCSB srw, custom RKI bed
11 Cruiser CF32MK
https://www.picturetrail.com/dayle1
Dayle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 11:41 AM   #6
Full Time Camper

Some real good information here....thanks for posting the question...

2015 Rushmore Springfield
Disc Brake upgrade, Goodyear G614 tire upgrade
RV FLEX-ARMOR roof, Mor-Ryde IS suspension

2017 F350 Dually 4x4 6.7 Bronze Fire
gossamar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 02:25 PM   #7
Seasonal Camper

I had to go with the 120 lb struts with our memory foam topper. I had to do some reinforcement to the strut mounting area. Never havehad any problem with bed lifting by its self.
rcflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 03:59 PM   #8
Seasonal Camper

I have a memory foam bed and I plan to add another strut on each side.

Old 11-20-2011, 09:47 PM   #9
Full Time Camper

I have 8" full lentgh queen mattress and 100 lbs. works good. My wife can now open it herself and it will stay open.
cwit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 10:38 PM   #10
Family Vacation Member

I thought about adding a strut but it would have to be a different length than the original or the bed won't go up right. I took the mattress out of my motorhome, put it in the camper, then also brought over the memory foam topper. The mattress is heavier than the stock one and the topper adds more weight still. Are struts available from camping supply places or automotive places? I didn't know they came in different strengths.
NH Horseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 10:40 PM   #11
Weekend Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by coastn

Had the same problem with our original 60 X 80 inch queen bed platform. Just replaced struts before our trip last month with 95 pounders. We have the original spring mattress with a foam topper that adds a little weight. Original struts would not hold the platform upright andthe platform was too heavy for Joyce to lift. Nowworks fine and Joyce can lift the platform all the way up with the struts holding it fully upright. To me, it feels like the struts are right on the edge of their effectiveness, so will go with 120's if I have to replace if they lose their gas someday. They were surprisingly easy to replace with a broomstick holding the platform up. Took 5 minutes. Most important thing is to replace with same physicalmeasurements as the originals. Looked up the manufacturer and part numberon the originals themselvesand went online to their website for specs. Took those in to NAPA here in town and they matched the size exactly. Easy, cost effective and made a significant improvement.

I will go with 120. thanks for the answer.
Old 11-20-2011, 10:51 PM   #12
Weekend Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dayle1
Be careful and don't go overboard with replacement struts. If they are tttoo strong, the bed will pop up while traveling and the extra flex and stress will cause other problems for the bed platform. But you could also add a simple latch as a safety measure if the struts are too strong.

Thanks I will keep an eye on that.

Old 11-20-2011, 10:53 PM   #13
Weekend Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcflyer
I had to go with the 120 lb struts with our memory foam topper. I had to do some reinforcement to the strut mounting area. Never havehad any problem with bed lifting by its self.

I will prob. go with 120 too.
Old 11-20-2011, 10:56 PM   #14
Weekend Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by sking

Dont forget to choose another size cause the new ones wont be at the same position.
Old 11-20-2011, 10:58 PM   #15
Weekend Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwit

I have 8" full lentgh queen mattress and 100 lbs. works good. My wife can now open it herself and it will stay open.

Thank you for the answer.
Old 11-20-2011, 11:04 PM   #16
Weekend Camper

[QUOTE=NH Horseman]I thought about adding a strut but it would have to be a different length than the original or the bed won't go up right. I took the mattress out of my motorhome, put it in the camper, then also brought over the memory foam topper. The mattress is heavier than the stock one and the topper adds more weight still. Are struts available from camping supply places or automotive places? I didn't know they came in different strengths. [/

On the net type gas struts or gas springs. As an example seeMakariosRV.com but for prices maybe you could get better prices elsewhere. I am searching right now.
Old 11-21-2011, 12:26 AM   #17
Seasonal Camper

We put in a new mattress that weighed more and went with 100# struts, they work great. We got them fromMichael Wilske</span>http://<a href="mailto:rv-trader@cle...arwire.net</a></span>and he was very helpful in selecting the correct strut.</span>

https://www.runnerduck.com/images/dev...andtrailer.jpg

KennyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 03:17 AM   #18
Full Time Camper

I relocated the end of the strutts that connect to the sides of the bed frame. Moved them toward the foot of the bed so they push in the same direction the bed is lifting. My 60 lb strutts now almost hold the bed up with my heavy mattress. When I change to 80 lb it will easily hold the bed up. Crossroads has always angled the strutts backword. Did the same thing on my 07 cruiser.
2010 CF30SK Patriot
2007 CF30SK
dalemac377 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 03:17 AM   #19
Seasonal Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by denism28

Quote:
Originally Posted by sking

Dont forget to choose another size cause the new ones wont be at the same position.
Already picked up the same size, by changing mounting location you can adjust for proper fit. I chose to go with 2 sets rather then place all the stress from a heavier shock on 1 mounting point.
Old 11-21-2011, 04:02 AM   #20
Weekend Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalemac377
I relocated the end of the strutts that connect to the sides of the bed frame. Moved them toward the foot of the bed so they push in the same direction the bed is lifting. My 60 lb strutts now almost hold the bed up with my heavy mattress. When I change to 80 lb it will easily hold the bed up. Crossroads has always angled the strutts backword. Did the same thing on my 07 cruiser.
Sounds like an excellent idea!

2011 Seville VF36SB

https://i1130.photobucket.com/albums/...mi/Seville.jpg
GaPete is offline   Reply With Quote