Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-15-2014, 09:36 PM   #1
Seasonal Camper

Generator Maintenance

I have been reading a few posts on generators here lately and it reminded me to go out and run mine for a few hours to keep them in shape. I waited until it was in the high teens today (been brutal here in Mn this winter) and tried to start them both. To my surprise, no luck with either. So a quick youtube search and I found the problem. Hondas have a big problem with their carbs gumming/varnishing up faster than other small engines. And, like a dummy, I have not been running non-oxy gas in them lately. I will from now on.
Anyway, there was a great youtube video by a guy names Reed Lukens that goes through how easy of a fix it is.
It took me longer to clear my work bench than it did to clean both carbs. I forgot how easy a honda starts when it is working properly.
Here is his link

He makes it seam easier than some of the other sites.
Anyway, just a reminder to keep your generators in working order, and to clean the carb. This guy saved me $180 in small engine "repairs'
Old 02-16-2014, 01:23 PM   #2
Site Team

Good post!!
Thanks!!
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 02:27 PM   #3
Seasonal Camper

I have one of the Champion units and with it I can turn the fuel off at the tank and let it run until it runs out of gas and dies. That way there is no fuel in the carb to gum up with our mandated ethanol fuels.

If stored for several months, like my weed whacker, I also drain the fuel from the tank and put in fresh fuel when I am going to use it again.

I've used this technique on many small engine products for nearly 30 years now and have yet to need to clean a carb because of gum. Dirt, maybe, but not gumming up.

When needed, just fuel up, hit the choke and she starts right up.

YMMV

Viet Nam Vet 70-71 Da Nang

Real airplanes have two wings and big, round, engines
BipeFlier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 03:24 PM   #4
Full Time Camper

Thanks mnsunset for the great video, It also worked on my Yamaha genny.
Faribault MN
LeBo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 04:51 PM   #5
Seasonal Camper

BipeFlier you are correct sir. That is the defect with the hondas. You cant run the gas out of them unless you run the tank dry.
Also forgot to mention, here in Minnesota we run a lot of gas with alcohol in it. From now on I will run high octane, non oxy fuel in all my small engines. This should help with varnishing carbs and someone correct me if I am wrong but I think the high octane stuff has a much longer shelf life.
Old 02-16-2014, 04:59 PM   #6
Full Time Camper

The local supplier of the non-alcohol unleaded can now only get the mid grade. GRRRR.

They are slowly making it harder and harder to maintain gas engines.

I would really like to know if premium would have less alcohol but I guess it's really a moot point as the blend is different everywhere you go....
2009 Ford Lariat F350 SRW CC Diesel
2013 Cruiser CF305SK Patriot Edition
avvidclif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 02:29 PM   #7
Seasonal Camper

I see to run 94 octane as it was ethanol free in all my small engines but the petro vendor changed its policy without making it public knowledge. I now mix stabilizer with everything starting in September and February. It is frustrating that we have to see any ethanol in our fuel choices knowing the damage it does in such a short time.
Old 02-17-2014, 03:42 PM   #8
Full Time Camper

I have a Honda EU3000is which has a shut off and I try to start at least 1 time a month if not twice during the winter months. I also change out the spark plug and air filters every year. We use ours a lot at the races so it gets dusty. I also run Sea Foam in the fuel. They say it helps stabilize the fuel and clean up the carbs. Plus I keep it on a battery maintainer. No problems yet.

Chris & Karen- Heyworth, Illinois
2009 CF32BL pulled by a 2011 RAM 2500 CTD 4x4
PullRite Superglide 18K hitch
2015stats:
Nights: 28
Miles: 3245
longhauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 02:38 PM   #9
Site Team

I have to say Thank You again for this info!!
A week ago yesterday I pulled the Honda out and did the work on the carb.
I just went out (8 days later) set the choke, turned Genny on, gave it one pull, and it was running. WALLA!! Just the way a Honda is suppose to start.
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 02:49 PM   #10
Seasonal Camper

One more tip, not sure if its true but has worked great so far.
After you turn the honda 2000's selector lever to the run position, Give the unit 2-3 very slow pulls. I was told this is like the priming bulbs and runs the fuel to the carb. Then they will almost always start on the full pull,,,,if not half a pull.
Old 07-21-2014, 04:57 PM   #11
Full Time Camper

I would also always add Stabil or whatever your favorite stabilizer is in it all the time. No more use than they get they are notorious for the carburetors gumming/varnishing up. Also a good idea to shut off fuel and let it die from fuel starvation when not going to be used for awhile. I am planning to get a propane conversion kit for mine.

Tim
13 ST25RB
08 F-250 SC 6.8L XLT 4x4
Tim D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 05:14 PM   #12
Site Team

I don't have a genny, but I use this to treat all the gas I get for my small engines. It neutralizes the ethanol. My John Deere dealer suggested it to me and I buy it at my local Lowes.

http://www.starbrite.com/category/st...n-small-engine

Most of us in the neighbor have been adding this to our small engine gas for the past year or so, and non have had any issues.

EAGLE HT FIFTH WHEEL | 30.5CKTS - '13 Ford F150 SCREW - PullRite Superslide - Roadmaster Active Suspension
Member - "Northeast Adventures RV Rally Group" & "Mason-Dixon Bunch"
mark5w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 08:29 PM   #13
Seasonal Camper

Tim D. "shut off fuel and let it die from fuel starvation when not going to be used for awhile."
The problem with the Honda 2000's is that you cant do this without adding a fuel shutoff valve. When you shut off these gennys, you shut the gas off at the same time as the ignition with a common switch. So you can't really run them out of gas.

I like the idea of the LP conversion, but since I want mine for more than the RV use, It wouldn't be practical to haul around the 20lb LP bottle.
Old 07-21-2014, 08:33 PM   #14
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnsunset View Post
The problem with the Honda 2000's is that you cant do this without adding a fuel shutoff valve. When you shut off these gennys, you shut the gas off at the same time as the ignition with a common switch. So you can't really run them out of gas.
If you close the vent on the fuel cap of Honda inverters, they should starve for fuel in short time.

2013 Silverado 2500HD LTZ CC 6.6L Duramax Diesel
2023 Rockwood 2445WS
Buster, miniature Dachshund
2023: 9 trips, 48 nights in 12 states, 2 provinces, 8120 miles
2022: 3 trips, 18 nights in 4 states, 2352 miles
2019: 7 trips, 43 nights in 6 states, 5336 miles
DavisK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 09:06 PM   #15
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnsunset View Post
I like the idea of the LP conversion, but since I want mine for more than the RV use, It wouldn't be practical to haul around the 20lb LP bottle.
This would be for my home generator for power outages. Still researching this. I also want to install a transfer switch and just plug in generator and go.

Tim
13 ST25RB
08 F-250 SC 6.8L XLT 4x4
Tim D is offline   Reply With Quote