Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-09-2018, 09:52 PM   #1
Seasonal Camper

Generator, what's a good buy, etc. necessary.

Our trailer is a 30 amp service. Kinda tossing the ideal of getting a generator for those times when no shore-power is available. We have a Dewalt 7000 for our house but its just to big and heavy to load, and very noisy... Now this is my thought is something that can stay in the back of the truck, that can fit under the box cover when traveling which is 20 inches high, then when needed just open the tailgate and the box cover when in use. So I have seen on this site before someone running 2 honda 2000 hooked in parallel or something like that, not sure who it was. Another thing I need some insight too is there are different types of generators, some are grounded, some not, or something along that line and need to know which is it that I need. So now I'm thinking at any time the max draw is the air conditioner, plus another fan, tv, and dc power converter, you know a good load at time, sometimes just the bathroom light or next to nothing. . I'm guessing again but maybe 4000 walts so need input and suggestions. Also quiet might be a important feature and how many watts should I need, and a reliable unit that you don't need to rob a bank to have around just incase it might have to work 10 hours a year.. Since I started writing this thread I came across the Westinghouse, fair reviews, and might be able to get down to that 20 inches by smaller wheel and looking at the rubber legs underneath,, https://www.westinghouseportablepowe...specifications
Old 09-09-2018, 11:12 PM   #2
Seasonal Camper

One other thing I should mention is I live in Canada, and I just found this brand Firman, reviews are respectable and claim quiet quiet, price is good, height-width-length-fits perfectly where I want it in the truck, and 4550 watts for $439 Canadian, delivered to the door, 30amp RV-ready, what am I not taking into consideration? I tell you some years back there use to be a brand called Champion that I use to see everywhere for very cheap and that is what scared me, until maybe a year or so ago I read some great reviews regarding that brand, so I'm thinking maybe these little gens are little gems as the reviews imply. https://www.homedepot.ca/en/home/p.p...001036056.html
Old 09-10-2018, 12:37 AM   #3
Seasonal Camper

I have a Champion 4000 watt peak generator I use for sewer pump backup in the house. I’ve needed it twice for that purpose but have used it quite a bit when operating my electric log splitter.
Canadian Tire carries them. This one didn’t come RV ready but I did buy the plug converter. They have a few different models/sizes and you see them on sale quite often.
660catman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 07:11 AM   #4
Full Time Camper

I use the two Honda 2000’s with a parallel kit. Each one is measured as follows: Dimensions (L x W x H): 20.2″ x 11.4″ x 16.7″ -Noise Level: 59 dB(A) @ rated load 53dB(A) @ 1/4 load -Dry Weight :45.6 lb. sounds like a good buy on the one you found but what is the noise level? To use mine with a surge protector I have to have a neutral/ground plug inserted into one of the outlets. I use my generators around the house and I like them because I can lift one at a time. Also when I have them hooked together with the parallel and I’m camping and just want to charge the batteries or run some outlets I can start either one and just run one; switching back and forth each day to save on gas. I’ve camped for two weeks like this and never had to fill with gas. They are a little expensive at around $1000.00 for each. But as the old saying goes: you get what you pay for.

*I have tried to live my life so that my family would love me and my friends would respect me. The others can do whatever the Hell they please!” —John Wayne
Papa-T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 07:49 AM   #5
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa-T View Post
I use the two Honda 2000’s with a parallel kit. Each one is measured as follows: Dimensions (L x W x H): 20.2″ x 11.4″ x 16.7″ -Noise Level: 59 dB(A) @ rated load 53dB(A) @ 1/4 load -Dry Weight :45.6 lb. sounds like a good buy on the one you found but what is the noise level? To use mine with a surge protector I have to have a neutral/ground plug inserted into one of the outlets. I use my generators around the house and I like them because I can lift one at a time. Also when I have them hooked together with the parallel and I’m camping and just want to charge the batteries or run some outlets I can start either one and just run one; switching back and forth each day to save on gas. I’ve camped for two weeks like this and never had to fill with gas. They are a little expensive at around $1000.00 for each. But as the old saying goes: you get what you pay for.

X2. Totally agree with Papa-T
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 08:25 AM   #6
Full Time Camper

The Firman your looking at shows 68 decibels but is 117 Lbs. Here’s an example of noise levels: Below we compare dBA levels to common sounds, giving you context to portable generator labels. As you’ll see, the lower the dBA; the quieter the noise is.

0 dBA — The hearing threshold
10 dBA — Normal breathing
20 dBA — Watch ticking
30 dBA — Quiet bedroom at night
60 dBA — Moderate rainfall
70 dBA — Hair dryer
75 dBA — Roof Pro 12,000
80 dBA — Police whistle
90 dBA — Lawn mower
110 dBA — Chain saw
120 dBA — Snowmobile
130 dBA — Jack hammer
150 dBA — Fireworks
160 dBA — Shotgun
180 dBA — Rocket launch

*I have tried to live my life so that my family would love me and my friends would respect me. The others can do whatever the Hell they please!” —John Wayne
Papa-T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 09:09 AM   #7
Seasonal Camper

Champion all the way. I've had a couple of them over the years.

I currently have the 3500w dual fuel inverter type. I run it on propane alot. Don't have to carry gasoline if I don't want too.

Love it!

Customer service is the best in the industry.

2020 Ram 2500 Bighorn 6.7 Diesel
2014 Zinger 27RL (Traded)
2022 Grand Design Reflection 315RLTS
markandkim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 06:50 PM   #8
Seasonal Camper

Canadian tire has the Champion 4000 watt one I bought for 399.00 on sale. Comes with 25’ cord with 3 outlets. They also have the 4450w RV ready one too for 399.99. Reg 649.99
660catman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 09:02 PM   #9
Weekend Camper

I bought the open frame champion 3500-4000 to use on my vacant 12 acre lot 3 years ago. It's open frame and kind of loud but works great. I paid 285 for it from farm and fleet and it included the wheel kit. Certainly wouldn't think to use it in a campground.

I had been eyeballing the champion 3100 inverter generator for a couple years but was waiting for a sale. Good for me they must be discontinuing this model and I snagged the last one from farm and fleet for 424 bucks a month ago. Runs great although when running the ac its louder than I thought it would be when not on eco mode. I had a few questions for the vendor and emailed them. They got back to me the same day. Lots of positive reviews on the generators and tech support.

I have heard good things on the firman brand as well, almost pulled the trigger on one of those before I scored the champion 3100.
4X4, 3.73 gears, 6.4 gas engine
xltjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 08:52 AM   #10
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by markandkim View Post
Champion all the way. I've had a couple of them over the years.

I currently have the 3500w dual fuel inverter type. I run it on propane alot. Don't have to carry gasoline if I don't want too.

Love it!

Customer service is the best in the industry.

X2 on the Champion,

I've had the inverter 3100 for about 5 years and it's been great and no issues. I will admit I purchased knowing the regional factory repair center is 20 min from you home thought. The biggest issue with portable generators are parts availability and repair locations if it has problems.

2017 Ford F350 Super Duty 6.7 King Ranch Crew
Sold the 2016 Crossroads Sunset Trail Grand Reserve 32BH
2020 Grand Design Momentum 320G
OhioMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 09:17 AM   #11
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioMark View Post
X2 on the Champion,

I've had the inverter 3100 for about 5 years and it's been great and no issues. I will admit I purchased knowing the regional factory repair center is 20 min from you home thought. The biggest issue with portable generators are parts availability and repair locations if it has problems.
That is another plus for the Honda. There is usually a repair facility/dealer within a reasonable range. I have one about 15 miles away.

Actually, there is two repair facilities for Honda that are within 15 miles. Farm and Fleet sells and services them also. They also sell the Coleman.

So anybody that is leaning towards either one of them should check them out. They use to have a sign that said "we service what we sell". I don't know for a fact that still holds true.
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 02:50 PM   #12
Seasonal Camper

Well Thanks to everyone for your genuine informative input, truly appreciated. After a lot of reading and trying to get a grip on our personnel and systems needs I have made a decision on the Champion Dual fuel #100396 (that's the Canadian model), which will never see gasoline, and because it's enclosed and a tad quieter (58dBA) compared to that of the open frame model #100371 @ (64dBA), also standard 3 years warranty which also somewhat speaks for itself, and still fits under the truck box cover, and the reviews and u-tube vids are incredibly positive. I haven't ordered one yet but thought I'd ask if anyone ever remembers if this brand happens to have an annual sale and if so about what time of year ??
Old 09-11-2018, 04:53 PM   #13
Full Time Camper

Bought mine in April. Around the holidays is probably a good bet.

Old 09-12-2018, 04:26 AM   #14
Seasonal Camper

Smart move.
You will love it.

2020 Ram 2500 Bighorn 6.7 Diesel
2014 Zinger 27RL (Traded)
2022 Grand Design Reflection 315RLTS
markandkim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 07:00 AM   #15
Full Time Camper

Jealous.

Love to have a dual fuel for dry camping

Often debated however I look at total cost of ownership and the champions are rated well.

Old 09-16-2018, 03:53 PM   #16
Weekend Camper

Send a message via AIM to Woody Send a message via MSN to Woody Send a message via Yahoo to Woody
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lloyd View Post
X2. Totally agree with Papa-T
I agree with Papa-T also, we dry camp in Smoky Mountains and use only one when needed and use both connected when necessary. The first Honda was purchased in
2004 and used for our out west trip then later added the second one. Carburetor maintenance is only upkeep we have had.

2006 Cruiser CF29RE (sold)

1996 F350 PSD Dully (sold)

Honda 2000i (2)
Woody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 06:01 PM   #17
New Camper

bought a champion 3100 rv ready with remote electric start from power equipment direct for 699 delivered on sale . i have a st280bh and it has 15,00btu ducted a/c it will start a/c as long as i have fan on first follow break in procedure and put it to work. i did 3 oil changes in break in 1 at 10 minute no load, 1 at 10 minute varied light load and 10 minute varied heavy load. when i get more hours on it then i will switch to synthetic. but i love my champion i can load my self it has handle and wheels and if im not nearby the wife can start it by remote
35chevypu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 11:32 AM   #18
New Camper

Hi aceallenk,

I too am interested in the 100396 model. I see Costco on-line has it for $1280. Do you see it going on sale or have you seen it priced lower elsewhere?

Thanks
jamiehorwood33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 05:41 PM   #19
Seasonal Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamiehorwood33 View Post
Hi aceallenk,

I too am interested in the 100396 model. I see Costco on-line has it for $1280. Do you see it going on sale or have you seen it priced lower elsewhere?

Thanks
I haven't seen the 100396 anywhere cheaper and your guess is as good as mine regarding a sale between now and spring !! But I'm going to wait and see as spring becomes a little closer to maybe spark a sale and a tad cheaper. Another fairly good deal right now in Canada at Canadian tire is the 100269 model at $1000 CAD. It's not dual fuel or electric start, no bells or whistles so to speak but 3400 watt and fits my needs perfectly also. Every U tube video I watched had excellent reviews and first pull starting, One concern that I read in regards with the dual fuel 100396 electric start was apparently that model has an electric choke and when the battery was dead that person experienced great difficulty trying to start his duel fuel because he had no choke while using the recoil, but that was only with one review. I haven't researched the mechanics of that model's choke or have a chance to visually look at that model but I have a hard time believing it's not manual solid pull choke rather than the mentioned electric fly by wire choke when you pull the choke. So at the end of my babble I think I'm just going to wait closer to spring to invest otherwise I also loose 8 months of warranty, and hopefully get a close look and get inside the shields to get another 2cents of satisfaction, but I am convinced that this 3400 watt brand is my little champ for our camper complete requirement needs.
Old 09-17-2018, 09:47 PM   #20
New Camper

Thanks for the reply bud. Your needs sound similar to mine (30ft 2016 ST270BH). Last question I have for you is what size AC do you have? Mine is 15,000 BTU and I’m a little concerned that the 3400W May struggled to get er going. Thanks again!

Jamie
jamiehorwood33 is offline   Reply With Quote