Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-13-2012, 02:02 AM   #1
Seasonal Camper

We are planning a summer vacation to Glacier National Park and have a couple of questions.
First, what's the best time of year to go?
Second, Where's the best place to stay on the west side?
We'd like to stay in the park but from what I've found on the internet I don't think our 30SK would fit in any of their campgrounds. Also it doesn't look like there are any hookups and we'd be staying for a couple of weeks.
Any ideas? Thanks!!

https://www.runnerduck.com/images/dev...andtrailer.jpg

KennyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 02:56 AM   #2
Full Time Camper

We made that trip in 08 and had a wonderful time. We did visited my sister in law in Vancouver WA on the way so we made the same route you will take. We stayed at Mountain Meadows in Hungry Horse. This campground is about 10 to 15 minutes to the gate on the west end of the park. I did talk to folks who were there for a day or two till they could get a site in the park. Once in the park I took the shuttle bus from west to east stopping along the way. We visited the park late July and since it was a very heavy winter there was still a lot of snow at the summit. It was such a change from one side of the park to the other. From the west the steep mountains and narrow roads to the flower meadows on the east. I found lots of stops to hike to the beautiful waterfalls not far of the roads. The shuttle bus makes stops every few miles. Have a great trip.

Old 03-13-2012, 03:22 AM   #3
Weekend Camper

I have heard good things about Mountain Meadow Rv Park but have not stayed there myself. Usually we stay in Forest Service Campgounds or boondock. If staying over a weekin RV park, best to check for weekly rates and make reservationsasap. Fills up fast.As to best time to go depends on what you want to do. After Going to the Sun road opens is what most people wait for. July thru August is a zoo naturally.
http://www.mmrvpark.com/
Brian
Old 03-13-2012, 04:39 AM   #4
Site Team

In my opinion, the best time to go is--before school is out for the summer, or after school starts in the fall. Like previously stated, it gets nuts out there!!
There use to be a KOA on the west side, don't know if it's there yet or not, but we thought it was very nice. If it isn't a KOA any more it more then likely is still running.

Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 04:55 AM   #5
Family Vacation Member

we stayed in" rocky mountain hi"a good sam park in kalispell,that was in sept of 2009,they closed "going to the sun road" for the season that year in early sept,so i would go a little earlier,( it was beautiful with the snow coming in)

Edited by: joescuba

2011 cf285rl patriot cruiser

07 dodge cummings
joescuba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 04:55 AM   #6
Full Time Camper

I second your opinion, Lloyd. We usually do two trips a year, the first starting in March (like this Friday ) thru the first week of June and the second starting the day after Labor Day and staying out for about six weeks depending on fall weather. The crowds aren't around and we've never had a problem finding a camp spot.We're fortunate that we have the flexibility. In the case of Glacier, I'd plan on September.

Breckenridge, CO
'08 Crossroads Sunset Trail ST30BH Traded
'21 Grand Design Reflection 31MB 5er
'22 Cougar 29RLI 5er
'23 RAM 2500 4X4 CTD
coastn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 07:28 AM   #7
Family Vacation Member

We stayed at Glacier Meadows of the South side last August. This was a good time ,the crowds had begin to thin. We really found most of the things we wanted to do on the east side of the park but You don't want to pull your rig over Rt 49. Check the reviews in RV park review. GS park with 50 amp pullthroughs,and pumping service every 3rd day. We liked it.
Old 03-14-2012, 10:38 AM   #8
Full Time Camper

We are planning to make the trip next summer - we will take our grandson so it will be July or August.

Mount Rushmore, Yellowstone, then Glacier and back home to NY. We have already been to the first two but it will be a great trip for our grandson.

I have been looking at all of the tips posted - thanks!

2012 Cruiser Patriot CF335SS.

2011 Silverado 3500HD LTZ CCLB Duramax SRW 4X4

https://i1193.photobucket.com/albums/...ailerKeuka.jpg
NorskeNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 12:59 PM   #9
Family Vacation Member

We pulled our old 28 foot TT up Rt49 to Pray Lake/Two Medican Lake no hook-ups but on a lake reflecting the mountain on the other side. There are few sites that you should fit into BUT I believe it's first come first served.

Generators 8-noon.

2006 GMC Duramax-Edge Evolution

2011 CT29RLX

Bikes,Canoe,toys,toys,toyz
we-canoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 07:42 AM   #10
Full Time Camper

Send a message via MSN to tator447

Norske,
My wife and I are also planning those same trips next summer. We too are thinking of taking 2 of our grandkids along to see the beauty of our nation. I am originally from Albany and my wife is from Stuyvesant...moved to WI 32 years ago...she retires next April and our plans are to travel as much as we can. If you'll be coming through this way and our schedule allows perhaps we will see you somewhere at one of the parks. If you have a schedule of where you'll be and when let us know if you'd like some company. If you're at the rally in Indiana this year look us up as we are planning on attending that too.

Jim & Linda Tator

Jim & Linda Tator
Watertown, WI
2013 Crusier CF34SS GMC 3500 8.1L Dually
154 nights in 2013 - 4,370 miles
178 nights in 2014 - 5,082 miles
365 nights in 2015 - 6,040 miles
tator447 is offline   Reply With Quote