Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-21-2010, 06:10 AM   #1
Family Vacation Member

I can get 4 ST225/75R/15 Goodyear 8ply for $475 out the door.They are suppose to be made in USA. How can you tell they are made in the US. I know Maxxis are a better tire but is there any thing wrong with Goodyear. I have had the TowMax on the 5th since 04 they are beging to crack on the sidewalls. I figure I should replace them now. Any advice would be helpful. I will see the tires tomorrow to see when they were made do they still give the week and year they were made. Thank you.

ThreePutt

'05 28CK

'03 Silverado 8.1 Allison Trans
ThreePutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 09:26 AM   #2
Family Vacation Member

I don't know if that is a good deal or not as I have not been tire shopping in a while. The tires will say right on them where they were made. And yes they still show the week and year made.

2007 CF30SK Cruiser

2006 Dodge 5.9 CTD,48e,4x4,QC

https://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t...CRUISER1-1.jpg
Ridgeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 09:55 AM   #3
Seasonal Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridgeman
I don't know if that is a good deal or not as I have not been tire shopping in a while. The tires will say right on them where they were made. And yes they still show the week and year made.
I just got some tires for a small boat trailer 570X8. What is interesting I can not tell for sure where they were made. On the tire it says Mold from USA. It did have the date code. (3009). Sorry I can not help on prices for larger tires.
rcflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 10:23 AM   #4
Family Vacation Member

"mold from USA" Now that is funny. I've never seen that one. I guess some tire companies will do anything to try to pull the wool over the buyers eyes. I suppose they think some folks will misread it thinking it says made in the USA. Sounds like something a Chinese tire company might try.

If I saw that on a tire I wouldn't buy those tires if they were almost free. Only because of the attempt at deception. I am not one who necessarily thinks all chinese tires are junk especially if they are manufactured to quality USA specs. I have some VERY expensive Toyo A/T tires on my truck that I got at Les Schaub that are made in China. They used to be made in Japan and I was surprized to see the made in China tag. But I can't complain they have been great tires.

2007 CF30SK Cruiser

2006 Dodge 5.9 CTD,48e,4x4,QC

https://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t...CRUISER1-1.jpg
Ridgeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 11:57 AM   #5
jeb
Family Vacation Member

Although I have had a couple of problems with the Mission tires, I think company which distributes these tires is more responsible than the manufacturer. If US distributors insisted on quality goods, and were prepared to pay for that, we would get quality merchandise.

That could also be the reason those Toyos made in China are working out well.

It's all about the Almighty Buck.

jeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 01:06 PM   #6
Seasonal Camper

Discount tire has Maxiis 225's E rated----80# if your wheels can handle it (stamped inside the rims, backside) 131.00 delivered. I believe the E's are 10 ply ? Please correct me if I'm incorrect. They have D's for 119 I think. Check them out.
Tom&Denice, Carmel,Betsy, Brighton&Daisy(Rescued Cockers)YukonXL 2500 8.1 4:10 CT31GR https://i276.photobucket.com/albums/k...ofP1010009.jpg
ClassicHammond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 01:25 PM   #7
Full Time Camper

Last Nov I put the Maxxis ST 225/75R15 E tires (#M8008) on and they were $85.00 each at Discount Tire. Mount, bal, steel stems, tax - out the door for $443.00. The aluminum rims can handle the 80psi IF you install steel stems (per manufacturer).

Stan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 01:12 AM   #8
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreePutt
I can get 4 ST225/75R/15 Goodyear 8ply for $475 out the door.They are suppose to be made in USA. How can you tell they are made in the US. I know Maxxis are a better tire but is there any thing wrong with Goodyear. I have had the TowMax on the 5th since 04 they are beging to crack on the sidewalls. I figure I should replace them now. Any advice would be helpful. I will see the tires tomorrow to see when they were made do they still give the week and year they were made. Thank you.

ThreePutt

I just hadinstalled Made in the USA Goodyears Marathons on my unit, cost $128 per tire, mounted and balanced. That was with shopping around. Some price where as high as$150 per tire.

As to tell where their made, it will stateCountry of Orginalong with date code on the sidewall.

'07 F250 Diesel Crew Cab 4x4

'08 CF30QB

Reese Signature Slider 18k Hitch
salda01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 06:44 AM   #9
Full Time Camper

another thing to check is the "made date". the dealer can tell you by the code on the tires....don't remember what it is, as I deal with my mechanic, whom I trust.
seabee is offline   Reply With Quote