Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-13-2020, 10:34 PM   #1
Weekend Camper

Google Chromcast ??? Can it work?

I use my Google Chromcast regularly around my house to cast videos to my TV's. I was assuming that's what I'd do in my RV but I'm realizing that I don't think that will work if I don't have a WIFI network.

What do you do to stream video to the TV without of school HDMI cords?
DOUGandNIKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2020, 05:01 PM   #2
Family Vacation Member

I have a Chrome-cast and Roku. I think you'll find the wifi provided by most campgrounds is either to slow or so overloaded you won't be happy with the service. We generally just access the local digital stations via the trailer antenna or sometimes connect to the campground cable TV if provided. The campground wifi works okay for connecting a computer or phone to surf the net but doesn't really support watching movies. At least, that's been our experience.
If you have unlimited data via your cell phone you can "hotspot" your phone to your Chrome-cast and send movies to your TV via your phone.

Dustin and Doris

2018 Crossroads, Sunset Trail 33CK,
38', 7600 lbs empty, 8300 lbs loaded.
2016 Tundra: 5.7L with towing package with added "Roadmaster Active Suspension"
toolman.dustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2020, 06:22 PM   #3
Weekend Camper

That all sounds like about what I was expecting. I'm a little bummed as life would be so easy that way! We're considering upgrading to the Wingard 2.0 TConnect to put an end to the whole random thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by toolman.dustin View Post
I have a Chrome-cast and Roku. I think you'll find the wifi provided by most campgrounds is either to slow or so overloaded you won't be happy with the service. We generally just access the local digital stations via the trailer antenna or sometimes connect to the campground cable TV if provided. The campground wifi works okay for connecting a computer or phone to surf the net but doesn't really support watching movies. At least, that's been our experience.
If you have unlimited data via your cell phone you can "hotspot" your phone to your Chrome-cast and send movies to your TV via your phone.
DOUGandNIKI is offline   Reply With Quote