Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-22-2010, 03:46 AM   #1
New Camper

I have a 2010 (used) 19' Zinger trailer. I don't have any manuals and nothing from Crossroads. Some stickers here and there. I've found some appliances' manual online, but one thing I haven't been able to figure out. Does anyone know ifI havea heater for the gray and black tanks for winter? Someone told me I probably have one and should look for the switch. I haven't been able to find any information online on Crossroads' website, and I haven't tried emailing either them or Thor. I appreciate any information you-all have!
Texas Zinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 03:50 AM   #2
Full Time Camper

Crossroads does not offer heated holding tanks that I am aware of. We are looking at new units and that is one of the things we want since we plan on full timing for a while after we retire in a couple of years. All you have is radiant heat from the heater duct running through the underbelly.
Hunter11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 07:15 AM   #3
New Camper

Thanks. I can stop hunting for the switch!
Old 06-22-2010, 08:24 AM   #4
Full Time Camper

Send a message via Yahoo to mwebber78
As insulation and construction techniques have improved you won't see many new units with actual dump tank and valves covered in heating pads. In fact, I consider that more a method to hide inferior construction/insulation values.

The Zinger is a entry level unit and thus has lower R-values. Moving up the chain most Crossroads have very high R-values and enclosed valves/plumbing. Does your unit have an enclosed underbelly? If not and your tanks are open to the air then heated pads will work for you and are easy to install (12v with a relay).

Good luck.
mwebber78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 07:55 PM   #5
New Camper

Thanks for the information on heating pads. Yes, the underbelly is enclosed. When the dealership gave me the walk-thru, I was told that there are six inches of insulation in the roof and in the floor but just one and one-half inches in the walls. They also said that so long as the unit was being lived-in (heated), the winter cold in central Texas wouldn't cause any freezing problems. I hope they're right!

Old 06-22-2010, 09:37 PM   #6
Full Time Camper

We have camped in temps in the high teens in Texas and we use our propane heater very little and have never had an issue with the holding tanks freezing up. I have had to wrap the fresh water hose in pipe insulation to keep it from freezing but that is it. It would have to get pretty cold for an extended period to freeze the tanks and that does not happen very often around here.
Hunter11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 11:20 PM   #7
New Camper

I see you're in Austin. I'm nearby in Wimberley where we see temperatures a bit lower, so I'll remember to wrap my fresh water line if we see 11 degrees again like last winter. Thanks for the heads-up!