Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-10-2019, 07:14 PM   #1
Weekend Camper

Heater, co2 alarm and twinkling lights.

I decided to try to light the heater today on my HCT32RL. First I tried it with gas off, not knowing it there was any electric heat capability, it shut off after about 2 minutes of blowing cold air. Turned on the gas bottles and tried again. This time some pretty good heat started blowing out, after 2-3 minutes, the CO2 alarm started beeping. I left the door open and noticed that the cabin lights were flickering. I turned off the heater and it stopped beeping about a minute later. Lights are fairly steady with an occasional flicker. Next I tried to open a slide, nothing, tried the other 2 slides, nothing. Checked fuses, all good, breakers all good. Turned off all lights, inverter went quiet, tried slides again and now they all work. Trailer has been on land power constantly. Is it possible my batteries are bad, and even though it is on land line (50amp), it needs good batteries to feed the inverter ? Might also explain alarm beeping if voltage is all messed up. Any ideas or pointers would be appreciated.
cwalther1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 03:40 PM   #2
Family Vacation Member

The “converter” makes reduces 110ac to make 12volts dc which your furnace fan and logic control board board will run on. It also charges your battery and runs your 12v lights. The fact that you lights dim while you run the fan would possibly mean the battery is not hooked up and the converter is trying to run both or you have a bad battery. The CO detector will go off initially if you haven’t fired the furnace in a long time. It may also go off if you have an exhaust vent problem.
Jeffur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 03:54 PM   #3
Weekend Camper

Thanks Jeffur, I will have the batteries tested and go from there. The batteries (2) are definitely hooked up. Will also run the A/C unit and see if the lights still go haywire. What about the slides, I assume they run off of 12v DC motors, otherwise you would have to have land power to open or close them. I think my batteries are weak, or the inverter is going bad. With 3 light sets on, the slides would not move at all, but when all lights are out, they worked properly.
Old 02-11-2019, 05:55 PM   #4
Full Time Camper

If it is the original battery than it is more than likely bad
Traveling with Rainbow the wonder dog and now with Sunshine the rescue Schnauzer.
fhenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 02:22 AM   #5
Family Vacation Member

The “converter” is not meant to drive open the slides. It likely only makes 10-15 amps DC. The battery is a reserve power source that can discharge up to 325amps for a short period of time which is more than enough to drive open a 12v slide motor. The converter than replenishes that lost charge over time. There are a number of other factors which also impact the integrity of delivery such as wire size, length of run, connections, etc. Start with a good battery.
Old 02-24-2019, 02:28 PM   #6
Weekend Camper

Batteries now replaced

New batteries installed. Some continued flicker at first, but now appears to have stabilized. Slides work good with lights on. Fired up furnace again, center vent blows hard, front bedroom blows good, rear vent barely blows at all. After 10 minutes or so, smoke alarm goes wild again. C02/propane alarm never went off. Possibly to much dust ? Will this ever clear up or do I need to have it serviced ?
Old 02-24-2019, 05:11 PM   #7
Family Vacation Member

Stay the course. The strength of the air flow is expected to be less the further it travels from its source. Run it till it burns off the dust.