Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-06-2013, 04:43 PM   #1
Family Vacation Member

heater in basement area

Hey everyone, Iam working in Oklahoma and got stranded here during the ice and snow storm. Its going to get to near zero here tonight and I bought a very small ceramic heater and put it in the basement area.
I was wondering if anyone could share some tips they have about staying in your RV in extremely cold weather.I have been doing this for several years but this may be the coldest night yet.
I use a pirit heated water hose and since I purchased the new model I have had no problems with it. Does anyone else have one of these?
Electrical system in my 305sk leaves alot to be desired when you want to run a couple space heaters.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 006.jpg (295.6 KB, 5 views)
Old 12-06-2013, 07:37 PM   #2
Full Time Camper

Concrete
I understand that the infrared heaters don't draw as much electric as other space heaters. It probably isn't much help to you at this point though.
2022 Alliance Avenue 32RLS

In God We Trust
A proud member of the one percent...Semper Fi
sleepyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 08:58 PM   #3
Full Time Camper

A heated mattress pad is absolutely wonderful. Most have a Preheat that is really nice when you jump in. After a cold day of working, it is so cozy.
2013 Zinger 30KB - Sold
CrossroadsRV Rally 2013 & 2014 - Northeast Crossroads Rally 2014 - Mason-Dixon Rally 2014
BODERRVING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 09:48 PM   #4
Full Time Camper

Is it the ceramics that only heat your body ?!? you want good old fashioned HEAT in your basement and I'd open the access doors from the basement to the under carriage in THIS cold !

May be too late for tonight (we are going down to 17 in dfw !)
but a well hung 200 watt bulb that CAN'T touch anything in the basement will do wonders...

and you DO want to run your furnace and just use electrical heaters as a supplemental - not worth frozen pipes and sewer to save a buck's worth of propane for this cold !

open all bathroom, closet, and cabinet doors to warm as much area as possible !
Old 12-07-2013, 07:20 AM   #5
Family Vacation Member

Iused a very small 750 watt heaterr and had it turned down very low and it was still 60 degrees in the baggage area this morning. nothing frozen in or out.
Old 12-07-2013, 08:10 AM   #6
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnboytoo View Post
...200 watt bulb that CAN'T touch anything in the basement will do wonders...
Now that brought back memories of trying to keep our car engines from freezing in CO when I lived there. No garage and it was COLD. But it worked!
2013 Zinger 30KB - Sold
CrossroadsRV Rally 2013 & 2014 - Northeast Crossroads Rally 2014 - Mason-Dixon Rally 2014
BODERRVING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 08:30 AM   #7
Full Time Camper

Had a four cyl English Ford in the 60's. Never started below 30 degrees so I missed a few early morning college classes. "Borrowed" my girlfriends sunlamp and never missed another class. There was an outlet in the garage we used not sure who paid that bill!
Reese 16K Slider Wet Bolts
socoguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 09:34 AM   #8
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by concreteman View Post
Hey everyone, Iam working in Oklahoma and got stranded here during the ice and snow storm. Its going to get to near zero here tonight and I bought a very small ceramic heater and put it in the basement area.
I was wondering if anyone could share some tips they have about staying in your RV in extremely cold weather.I have been doing this for several years but this may be the coldest night yet.
I use a pirit heated water hose and since I purchased the new model I have had no problems with it. Does anyone else have one of these?
Electrical system in my 305sk leaves a lot to be desired when you want to run a couple space heaters.
To say the electrical system leaves a lot to be desired is a gross understatement. From what I can tell every outlet in the living/kitchen area is on the same breaker. Found out by running a coffee pot and electric heater plugged into outlet over stove. No problem moved heater to outlet in slide, same thing. Outlets at the rear also on the same circuit. It's going to make me revisit my idea of a small electric fireplace under the TV.
2009 Ford Lariat F350 SRW CC Diesel
2013 Cruiser CF305SK Patriot Edition
avvidclif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 10:59 AM   #9
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by BODERRVING View Post
Now that brought back memories of trying to keep our car engines from freezing in CO when I lived there. No garage and it was COLD. But it worked!
Actually saw that first used when I went to work on construction jobs with my uncle during the college breaks....

first thing they would do on a new job site is take some 3/4 plywood and make a box about 1x1x2 or 2 feet.... put a few shelves in it and a 200 watt bulb in the bottom....

we'd bring FROZEN tv dinners to work @ 7 am and by noon they were piping hot

(why I'm going to change all my 5'ers bulbs to led before summer !!!)
Old 12-07-2013, 03:16 PM   #10
Seasonal Camper

I just run a 12 ga. extension cord through the kitchen slide seal just before fully open and plug it into the 20 amp recepticle on the post. I use this to run one heater than run another off the trailer circuits. Keeps from throwing the breakers in the trailer.

Viet Nam Vet 70-71 Da Nang

Real airplanes have two wings and big, round, engines
BipeFlier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 10:06 AM   #11
Family Vacation Member

Clif,

I hear you! I would think that it wouldnt be very hard to split the outlets in the living area into 2 breakers. I guess that they dont intend for anyone to really use their camper.
I did run a cord from the pedestal inside the baggage for that heater, because the baggage area outlet is on the same breaker with the bathroom and bedroom!
Old 12-11-2013, 11:13 AM   #12
Weekend Camper

My Crossroads Washington is wired for washer/dryer with two separare plugs. I use these outlets to run electric heaters with extension cords.
mickeynbranson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 07:10 AM   #13
New Camper

We had an electrician put a small weather proof breaker box under our bumper on our Paradise Point 36RL that goes to new outlets in the RV - one 15-amp breaker per outlet. One GFI outlet near the bathroom sink (hair dryer) or heater at night), one under the dining table (heater or electric convection oven), One near the stove (another heater.) It plugs into the 35-amp source at the post. Before doing this, with electric heaters running, we were having to turn off heaters to make toast, brew coffee... Also my wife seemed to always pop the breaker with her hair dryer.
jRivoire is offline   Reply With Quote