Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-07-2010, 03:11 PM   #1
Weekend Camper

We are out on our first trip with th new 33lf and we have no 12 volt power!

All of the shore power items (microwave, tv, etc) work fine but everything 12volt is dead, including the furnace.

The battery must be dead and not charging because we have been here for a few hours now and plugged in the whole time.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Where are all of the fuses that would prevent battery recharge?

2009 Duramax 2500HD CC
jyoung2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 03:25 PM   #2
Weekend Camper

When plugged in, all 12v items are powered by the converter. The converter is usually located near or behind the fuse panel and is plugged into a 110v outlet on the fuse panel itself. Check to make sure it isn't unplugged and that the fuses on the converter itself are good and that a circuit breaker hasn't tripped.

I have a CrossTerrain so not sure its the same, but onmy trailer the fuse panel is located near the floor just inside the entry door. The converter can be accessed inside the curb side basement compartment on the left. I need to remove a panel to access it. It's behind the fuse panel itself and is plugged into the 110v outlet on it.Edited by: TF36DSMatt
TF36DSMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 04:01 PM   #3
Weekend Camper

Success, thanks so much. Both 40a fuses were blown.

Thank-you!!!!!!!!

2009 Duramax 2500HD CC
Old 05-07-2010, 04:38 PM   #4
Family Vacation Member

It's odd that both 40 amp fuses were blown. was the battery connected when shore power was connected? If you are blowing main fuses before you start you have a potential problem that needs to be rectified. What else was going on when the fuses blew? There was apparently too much load somewhere that created the fuses to blow. Did yopu do a PDI with your dealer?? That should have been caught before it left their yard.

'06 F-250 SD V-10

SCT custom tuned

https://i785.photobucket.com/albums/y...a/SDC12617.jpg
ryeja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 11:06 PM   #5
Full Time Camper

I know that this sounds silly, but check the polarity of the connections to your battery. If the polarity is reversed, there is the possibility that the charging circuit is acting like a dead short across the battery and blowing the fuses. It's almost a sure thing that your 40A fuses are going to blow again. On the the trailer, the Black cable is the Positive lead and the White cable is the Negative lead.
2006 Cruiser CF30SK
Hamops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 01:14 AM   #6
Full Time Camper

Send a message via Yahoo to mwebber78
I was thinking the same thing, someone mis-connected the -/+ terminals on the battery which dead ended the converter and popped the fuses.
mwebber78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 01:27 AM   #7
Seasonal Camper

Speaking of 40 amp fuses, I like to carry spare everything but could not find the 40's.

ny ideas?
Tom&Denice, Carmel,Betsy, Brighton&Daisy(Rescued Cockers)YukonXL 2500 8.1 4:10 CT31GR https://i276.photobucket.com/albums/k...ofP1010009.jpg
ClassicHammond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 01:47 AM   #8
Seasonal Camper

Napa, Camper store. I would think just about any auto parts store would have them. If not I bet Napa could order them for you.
gtoguy1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 05:09 AM   #9
Weekend Camper

I suspect that the fuses were already blown when we picked up the trailer from the dealer and during the walkthrough were were using battery power only even thought he trailer was plugged in. This was the first time we really used the trailer and the battery only lasted for a couple of hours.

After I replaced the fuses they lasted until we went home the next night and still look fine.

I suspect that someone initially hooked up the battery incorrectly when the initial istall was done.

I foundmore 40A automotive fuses at a gas station near the campground (I used up my only 2 spares replacing them the first time) so now I have 4 extra's. They sure do seem to be uncommon though, the only 40's I can normally find are the large ones. I'm sure glad our last trailer used them, because that's the only reason I even had any spares to begin with.

2009 Duramax 2500HD CC
Old 05-10-2010, 05:11 AM   #10
Weekend Camper

There was a note in the converter manual and on the back of the converter that the fuses are supposed to blow if the battery is hooked up backwards, so that's why I think that is what happened.

2009 Duramax 2500HD CC
Old 05-10-2010, 05:22 AM   #11
Family Vacation Member

Send a message via Yahoo to csham
been there, done that (switched the cables), blown the fuses on a previous TT. I did find replacements at an auto parts store and added them to my "parts" box. But I thought mine were 50 AMP. Guess I better check on that.

Samantha (8/97), Tara (6/03), Erica (1/07)

2008 Dodge Ram 1500

2007 Sunset Trail ST30BH

https://i180.photobucket.com/albums/x...H-campsite.jpg
csham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 06:00 AM   #12
Weekend Camper

One other thing I also noticed this weekend was that thelength of the 5th wheel sure does make it had to get into most camp spots.

We camped at Mount Kidd RV park in Kananaskis this weekend and I selected an 85' spot, I figured no problem, truck is ~20ft long, trailer is ~35' long past the rear of the truck, sum is 55'. Apparantly site length has little to nothing to do with width. After a bit of maneuvring I discovered that my first 'pull through' site was very cramped and then it took me over an hour to get back out.

The spot we stayed in was a 'pull through' also, and I pulled in very easily, had room to open all the slides, it was great. Until it came time to leave.

After trying for 1/2 hour to pull out in the forward direction it was becoming clear it was not going to happen, so I straightened out and backed out the way I came in (which was actually pretty easy).

Imay benew to the 5th wheel experience and definately have to practise my backing up skills but there is no way that some of the sites are meant to fit a large RV. And these units don't turn very sharply (even with the slider hitch), just because the truck and 1st 10' of the unit make it around the corner does not mean the back 20' will even come close.

It's always good to try out the new RV in the off season so you don't hold up the rest of the traffic when you get stuck!

2009 Duramax 2500HD CC
Old 05-10-2010, 06:12 AM   #13
Family Vacation Member

Glad to hear you got through the weekend unscathed. I've seen guys in the past tear their awnings off, had to help one guy couple of years ago got his Coach stuck under some branches. He was unable to back up or go forward without doing damage. We convinced the campground management to cut this particular limb of the tree off so he could continue on.

I've found most campgrounds in Alberta, particularly Provincial Parks to be a tight fit. Wait till you go to Fairmont. Make sure when reserving there you explain the length of your unit including tow vehicle, 2 years ago the put us in a 35' spot, great, the trailer just fit but the truck had to sit along side of the road.

'06 F-250 SD V-10

SCT custom tuned

https://i785.photobucket.com/albums/y...a/SDC12617.jpg
ryeja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 08:54 AM   #14
Full Time Camper

Send a message via Yahoo to mwebber78
I think as you get more comfortable with the trailer you will gain confidence in the ability to squeeze out of a spot. I can back my Cruiser off the main road into my yard opening which is 20' with no issues, and that's with people flipping me off and honking.

The biggest help is my wife, she is my eyes and ears outside when I move this rig. I DON'T move this camper in a tight area or when backing in without her. Communication is via 2-way radio's.
mwebber78 is offline   Reply With Quote