Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-22-2010, 12:02 PM   #1
Weekend Camper

Hi all,

I have a 2009 Zinger Z25RK. Here in New England the weather is starting to make us get into "prep mode" for camping. Doing a walk around of the trailer this week I noticed that three of the four original Duro tires have cracks in the sidewalls. One is so bad that I would not consider going anywhere with it.

I bought this trailer new last year, and I probably towed about 800 miles total with it last season. I checked the tire pressure every time I went anywhere, as well as every month when parked. The tires were not exposed to direct sunlight.

I figure I should contact Crossroads, but if they replace them with the same crap that I have now will I only be going through this again next year? It looks like about $400 or so to get Goodyear Marathons installed, but I find that most of the reviews I have read do not recommend those tires either.

So my questions are:
Has anyone ever gotten Crossroads to kick in toward the cost of new tires, or more specifically, better tires?
And, what would anyone out there recommend for a brand or model of tire?

Thanks for any help or opinions! Dave

and Charlie the Wonder Dog

Western Mass

2009 Zinger 25RK

2005 Toyota 4Runner V8
de4nier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 12:22 PM   #2
Seasonal Camper

Dave, It might just be worth $800 to call and ask, CrossRoads has always been there for most people on issues like this. I would be a little upset if I were in your shoes.
gtoguy1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 06:28 AM   #3
Full Time Camper

I would make the call. I got 5 free tires for my 5er. this was 3 years ago they had a big recall.
cwit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 08:52 AM   #4
Weekend Camper

I called Crossroads today, and they gave me the number to call for Duro tires, who will have to handle the warranty. I contacted them, and the guy I spoke with is sending me a claims form. I will need to fill it out with DOT numbers, serial numbers, etc, send it back along with pictures, and a copy of my bill of sale for the trailer.

They will then determine if I would get any replacements, (their warranty is one year but I was told they may still cover it). If they do cover it, they will ship me the tires via UPS. I will be responsible for getting them swapped out, as well as any costs associated with that.

I went to my local (reputable) tire shop at lunch today. He sells and recommends "Tow-Max" tires, and has them in stock. He says that he has sold literally hundreds of them, and has had very few complaints. He quoted me $85 per tire, mounted, if I bring in the wheels. He will add another $20 per tire if I drop off the trailer. He also will balance them for an additional $10 per tire.

Now I will send in the stuff to Duro, they promised a quick response. I will need to find out how much to have tires mounted and balanced if I supply the tires. I am still a little bit leary about exchanging bad tires to Duro for another set..I really do not want this to be a yearly thing.

However...our first big trip is Memorial Day, and I need to have things resolved a few weeks prior to that so we can get all geared up for the season.

It's really too bad.....the tires are the difference between having a travel trailer verses having a cabin in the back yard, it would seem that somebody could make a decent product, especially when you consider the safety factor!

I will post again as the saga continues. Thanks! Dave

Western Mass

2009 Zinger 25RK

2005 Toyota 4Runner V8
Old 04-23-2010, 09:08 AM   #5
Seasonal Camper

Dave, Just an idea but you were going to put the tires on any way, Do it, use the camper. When you get the new tires put them on Craigs list, The listing is free you have the tires you want and will get some of your money back.

Don't forget who's idea this was and send a little this way. Just don't mail it, I still don't have a mail box
gtoguy1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 12:31 AM   #6
Family Vacation Member

I would highly recommend you stay away from Tow-Max tires.. I replaced all four of mine last year after two blow outs. I think you will find a lot of information on RV.net on Tow-Max tires.

Duncan & Chelsea (Scotty Dogs)

Williamsburg, VA

2009 Dodge 3500 DRW QC 6.7L

2007 PP PF36SK (Rolling Fun II)
Virginia RVers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 12:48 AM   #7
Seasonal Camper

I went thru the same thing last year with Tow-Max, they are just junk, and you'll get another set of junk when and if they repalce them, I just scrapped them all and replaced mine with LT tires, remember it's cheaper and easier to replace them form home than to be stuck on the side of the road in the middle of nowhere...the peace of mind was well worth the expense...........

2004 Ford F-350 CC dually 4X4
mbinohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 05:17 AM   #8
Seasonal Camper

I have to be pushing 15,000 on my Towmax, just did 2000 to NC over Easter. Am going back in Julywith a side trip to the Outer Banks. I'm sure the hotter weather will be tougher on the tires. Wanted to change before this last trip but.......you know how it goes. I am mixed between Maxiis at 130 each and XPS, but they're almost 300 a pop...not to mention the price of a new set of wheels (where can I buy wheels ?). After mounting and balancing I'm looking at 2 grand. The maxiis are under 600. Wish I had the disposable income, but I want to retire in 5 years, with a new 5er and a MDT.I heard nothing but positive about the Maxiis. I know I'd get twice the miles with LT's but............any opinions (I bet there are)
Tom&Denice, Carmel,Betsy, Brighton&Daisy(Rescued Cockers)YukonXL 2500 8.1 4:10 CT31GR https://i276.photobucket.com/albums/k...ofP1010009.jpg
ClassicHammond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 05:23 AM   #9
Full Time Camper

This post is timely... I started going and calling around yesterday for tires for my Cruiser. And here's what I was told.
GY "ST" Marathons are still made in China

No matter what tire you go with your going to have sidewall cracking issues, because the tire isn't given the opportunity to flex enough and heating up with use and cooling down keep the sidewalls pliable.

LT tires could give you more sway as the sidewalls aren't as thick and LT tires don't come in 225/75/15 as needed on the Cruiser.

So that leaves me scratching my head on how can I find the following?
USA made Marathons
or LT tires that will work.

On a side note to De4neir -> I had the same issues with my Duros on my previous R-Vision trailer. I was able to stay away from working with Duro, by standing my ground and working with R-Vision on how didn't trust them. R-Vision settled with giving me a check for $360 to go get my own tires. Good luck.

'07 F250 Diesel Crew Cab 4x4

'08 CF30QB

Reese Signature Slider 18k Hitch
salda01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 06:30 AM   #10
Site Team

[QUOTE=salda01]This post is timely... I started going and calling around yesterday for tires for my Cruiser. And here's what I was told.
GY "ST" Marathons are still made in China

I had a post on tires about a month ago. I had just put 5 new Goodyear Marathons on the Cruiser.
My tires state right on the sidewall MADE IN USA!!!!!!!
Plus they were built the first part of 2010.
If your dealers are telling you they can't get USA made Marathons, they're full of s--t.
The tire has to have a build date on the side, or it more then likely is Chinese.

Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 06:44 AM   #11
Full Time Camper

I was told michlein tire made 15" lt tires in d's and E's. I'm with you want a new tire perfer an made in USA.
Old 04-25-2010, 02:21 AM   #12
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Farmer

I had a post on tires about a month ago. I had just put 5 new Goodyear Marathons on the Cruiser.
My tires state right on the sidewall MADE IN USA!!!!!!!
Plus they were built the first part of 2010.
If your dealers are telling you they can't get USA made Marathons, they're full of s--t.
The tire has to have a build date on the side, or it more then likely is Chinese.

Thanks Old Farmer... I remember reading that and even probed every tire dealer I spoke with. I did get the best price from a Goodyear Service Center at $124.69 ea out door installed. However, he too was insisting ST are made over seas. Obviously, the dealers haven't seen them yet, or just haven't noticed.

I'm gonna shoot an email to Goodyear Corp. Customer service and hear what they come back with on when production resumed here in the states. Also every retailer I spoke with insisted that the tires won't be more than 6 mos. old. Maybe I need to tighten in my mfg. date to no longer than 3 mos.
_popupControl();

'07 F250 Diesel Crew Cab 4x4

'08 CF30QB

Reese Signature Slider 18k Hitch
salda01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 03:22 AM   #13
Weekend Camper

In searching around, I found this site:

http://www.lvtrailerol.com/custompage.asp?pg=wheelsandtires

I found the TowMax, mounted on new wheels, for $95 each. I think would be a lot easier to get these (depending on shipping cost) and have them balanced here, then install them one at a time, rather than jack up the whole trailer on blocks and removing all 4 wheels at once to bring them to a tire shop. Plus I will have extra wheels, if I do get replacements I could have them mounted on the original rims.

They also have GY Marathons, a few dollars more. I intend to call them tomorrow, to see if they are already in stock, and the manufacture date on the tire, and also to see if they are stamped "made in USA". If they are, I will probably go with the Marathons.

Heres a question, though.... would it be worthwhile considering going up a size to 215's rather that 205's on the width? they have a few more pounds capacity....or even better, maybe go up to 15"? My bolt pattern appears to be 5 hole 4.50" on center, I will need to verify that the new wheels have the same spacing, but I wonder if I could get that pattern on 15" wheels, the tires will have that much more load capacity.

I looked into maybe LT tires, but in my warranty info it states that that is not recommended. My primary concern, of course, is safety. I have been reading so many horror stories about tire blowouts that I will be a nervous wreck pulling this thing down the road!

Dave

Western Mass

2009 Zinger 25RK

2005 Toyota 4Runner V8
Old 04-25-2010, 04:49 AM   #14
Site Team

Here is a pic showing--- MADE IN USA Maybe you should show this to your dealer.
">

Here is another pic showing the raised S inside of a raised circle. These are the new tires. If they don't have it, there not the new ones.
By the way, my dealer took my missions in on trade.

">

Old 04-25-2010, 06:34 AM   #15
Full Time Camper

Nice pictures Old Farmer.
Old 04-25-2010, 10:38 AM   #16
Seasonal Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by de4nier

In searching around, I found this site:

http://www.lvtrailerol.com/custompage.asp?pg=wheelsandtires

I found the TowMax, mounted on new wheels, for $95 each. I think would be a lot easier to get these (depending on shipping cost) and have them balanced here, then install them one at a time, rather than jack up the whole trailer on blocks and removing all 4 wheels at once to bring them to a tire shop. Plus I will have extra wheels, if I do get replacements I could have them mounted on the original rims.

They also have GY Marathons, a few dollars more. I intend to call them tomorrow, to see if they are already in stock, and the manufacture date on the tire, and also to see if they are stamped "made in USA". If they are, I will probably go with the Marathons.

Heres a question, though.... would it be worthwhile considering going up a size to 215's rather that 205's on the width? they have a few more pounds capacity....or even better, maybe go up to 15"? My bolt pattern appears to be 5 hole 4.50" on center, I will need to verify that the new wheels have the same spacing, but I wonder if I could get that pattern on 15" wheels, the tires will have that much more load capacity.

I looked into maybe LT tires, but in my warranty info it states that that is not recommended. My primary concern, of course, is safety. I have been reading so many horror stories about tire blowouts that I will be a nervous wreck pulling this thing down the road!

Dave

You mentioned earliet that you were also looking for new wheels. I got my new wheels from Discount tire and got 7 spoke rims for the TT. The price was really good as they matched the price for rims off ebay. They did have to order them, and I took them a picture of the rims I wanted and they found them and ordered them for the same price as I found on ebay. The ebay auction is here: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/4-15-...Q5fAccessories

Im really happy with the way these look on the TT. they look great and have the capacity that I needed.Edited by: fixit5561

2003 Lincoln Navigator Ultimate Edition 4X4

2004 Crossroads Cruiser CT30RL
fixit5561 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 11:08 AM   #17
Weekend Camper

Thanks, that will be a great reference! Now I know that I can swap to 15" wheels if I choose. I haven't heard of the tires in the Ebay ad. I will probably contact Discount tire also. My first trip is planned for Memorial day so I need everything finished up by then.

Dave

Western Mass

2009 Zinger 25RK

2005 Toyota 4Runner V8
Old 04-25-2010, 01:00 PM   #18
Seasonal Camper

I just looked for a minute on ebay and found them rims. The guy that I got mine from offered center caps and lugnuts with his auction. I told this also to Discount tire and they matched his offer and gave me the center caps and the Chrome lug nuts with the rims for the price of around $360.00. What was nice about the lugnut set from Discount is that they areChrome lugnuts andhave the set of locking lugnuts too for you. They were the Gorilla set I remember that from the box they came in.

So go into Discount and tell them about the auction and Im sure that they will match the auction Buy It Now price for you. Bring in a picture of the rims with you too.

If I remember correctly the rims were made by Sendel or something like that, I cant remember their exact name but think that maybe it.

Edited by: fixit5561

2003 Lincoln Navigator Ultimate Edition 4X4

2004 Crossroads Cruiser CT30RL
fixit5561 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 10:14 PM   #19
Seasonal Camper

If Goodyear put their name on junk Chinese tires....can we trust them to change standards for American made tires? They've only been around (as per other sites as well) a short time and I'm a bit leery with my "Precious Cruiser" no offense Farmer. But has anyone had any extended mileage with these American Goodyears? I am hesitant regarding LT's due to sidewall demands....but....the large high price 5ers are using them. What LTs besides xps ribs are you guys running out there?
Tom&Denice, Carmel,Betsy, Brighton&Daisy(Rescued Cockers)YukonXL 2500 8.1 4:10 CT31GR https://i276.photobucket.com/albums/k...ofP1010009.jpg
ClassicHammond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 11:44 PM   #20
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClassicHammond
If Goodyear put their name on junk Chinese tires....can we trust them to change standards for American made tires? They've only been around (as per other sites as well) a short time and I'm a bit leery with my "Precious Cruiser" no offense Farmer. But has anyone had any extended mileage with these American Goodyears? I am hesitant regarding LT's due to sidewall demands....but....the large high price 5ers are using them. What LTs besides xps ribs are you guys running out there?
I'm not telling anyone they should buy Goodyear------ I'm just proving the point that they "do" make them in the USA now.
There isn't much you can buy now days that isn't made in China.
At least you should be able to find a Goodyear dealer if you unfortunately find a need for one when on the road.