Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-17-2017, 09:04 AM   #1
New Camper

Help or Advice on wiring of rear Stabilizer Jack

I sure would appreciate some help from you fine folks with advice/knowledge of the following. I know this is long, but please bear with me so you understand my question. I have a 2012 Sunset Trail Reserve ST29RL12 and replaced a bad (intermittently working) rear stabilizer motor. (It has the wireless remote option). I had thought it might be the manual switch at first since sometimes the motor worked a bit and sometimes not at all. 1) I removed the motor, and it was bad/going out with bench testing. I also removed the manual switch by the motor and after testing with an ohmmeter and plugging it into the front jack wiring harness, I found that it was worked fine though still old. I had cut the wires actually at the original switch plug as I went ahead and bought what was sold to me as a replacement switch but while it has the same colored wiring, it seems not to work quite the same. (its a different style, installed, It didn't work- possibly for the same reason the old one isn't?).
So I hooked up the old harness connector the way it was, and the blue and yellow wires are both hot both into and out of the switch. The black ground wire of the switch is good. I installed the new motor... hooked it up and nada, nothing. Again, I tested the new motor and it is fine (used a spare battery to test up and down)
Back to the drawing board. It seemed to be a simple plug and play approach would work. I'm missing something.
Where do the wires that leave the switch to go into the undercarriage go.... before they return to the motor? There must be something going on there perhaps? Thoughts and ideas? (And how does the module associated with that remote control work???)
Textrout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 08:43 AM   #2
New Camper

The fix for the rear stabilizer jack with remote control

Ok, I'll answer my own question: I researched how the remote worked though info is sketchy, but found the board for the multi-function remote control (controls the front/rear stabilizers, awning, outdoor lights, etc.). The name brand of the board is Alta. Below is a pic of it, and it is mounted on a wall in the sink cabinet. Simple fix as both 20 amp fuses were blown. Replace and voila! I can't tell you the hours I spent on this trying to locate the problem only to find such a simple answer. Hope this helps someone else speed things up if they have a problem.
Textrout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 08:51 AM   #3
Full Time Camper

I know no one was able to assist you but I wanted to let you know that we all appreciate you posting the results and solution to your issue. Often times people ask questions and disappear so we never get to hear what did and did-not work. Your response WILL help someone else one day. Thanks....
Stan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rear stabilizer motor, stabiljack