Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-04-2014, 08:54 PM   #1
New Camper

HELP - Rubber roof damage

OK so I'm fairly new to RV'ing. We just bought a 2015 33FR BH about a month ago. Only been out in it twice to State Parks here in Texas. Well, a 70 to 90 MPH straight wind storm came through Dallas Ft. Worth on Thursday wreaking havoc and blowing everything down.

A large branch blew into my roof nicking it in a couple of spots. These are very little cuts in the rubber roof membrane on the top leading edge (could probably fit a dime in the small cut and a nickel or quarter in the larger one). I'm sure they are patchable but this is a brand new TT.

Insurance adjuster is coming out on Tuesday and my question is, should I insist on a full replacement roof? I don't doubt that it is patchable and would be waterproof. But to be brand new on a 12 year warrantied roof where the patch job would be visible from the ground may affect the value??

Thoughts? What would you guys do?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg roof4.jpg (345.4 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg roof3.jpg (80.2 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg roof2.jpg (77.5 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg roof.jpg (99.0 KB, 6 views)

2015 Hill Country HCT33FR
2014 Ford F150 EcoBoost
papaking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 08:57 PM   #2
Site Team

Demand a new roof. YOur rv is only a month old.

EAGLE HT FIFTH WHEEL | 30.5CKTS - '13 Ford F150 SCREW - PullRite Superslide - Roadmaster Active Suspension
Member - "Northeast Adventures RV Rally Group" & "Mason-Dixon Bunch"
mark5w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 05:00 AM   #3
Weekend Camper

X2 What Mark said!! If you patch every little cut with either eterna bond or actual rubber roof patch material it is going to look like a bunch of band aids on your skin. You will look up at it everytime you are near the trailer and say YUK! Suspect you would have to pay your comp deductible (usually $500 or $1000) to get a complete roof replacement but to me that would be worth it to restore the new look to your rig. I had a similar situation and mine was repaired with 8" wide rubber roof material over a 10' length section of roof and it is acceptable but my trailer was 3 years old. It cost me about $500 to have it done on site and the guys did a great job. My only issue with the repair is that the roof was 3 years in the elements and the repair is brand new so there is a shading difference but I'll get over it. Good luck and make your insurer do what you are paying the premium for.

Bruce
bandb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 10:50 AM   #4
Full Time Camper

x2

New roof. You'll have to look at the patch job forever if you let the insurer have their way with this.

2017 Ford F350 Super Duty 6.7 King Ranch Crew
Sold the 2016 Crossroads Sunset Trail Grand Reserve 32BH
2020 Grand Design Momentum 320G
OhioMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 12:35 PM   #5
Weekend Camper

I don't think that's covered under Manufacturer Warranty, That's Act Of God stuff in Insurance speak, But never hurts to try, Secondary Insurance would probably cover it, with paying the deductable.( raising your rates?)
Old 10-05-2014, 07:22 PM   #6
Full Time Camper

I hope you get it...but will be surprised if you get a complete new roof.

Tim
13 ST25RB
08 F-250 SC 6.8L XLT 4x4
Tim D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 08:20 PM   #7
Full Time Camper

If it were on top, I would recommend you patch it, but with it being visible, you'll be sick every time you look at it if you don't go ahead and replace it. I would have it patched until the shop can get to it, though, to prevent any moisture infiltration and to keep you camping while you wait. Mine had similar damage from a February storm and it took the shop until mid May to get done with it.
Valley 16K slider
Ride-Rite air bags
mike06081969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 04:09 PM   #8
Full Time Camper

My argument to the insurance company would be that 1)You don't know if there is any structural damage without removing the roof and 2)they are not experts in estimating RV repairs.

2017 Ford F350 Super Duty 6.7 King Ranch Crew
Sold the 2016 Crossroads Sunset Trail Grand Reserve 32BH
2020 Grand Design Momentum 320G
OhioMark is offline   Reply With Quote