Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-23-2020, 09:36 PM   #1
Weekend Camper

Help with inverter

Hi,

I will fall on my sword here and say I was going to be one of those new owners who know nothing about 5th wheels or RVs who studied and studied and read everything I could and had assembled what I thought what was a good pre-buy checklist. The dealer (in central CA) was great for about the first hour and half of my 12 page checklist but then started pushing me to hurry and we need to move this to get other units in the delivery spots etc.

SO longer story short (and yes to my detriment), I allowed them to hurry me and skip thru some things. So I found 4 minor things they fixed and was on my way to start driving to northern OR. I reserved a campground close by so I could stay in it and check more things out before I got too far away. It had been a 14 hour day by the time I got to the campground to set up for the first time. Fortunately I had done my homework and had managed to gather pretty much everything I needed for my first trip and stay but it was all still new and I was exhausted so I didnt do anymore checks.

The one thing I skipped over and didnt think about more until later when I tried my first dry camping night was the inverter. Turns out the ONLY thing that I can power up on batteries are the LED ceiling lights and electric water heater and pump. No outlets or appliances or even TVs work. In the owners packet I have a manual for a Freedom X Sine Wave Inverter, but I cannot find it anywhere. Looking through the manual, it seems that it may not be turned on in the auto switching mode. I called the dealer and they said that yes, it has one installed but the couldnt tell me where it is physically located. Ive checked all outlets and none are powered on battery only.

Ive called Crossroads and of course they are closed due to the virus.

So my question is, does anyone know where it is, if it may be faulty or any sort of tips or advice. Ive checked all fuses and CB's. All are intact or in. Im semi-competent with electricity and following wiring diagrams, but as Ive learned the owners manuals for these are much to be desired for specific details. Ive also pulled off the panels in the basement and looked everywhere under there and in the battery compartment. Nothing. It seems to me it should be somewhat readily accessible as it has two 120V plug ins on it?

Appreciate any help for a new guy.

Thanks for reading,
Tim
Old 04-24-2020, 06:52 AM   #2
Family Vacation Member

It can be installed anywhere. look in storage areas close to batteries. There should be large battery cable running to it.
Look for a master switch on the cable to start with. Then find the inverter.

All lights will be running off 12v system. So inverter is not involved.
It would be silly that the inverter would power on the hot water heater. I think the light comes on through the 12v system.
Airborne Elite Sidewinder pin, Maxx air 7500 Fan
2015 GMC LTZ,6.2 Gas, Short Box, Firestone F3 air ride.
Bilstein Shocks
Miniozzy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2020, 04:09 PM   #3
Weekend Camper

Thanks. Yes I’ve looked very thoroughly through the battery compartment. There’s not much in there outside the batteries and hydraulic pump for the levelers. The positive cable goes to the battery shut off and then up into the floor under the bedroom.

I’ve pulled off panels that I can with searching both in and outside and no luck.
Old 04-24-2020, 06:05 PM   #4
Family Vacation Member

the cable size will give it away. If the cables are under 1/2 to 3/4 inch diameter. then there should never be an inverter. Unless its small.
-most rv's that I know of use black and white wires for supplying the 12 dc side.

If you have red and black then chances are someone may have installed an inverter. But like I said size of wire should be what your looking for. Largest will go to an inverter.
Bilstein Shocks
Old 04-24-2020, 06:15 PM   #5
Family Vacation Member

Sorry just read that this is a new unit. Or at least darn near.
The cables will be fairly large. But if there is a factory installed inverter. Look close to the electrical panel. Or possibly a breaker panel in the battery compartment. It should have its own disconnect switch or a large 200-300amp fuse.
If you find any of these you will be close.

It being new the darn thing should have a remote on/off switch.
Bilstein Shocks
Old 04-24-2020, 07:09 PM   #6
Weekend Camper

Thank you. I will look again at the panel. I’m positive there is nothing like a breaker or fuse in the battery compartment. The cables are about 1/2”. The positive cable goes to the disconnect switch then up into the floor and I am unable to find where it goes from there. I may get under the non storage pet of the bed. That’s about the location it heads for and see if I can find it there. All the advertising states it comes with a 1200 Watt inverter. I’m hoping they open soon after this stops

Thanks again for the help
Attached Images
File Type: jpg A4B5E495-897A-4901-ABE6-DD8C31E4F58B.jpg (116.3 KB, 21 views)
TKCameo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2020, 08:53 PM   #7
Family Vacation Member

1200 watt isn't that big. Might be lucky and it will run a coffee pot.
I would check on outlets close to kitchen. You might only have 1 or 2 plugs that could be labelled inverter.

ie: locations you might use a laptop. Charge cell phones. Like I said the inverter definitely won't run the water heater. water heater is 10-14amp at 120 volts. (14X120=1,680watt)

Xantrex is a good inverter so that might be normal which might give it another 800 watt peak surge. (or it might be the 1000w with peak 1200w).
There is a display on the top of it so it might be mounted in closet. I can't believe they wouldn't put a remote panel somewhere. Should say Xantrex on it.
Bilstein Shocks
Old 04-24-2020, 10:56 PM   #8
Weekend Camper

It says "with residential refer". 1200W is just about the right size for a point of use inverter to run a single appliance like that.

Look under/behind/around your fridge.
backcountrycamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2020, 02:44 PM   #9
Family Vacation Member

Absolutely right! I missed that, I guess I should wear the glasses. That inverter is sized just big enough to run the fridge.
Bilstein Shocks
Old 04-25-2020, 05:33 PM   #10
Family Vacation Member

If I look at the amp/hour draw for a residential refrigerator at normal operation in 75 deg. F conditions, I found this result - 2.392 kwh in 24 hours.

A battery rated for 100 amp hours will provide 5 amps for 20 hours.
If we have a 12 volt battery, we multiply 100 by 12 and determine that the battery will provide 1200 watt hours.
To apply the metric ‘kilo’ prefix, we divide the result by 1000 and determine that the battery can supply the 1.2 kwh.
There is also something else to keep in mind. The Amp Hour rating is a 20 Hour rating, therefore it is necessary to treat any kilowatt conversion you make as a 20 hour rating as well.
In the case of our 1200 Watt Hour conversion, we need to understand that what is really being said is that the battery will provide 60 Watt Hours for 20 Hours.

This said, it appears that running a refrigerator alone with two 100 amp hour batteries will provide adequate power for less than 1 day if you use no other power.
Reese Weight Dist. w/friction sway control
jmnsn57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2020, 08:59 PM   #11
Weekend Camper

Thanks everyone for your input. Ill be out there tomorrow and taking it out for a four day trip and will start looking around more.

Tim
Old 04-30-2020, 04:30 PM   #12
New Camper

Maybe behind the breaker panel

I have to unscrew the breaker panel and move it out of the way to get my inverter which is stuffed back in a small space under the oven.
emoore is offline   Reply With Quote