Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-10-2021, 08:32 PM   #1
Weekend Camper

Hole in sidewall

Taking my new trailer in for warranty tomorrow for the slide leaking. While walking around I notice a crack with a screw tip poking through the sidewall. Not sure how this happened. Trailer is brand new and only 2 weeks old. I’m completely at wits end with all the issues I’ve had on it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 9035540F-7D0C-49D0-8024-5909C441A817.jpg (90.2 KB, 49 views)
Zeroprotocol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2021, 06:25 AM   #2
Site Team

I will be real interested as to how your dealer and Thor handles this. Please keep us informed.

PS
You might check your warranty also. I have heard Thor only allows 10 days after taking delivery for defects at delivery.
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2021, 06:52 AM   #3
Weekend Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lloyd View Post
I will be real interested as to how your dealer and Thor handles this. Please keep us informed.

PS
You might check your warranty also. I have heard Thor only allows 10 days after taking delivery for defects at delivery.
Does Thor manufacture the sunset trails? I know it has the 3 year structural warranty. I’m going to push for a new trailer though. There is no way they are fixing this and the slide leak by our first trip out. Plus there was mold from the leak and both my kids have asthma.
Old 05-11-2021, 07:40 AM   #4
Weekend Camper

Regardless if it is a trailer or anything else, this definitely isn't a buy new and have peace of mind backed by warranty kind of experience.

Are you able to identify what the screw that is causing the hole holds on the other side? I sure hope it isn't some dealer installed accessory - that would be a nightmare of responsibility pushing.

Considering the backlog at the manufacturers and shortages popping everywhere,\ if you play for replacement expect you'll more than likely need to be very flexible with your model and options or you may not be able to camp this year.
Old 05-11-2021, 08:19 AM   #5
Site Team

Just curious what is on the other side of the hole/screw? Yes THOR is the parent company. They have MANY different brands and those brands have different sub brands. Thor - Keystone - Crossroads - Sunset Trail. Hopefully they find what the cause is and fix it.
dagst1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2021, 12:13 PM   #6
Weekend Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by dagst1 View Post
Just curious what is on the other side of the hole/screw? Yes THOR is the parent company. They have MANY different brands and those brands have different sub brands. Thor - Keystone - Crossroads - Sunset Trail. Hopefully they find what the cause is and fix it.
Took it in and replacement trailer is a no go. Not sure what the screw it from. Could be when they attached the roof to the wall and went at an angle. For now they are fixing the leak immediately and looking into the what is causing the hole and how to handle that. Also they are replacing my antenna that had the hole in it.

Told them my first trip is June 4th and that I need it back in working order a few days before that.
Old 05-16-2021, 08:06 PM   #7
Family Vacation Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeroprotocol View Post
Does Thor manufacture the sunset trails? I know it has the 3 year structural warranty. I’m going to push for a new trailer though. There is no way they are fixing this and the slide leak by our first trip out. Plus there was mold from the leak and both my kids have asthma.
Guessing this repair should be extremely easy w/ clear or white epoxy injected, then remove screw and all should close and be permanently water proof, never to be seen again if proper length screw reinstalled?
TerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2021, 09:38 AM   #8
Weekend Camper

Spoke to the dealer yesterday and both the slide leak and screw hole have been fixed. They are even covering the antenna under warranty. I pick it up tomorrow.

I’ll find out the extent of the repairs tomorrow. I do know that they have water tested for leaks
Old 05-26-2021, 11:33 AM   #9
Site Team

That sure sounds good. Thanks for reporting back, and let us know the "rest of the story".
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2021, 01:05 PM   #10
Weekend Camper

I'd be curious to find out more details. What was the screw for/what was it holding? How did they fix it? Did they back it up, cut? How deep is it now (hopefully it isn't just covered with a 1/32 layer of putty)?

I assume you are getting warranty on the work they are performing but if I was you I'd made sure to have it in written.
Old 05-27-2021, 07:29 PM   #11
Weekend Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by ugauga View Post
I'd be curious to find out more details. What was the screw for/what was it holding? How did they fix it? Did they back it up, cut? How deep is it now (hopefully it isn't just covered with a 1/32 layer of putty)?

I assume you are getting warranty on the work they are performing but if I was you I'd made sure to have it in written.
I have it all in writing. They said screw was driven in at an angle when they installed the roof. They grinded off the tip of the screw and made everything flush like there was nothing there. Overall they did an excellent job.

They also found that the slide was leaking in the top corner. They did the repair and water tested it twice for 2 hours each and there were no leaks. Looks like they have sealed everywhere where water could possibly get in.

We are supposed to get rain tomorrow so we will see how it holds up. Overall I am happy with what they did. I spoke to the tech personally and he explained everything in detail.
Old 05-27-2021, 07:33 PM   #12
Site Team

Sounds like a good outcome. Thanks for posting the resolution.
dagst1 is offline   Reply With Quote