Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-23-2012, 05:16 AM   #1
Weekend Camper

I have a 2011 sunset trail. This is second season. First season Hot water heater worked fine with gas or electric. Today decided to double check everything before we leave on a trip next week. The water heater will not start with gas. It clicks, lights up for a few seconds then goes out. The other gas appliances are working fine. The water heater works fine with electric. Any ideas?
wader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 06:33 AM   #2
Full Time Camper

You may have air in the gas line. When I have had my tanks turned off for awhile I generally turn on the tanks then light a range burner for several seconds. Then whenI turn water heater on it still takes several failures and resets before it lights and stays on. This seems to be somewhat normal.
2010 CF30SK Patriot
2007 CF30SK
dalemac377 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 07:33 AM   #3
Full Time Camper

Are your bypass valves in the normal position and not the winterize position?

Art and Karen
2013 Itasca Sunstar 35F, 2013 Ford C Max toad.
170 nights in 2013
132 in 2014
artgpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 07:34 AM   #4
Full Time Camper

It sounds like a dirty ignitor or a spark gap that is to wide.
cwit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 10:09 PM   #5
Full Time Camper

If you are getting a flame for a few seconds then the ignition system appears to be ok. It almost sounds like your gas solenoid valve is acting up. I had a similar problem and I had to replace it. I went online and got the manual and parts list. I followed the suggested troubleshooting guide, which in my opinionis very poor and it didn't really guide me to the gas SV. I decidedthat theorifice on theSV might be plugged so Itook it off, inspected it, and found it to beclean. Then I performed avery risky manouver.Usinganother12volt source, I energised the SV with the orifice still removed. When the valve operated, I expected to smell propane,but I no gas was comingout. I bought a newsoleniod valve (a 100+ bucks), installed and repeated my previous test and the gas was flowing. I put everything back together and the WH has worked ever since.

So after all that I said, it might be a good idea to have look at the gas SV by first checking to orifice and then the SV. By the way, when you energise the SV, it will make a clicking sound which is normal, but it doesn't necessarily mean that SV is open to pass the gas to the orifice.
2006 Cruiser CF30SK
Hamops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 11:17 PM   #6
Full Time Camper

Also, check for bugs in the orfice section section.

Edited by: seabee
seabee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 11:46 PM   #7
Weekend Camper

Hamops decribed exactly what's happening. It'll flame up for a few seconds then goes out. I will check the orifice for any obstructions. Just the other day I had to drive my father inlaw to the doctor to have his orifice checked for obstructions.
wader is offline   Reply With Quote