Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-02-2022, 06:07 PM   #1
Site Team

Hot water heater

Just check my hot water heater for our trip next week. Forgot to drain it after last trip in May. To say that it has an odor is an understatement. Sooo, filled water tank with a tablespoon of pool chlorine, filled it and ran all the faucets to soak overnight. Rinsed and finally the odor is gone.

Does everyone empty the water heater and H20 tank after a camping trip?
If not, how long do you leave them full?

EAGLE HT FIFTH WHEEL | 30.5CKTS - '13 Ford F150 SCREW - PullRite Superslide - Roadmaster Active Suspension
Member - "Northeast Adventures RV Rally Group" & "Mason-Dixon Bunch"
mark5w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2022, 06:43 PM   #2
Site Team

I have always emptied water heater and fresh tank after each trip. For exactly the reason you just experienced. It's to easy to get side tracked and forget.
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2022, 06:46 PM   #3
Weekend Camper

Mark, the only time I drain mine is when I winterize. In spring I sanitize the whole system. I do use the trailer every couple weeks in the summer though which flushes things out. Haven’t noticed any smells. If I did I would certainly drain and sanitize as you have. The fresh water tank does get drained every time.
4X4, 3.73 gears, 6.4 gas engine
xltjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2022, 04:31 PM   #4
Site Team

If we are going to use in the next weekend than no but if not the water heater and fresh tank and filter gets drained. Been there done that so we drain. After you flush with the chlorine and than flush that add a box of baking soda to the fresh water tank than fill it up then run thru everything let it sit over night then flush it out. it will help remove any orders and "sweeten" the lines.
dagst1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2022, 07:11 PM   #5
Full Time Camper

I empty water tank and heater after each trip.

*I have tried to live my life so that my family would love me and my friends would respect me. The others can do whatever the Hell they please!” —John Wayne
Papa-T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2022, 03:37 PM   #6
Family Vacation Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark5w View Post
Just check my hot water heater for our trip next week. Forgot to drain it after last trip in May. To say that it has an odor is an understatement. Sooo, filled water tank with a tablespoon of pool chlorine, filled it and ran all the faucets to soak overnight. Rinsed and finally the odor is gone.

Does everyone empty the water heater and H20 tank after a camping trip?
If not, how long do you leave them full?
ALWAYS empty all tanks, fresh water, water heater, black and gray. Never know what hiccups life will bring forward prior to the next trip
egrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2022, 06:46 PM   #7
Wit
Weekend Camper

It is easy to forget so I put a reminder in my phone to empty the day after we get home. That gives the hot water a chance to cool off.
Wit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2022, 09:56 PM   #8
Weekend Camper

It never even entered my mind to empty the water heater other than when winterizing, but it is a simple process and I plan to start this as a routine if the camper will sit for some time. My camper set idle for about 9 months recently, so it had been emptied when winterized this past winter. The bathroom faucet was flowing properly, initially the kitchen sink was flowing fine then it suddenly stopped flowing. When it comes to plumbing I am jinxed, then before I made the problem bigger than it was I thought maybe I should unscrew the aerator on the faucet and it was stopped up with what looked like corrosion from the heater elements or water sediments. Cleaned that and all was fine. Just a tidbit of experience for others.