Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-04-2010, 04:14 AM   #1
New Camper

I recently purchased a 2005 30' Zinger and I'm having problems getting the hot water heater lit. Iv'e been told it could possibly be the thermocouple at the heater (which recognizes a flame & opens the gas valve). I have held a lighter on the thermocouple for 5 minutes & see that it is glowing red, but still no gas flow...At that time, I have gone into the camper & lit all 4 burners on the stove top just to prove I have gas flowing through the lines, but

still no flow at the heater...I'm planning on taking my daughter hunting this weekend, and without hot water, there will be no showers for us this weekend...PLEASE HELP!!

Does this sound like a thermocouple problem or am I missing something...

P.S. the camper has a switch inside for "gas" and one for "electric" for the water heater...

after 5 seconds the red light appears when I turn the "gas" switch on...the operating manual tells me to turn it off & wait 3 minutes & try again...well after an hour of this with no luck, I gave up... The electric igniter is also not working...it is suppose to re-light the heater

each time the heater kicks on, but no tick-tick-tick is coming from the igniter, could this possibly be a part of my problem. Thanks.
Old 10-04-2010, 05:57 AM   #2
Family Vacation Member

Could you have a bad battery ? When we had a weak battery, the refridgerator would not switch back and forth correctly from electric to propane.

<DIV id=ms__id42>

<DIV id=ms__id43>Also, for the hot water heater, do you get any "sputtering" of flame from the end of gas nozzle ? Maybe the end is plugged ?

2004.5 Chevy Duramax crew cab 4x4
2010 Crossroads Cruiser 30QBX
1991 K2500 4x4 being restored
drcook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 07:47 AM   #3
Full Time Camper

Try cleaning contacts on all wires on heater. there is a brown wire with what looks like a resistor on it take that part out and see if this helps. You can try sanding end of thermocupal lightly with steelwool.
cwit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 07:50 AM   #4
Full Time Camper

I would not leave the ressistor wire off for ever but it got me through my problem untill I could replace it.
cwit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 11:30 AM   #5
Weekend Camper

if its electronic ign. there probably is a flame rod not a thermocouple if its not clicking the sparker is probably cone or a bad connection worst case the circut board.
Greg Morin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 11:40 AM   #6
Weekend Camper

Check for webs, or bugs in the gas lines from valve to heater. A very small amount will stop gas flow.......Also there is a overtemp sensor that may be open and you could bypass to see if it will light and if it does go get one and dont run it long without the safety
Robbie Ribbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 01:10 AM   #7
New Camper

Thanks to everyone who replied...I will take all feedback into consideration when I arrive at the camp on Friday with a meter to check for power at the circuit panel first, then I'll check on the sparker &amp; thermocouple as well as check for debris inside the gas line...Thanks again fellow campers!!!
Old 10-07-2010, 08:29 AM   #8
jeb
Family Vacation Member

If both gas and electric sides are not operation, it's probably not something like a restricted orfice.

Were you on 120V when you tried the electric mode? I know that sounds stupid but stranger things have happened.

2008 Chevy 2500 with Duramax/Allison

1 wife

3 cats

and a family of racoons.
jeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 11:23 AM   #9
Full Time Camper

If it won't heat on electric as well as gas then you will really have to check the over temp and circut board.

Chrisnan23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 12:01 PM   #10
Weekend Camper

Same thing happened to our 2009 Cruiser. The main control board was gone. I had checked everything as has been suggested above. Then took it to an RV shop and they came to the same conclusion. A new board was ordered, installed and we had hot water. I sent the bill to the Crossroads Dealer we bought the unit from. ( they are 6 hours from us)
They covered this under warranty

trac5 is offline   Reply With Quote