Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-09-2012, 08:03 AM   #1
New Camper

Does anyone know how cold can you camp with a Corssroad Zinger? I know it has the bottom cover for insulation but still wonder what temperature is to low and could freeze the pipes.
Old 12-09-2012, 08:24 AM   #2
Full Time Camper

I have camped in the 30's with it and been ok. I might be worried if you are in extended temps below freezing with it.

2014 Chevy Silverado 3500 SRW Duramax
2011 Zinger ZT26BL-sold
2014 Sabre 34REQS

***Member of the Mason-Dixon Group***
anaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 11:18 AM   #3
New Camper

I live in my 2012 27RL year round due to my job. Last winter I experienced temps down to near 0 for several days at a time with no real problems. But I learned a few things.
1. Spend the money to buy a heated water hose.
2. Do not use a water filter between your city water and the trailer ( the only thing I had freeze).
3. Electric heaters are great, but you must run the furnace. Your heat ducts run under the floor, so by running the furnace, you heat the underbelly that keeps the pipes thawed.
4. during extreme cold, I leave the cabinet doors open in the kitchen and bathroom to keep pipes warm.
5. put vent cushions in the overhead vents.
Hope these tips help, I'm sure others' will have more tips.

Lubbock Texas
Lamarswan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 11:28 PM   #4
Full Time Camper

First, in freezing weather, it is always best to use the fresh water tank and 12v pump in case the CG water supply freezes up at night. Second, if the drain valves are enclosed, then you can leave them closed. But if they are exposed, then leave them open, even the black valve.

We have been in our fiver with temps in the 20s for several days w/o problems. And that is when using electric heaters rather than the furnace. In fact on my last Cruiser, I sealed the furnace duct to the basement. In my opinion, the amount of heat supplied to the basement via the heating duct is insufficient to prevent freezing. "Insulation" used in the basement is usually Reflectix foil, it doesn't really insulate, but reflects heat and is located below the tanks. Meanwhile the I-beams conduct lots of heat out of the basement and have significant holes in them for the slide outs mechanisms. The basement heat duct is located near the center of the trailer and provides little heat around the perimeter of the basement to offset heat loss at the I-beams. With a strong norther, it will have no benefit on the upwind side of the trailer. The tanks are not likely to freeze, they are either empty or in the case of the fresh water tank, carrying lots of water. What is most likely to freeze is the fresh water pickup tube, it is small in diameter, right up against the I-beam and many times located in the back corner of the trailer, far away from the basement heat duct.

If freeze protection is critical, then electrically heated tanks and lines is really a much better answer.

Texas Baptist Men-Retiree Builders member since '01
13 Silverado 3500HD D/A, 2wd CCSB srw, custom RKI bed
11 Cruiser CF32MK
https://www.picturetrail.com/dayle1
Dayle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 08:03 AM   #5
New Camper

Thanks everyone.