Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-04-2016, 07:02 AM   #1
Weekend Camper

How long before a trip can I sanitize/how often during the season

So we are setting to dewinterize our trailer. We know the procedure to drain and sanitize the system and have gotten great tips just reading through older threads. My question is how long can the trailer sit after being dewinterized/sanitized. Our first trip isn't until Memorial Day weekend, but we have the time this week to inspect the entire trailer and sanitize the water system. Should it be good to go on our trip in a few weeks or should we wait until closer to the trip to sanitize? We won't be filling the tanks while it is sitting.

As a note, we are located in Colorado. Current weather is pretty chilly at night and about 60s during the day. The sun can warm everything up pretty well during the day making it feel warmer.

We do a trip about once/twice a month during the season. Do we need to sanitize before every trip?

Thanks for all the help, this is our first trailer that we use the water system. We had a popup previously and felt the water system was useless for our needs, so just left it "permanently" winterized.
COCamping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 07:23 AM   #2
Full Time Camper

I just did mine last weekend and will not need it till july. only do it to get pink smell out of lines. Plus we do not drink the tank water. we bring a 5 gal blue jug and fill up at campground then brita filter for drinking.

It was a rainy few days at Algonquin Prov park...tarps kept us dry.
Wayne --Belle River (Windsor), Ontario
2013 Sunset Trail Reserve 25RB..(just sold it)
2015 White Chev Silverado 2500HD 4x4 (6.0 l gasser)
2003 Mountain Star 890SBRX Truck Camper
harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 08:43 AM   #3
Full Time Camper

When I live in So. Cal I would sanitize my water system before the first outing of the year. At that time we would take monthly trips for a few days at a time and one extended trip during the summer. So I would drain the tank between trips, Since we stayed at campgrounds with full hook ups there were not much water in the tank just enough to take care of us during the transit. But now I live in Washington and with using the pink stuff it sure is a learning experience.