Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   CrossRoads RV Family Forum > CrossRoads | Tech > General RV Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 01-16-2022, 09:43 AM   #1
New Camper

How to access propane inlet on furnace on a 2018 Sunset Trail 289QB

hi everyone,

Every time I run the furnace on this camper, there is no issue or smell inside, but the exhaust outsides smells pretty strong of burning off propane. This isn't the typical smell that burns off after an hour of being new or not being used for a year.

I have ran my furnace overnight and I still smell the same thing at the exhaust. I put my hand close to the exhaust and then smelled my hand and it was a pretty strong smell of propane.

Also FWIW i have a table a few feet below the exhaust and it gets a small amount of 'soot' on it..

My guess/hope is that the propane line into the heater/furnace isn't completely tight so I want to try this first. The camper has an Extreme Weather package so the bottom is covered by that 'cardboard' type material. No issue removing it if i have to.

Does anyone know where the propane line comes into the furnace, is it inside behind the air intake, or do i need to remove the exhaust for example?

thank you!
Attachment 5222Attachment 5223Attachment 5224
DancingBull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2022, 10:16 AM   #2
Site Team

You will need to access the connection from inside under the refrigerator thru the return vent.
dagst1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2022, 10:38 AM   #3
New Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by dagst1 View Post
You will need to access the connection from inside under the refrigerator thru the return vent.
Thank you! Do you know if its pretty straightforward or will I need to disassemble anything to het to it? Just curious as the simplest of camper fixes usually take me a lot longer than anticipated. Thanks again!
DancingBull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2022, 05:37 PM   #4
Weekend Camper

I believe that instead of a loose connection leaking raw propane, you have an improperly adjusted burner. I suspect that the odour you are smelling and the soot on the table are a result of incomplete combustion. There is always a slight odour from burning propane but should never be any soot. Likely needs a slight adjustment of the air inlet collar. Should probably have a burner mechanic look at it and adjust it properly. It is also creating both excessive CO2 and CO both of which are dangerous.
Baldeagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2022, 08:59 AM   #5
Weekend Camper

Soot implies that your furnace is carboned up. It is producing carbon monoxide. This is usually caused by improper mixture due to dirty burner or blocked air intake .
Have a licences gas fitter look at it. Go to your dealer ship.
Winterpegger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2022, 12:47 AM   #6
Family Vacation Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DancingBull View Post
hi everyone,

Every time I run the furnace on this camper, there is no issue or smell inside, but the exhaust outsides smells pretty strong of burning off propane. This isn't the typical smell that burns off after an hour of being new or not being used for a year.

I have ran my furnace overnight and I still smell the same thing at the exhaust. I put my hand close to the exhaust and then smelled my hand and it was a pretty strong smell of propane.

Also FWIW i have a table a few feet below the exhaust and it gets a small amount of 'soot' on it..

My guess/hope is that the propane line into the heater/furnace isn't completely tight so I want to try this first. The camper has an Extreme Weather package so the bottom is covered by that 'cardboard' type material. No issue removing it if i have to.

Does anyone know where the propane line comes into the furnace, is it inside behind the air intake, or do i need to remove the exhaust for example?

thank you!
Attachment 5222Attachment 5223Attachment 5224
I suspect more likely you have a small obstruction (most common is mud dauber or spider nest) in the air tube to the burner, causing it to run rich on mixture, but also quite possible LP regulator pressure too High (above 11" water column) Many times you can look into the tubes from outside with flashlight (furnace= OFF) and see the mud nest? If stove top burners seem a little high, or LP Refrig operation seems off, maybe go to regulator first?
GOOD LUCK
TerryH is offline   Reply With Quote