Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-25-2010, 07:56 AM   #1
Full Time Camper

I wonder if you installed fenders from a flat bed trailer under the fiber glass fenders if the would be enough to stop the damage from tire blow outs?????

Traveling with Rainbow the wonder dog and now with Sunshine the rescue Schnauzer.
fhenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 09:27 AM   #2
Seasonal Camper

I doubt it as I see them torn and bent all to heck all the time also. Might help cut down some of the inside damage, but the fender skirts are still trash.

Viet Nam Vet 70-71 Da Nang

Real airplanes have two wings and big, round, engines
BipeFlier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 09:35 AM   #3
Family Vacation Member

Therre is a company called Tyron that makes a band that is installed inside the rim that is supposed to stop the tire from exploding and prevent collateral damage. I think that it is a little spendy 900.00 for a set of four. They have a website that explains the system.

CF33LF PROVINCIAL EDITION
SWAILES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 03:52 AM   #4
Full Time Camper

I doubt that fenders that you mentioned will have any affect. I hadblowout when a shockmount let loose and caught the tire. The tire was tore up and ended up wrapping itself around the wheel hub and one piece of the tire whipped around and smashed trim. Here's a picture of what happened.

2006 Cruiser CF30SK
Hamops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 05:00 AM   #5
jeb
Family Vacation Member

You're not going to stop damage to the "skirts" but there's no reason why there cannot be some system to protect the floor of the trailer and the associated parts above it.

Whether a trailer fender would do that is, IMO, debatable. I don't think it would help much since it would also become a possible missile when the tire lets loose.

You won't be able to keep the tire from wrapping around the axle or getting into the "skirt" but protecting the floor of the trailer should be easy and inexpensive.

Simply welding a steel plate to the frame above the tires (maybe 1/8" or 1/4") should keep the tire from getting into the floor. It won't protect the skirts or the axle but it would protect the floor.

Not much weight and it wouldn't reduce clearance by much.

Edited by: jeb

2008 Chevy 2500 with Duramax/Allison

1 wife

3 cats

and a family of racoons.
jeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 05:28 AM   #6
Full Time Camper

I think that if we can contain the damage to just the trim that would be a plus if the wireing gas lines floor slid mech can be saved

Traveling with Rainbow the wonder dog and now with Sunshine the rescue Schnauzer.
fhenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 06:00 AM   #7
Full Time Camper

I feel like if I keep good tires on the trailer and keep the air pressure checked before each trip and use the TPMS that is about all I can do. I guess if something beyond that happens and tears up the trailerI will call my insurance company.
Hunter11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 07:04 AM   #8
Family Vacation Member

How about installing a section of chain link fencing above the tires to protect the floor? It would be a lot lighter than steel plate and a lot easier to install than metal fender skirts.

2012 Cruiser CF325CKP

2010 Ford F-350 6.4 SB 4wd

W0CSC

Semper Fi 59-63
calliopeguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 07:31 AM   #9
Seasonal Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter11
I feel like if I keep good tires on the trailer and keep the air pressure checked before each trip and use the TPMS that is about all I can do. I guess if something beyond that happens and tears up the trailerI will call my insurance company.
X2 I believe the sooner you can stop a trailer after a tire failure is the best we can do. My hope is my TPMS will notify me of a problem before the tire completely comes apart like the one in an earlier post. This last weekend my nephew had a tire failure on a double axle boat trailer. He did not know he had a problem until he stopped to get a hamburger. He had no idea how long he had gone with a tire that was completely shredded. In his case no serious damage. But travel trailers there is usually some extensive damage.
rcflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 09:03 AM   #10
jeb
Family Vacation Member

When the failure is due to tread separation, I don't think there is time between the blow and the damage. The air pressure will, more than likely, be up to snuff until the tread goes so there won't be any warning from a TPMS.

I've had a couple of Mission Will Pops go BANG and there was absolutely no warning. The air pressure was up where it should be and the axle was not overloaded. It (the gone tire) didn't flop around for any time at all before the rubber (and steel cord) had already done its worst.

The best one can do is keep the weight down to below max for the tire and keep the pressure up where it's supposed to be. Oh...one can invest in good tires also. Other than that, minimizing the damage is all one can do.

2008 Chevy 2500 with Duramax/Allison

1 wife

3 cats

and a family of racoons.
jeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 09:41 AM   #11
Seasonal Camper

Also to addone can keep their speed down under the rated speed that the tire can safely handle.

You hear of these guys that brag or say they are doing 70-75mph on the highway then ten posts later they are complaining about tires blowing out. Doesnt take a rocket sicentist to figure that one out. Edited by: fixit5561

2003 Lincoln Navigator Ultimate Edition 4X4

2004 Crossroads Cruiser CT30RL
fixit5561 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 03:28 AM   #12
Family Vacation Member

Not looking at the tires (trailer is stored), BUT most standard car tires are rated for 115 MPH thats why car/truck computers are set to 97 MPH top speed UNLESS the car comes with higher rated tires (Z) from the factory.

2006 GMC Duramax-Edge Evolution

2011 CT29RLX

Bikes,Canoe,toys,toys,toyz
we-canoe is offline   Reply With Quote