Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-16-2013, 03:31 AM   #1
Family Vacation Member

Read the post on surge protectors and looking at getting a fixed one. I have a 305SKP and where the cable comes in very difficult to get to. Can anyone think of a reason why it cant be mounted in the space behind the breaker panel, the main power has to come in there to feed everything, so thinking about tapping it in there. I dont know of any other relays or fuses that are between the input plug and Ckt. Brkr Box. Not sure where the relay is that switches items to battery when shore power is disconnected.

shoe2728 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 05:34 AM   #2
Site Team

When I installed mine, I broke the line coming in from the AC source, installed the surge guard there. I believe that's all you have to do. One thing I would advise on, is to see if you have an empty space in the wall that you can open up and mount the unit in there. Then replace the original panel with something that you can see thru. (like plexiglass) You should be able to see the front of them so you know whats going if there is a problem. Mine has lights on the front that tells you what it's doing/whats happening.

http://www.crossroadsrv.com/forum/fo...=2154&PN=1Edited by: Old Farmer
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 06:04 AM   #3
Family Vacation Member

Only place I can put mine is behind breaker box. I was looking at one from Technorv and it has an aux. display that you can mount somewhere else. I just need to know for sure that input power runs directly to Breaker box and transfer relay (from 115v to 12v) is not wired inbetween input and Breaker box. Wiring diag. would be nice.

Old 01-16-2013, 08:53 AM   #4
Family Vacation Member

Here is a pic of my battery box with the progressive installed. My unit has generator prep, so it is pretty crowded in the battery box, but it all seems to fit.

2008.5ish Kingston KF30SB

2008 Chevy 3500 dually
sheltieRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 09:32 AM   #5
Family Vacation Member

Does it seem to work ok, I was looking at the one that has the remote display, since it will be behind the breaker box. I dont have a generator so dont have to worry about transfer box. Looked at installation inst. and looks pretty straight forward. We are going to Alaska this summer and would feel better having one installed.

Old 01-16-2013, 11:11 AM   #6
Family Vacation Member

Send a message via AIM to denlor
if you have not already bought one then get a portable which we use and no problems. also from techno rv
denlor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 03:35 AM   #7
Family Vacation Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoe2728
Does it seem to work ok, I was looking at the one that has the remote display, .

Has worked great for over 4 years and saved my behind several times. The remote would be good if you have a failure to quickly look at the cause. As an example, mine kicked off because the parks voltage went down, so I had to open the battery box to see what was happening. With a remote it would have been simpler.

I also ran into a park where the hot leads were reversed. I wondered how many people without a unit just plugged in (dangerous). My progressive would not power-up and clearly told me what the problem was.

2008.5ish Kingston KF30SB

2008 Chevy 3500 dually
sheltieRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 09:40 AM   #8
Weekend Camper

Progressive EMSHW50C, $339.00, free ship. Lawrence RV.
Old 01-21-2013, 10:58 PM   #9
Family Vacation Member

Question about those with 50 amp surge protector, If you plug into 30 amp does the surge protector still function as normal. I know in theory it probably does, but what about actual use.
thanks

Old 01-22-2013, 08:17 AM   #10
Full Time Camper

I would like the to hear the answer to that question also, as I have just gone to a 5er with 50 amp. shore power.
2022 Alliance Avenue 32RLS

In God We Trust
A proud member of the one percent...Semper Fi
sleepyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 08:31 AM   #11
Weekend Camper

Yes, no difference.
firefighter65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 11:40 AM   #12
Full Time Camper

<div ="faq_questi&#111;n collapse-trigger">SURGE GUARD 50 amp units can handle 30 amp: <div ="faq_questi&#111;n collapse-trigger">Can 50 Amp models be operated on a 120V/30 Amp, 120V/20 Amp or 120V/15 Amp power source? <div style="display: block;" ="faq_answer">

Yes, in most cases, purchased RV adapter cord sets can be used with your Surge Guard products. Note that the adapter must be configured to supply power to both input lines of the 120/240V, 50A Surge Guard. Also, the power source should be protected by a properly rated circuit breaker, so the adapter cord is not overloaded
http://www.trci.net/products/surge-g...urge-guard-faq
Old 01-24-2013, 04:11 AM   #13
Seasonal Camper

I agree, that if you haven't already bought a permanently mounted unit, you should give consideration to a portable one. If a permanently mounted surge protector gets hit by lightning or simply malfunctions you will have to rewire your 5er to continue camping. If you have a separate unit you simply unplug it to get back in business. Some people worry about theft, but I've never had a problem and I don't think it's a real concern. Any 50 amp surge protector should work on any AC source of 50 amps or less.

Dodge 3500, 2011 CF305SKP
CygnusSailor is offline   Reply With Quote